• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting vinyl with a laser

Escritar

Does anyone have experience with covering a wood substrate with vinyl, covering the vinyl with transfer tape, then laser engraving through the transfer tape and vinyl into the wood substrate and finally painting the engraved area with a contrasting color before "peeling off" the transfer tape?

petepaz

yeah i think i remember them telling us that the vinyl #1 melts and #2 no pvc products because of chemical fume issues (toxic)
might want to check with laser vendor on that one

Shadowglen

I have done this on glass and granite and wood using a high tack transfer tape. But vinyl is a no no. on a side note cutting plexi in a laser is ok but lexan is like lighting off a yellow 4th of July smoke ball in your laser. don't ask me how I know that.:covereyes:

Mosh

I do it all the time, but not laser I just cut it on my plotter, apply to wood, carve, paint, then remove the vinyl...

2.jpg

SignGuyNate

PVC is polyvinyl chloride. When you burn it with the laser, the polymers let go of the chlorine as a gas. Which is, you know... poisonous and stuff.

CanuckSigns

PVC is polyvinyl chloride. When you burn it with the laser, the polymers let go of the chlorine as a gas. Which is, you know... poisonous and stuff.

This is very true, however, saying that we on occasion will cut sign vinyl on our laser, it's such a tiny amount of PVC that I wouldn't worry about it, just make sure you have a good exhaust system!

Don't go cutting sentra in your laser like one of my competitors on the other side of town does, it doesn't make you any friends in your building!

SignGuyNate

Don't go cutting sentra in your laser like one of my competitors on the other side of town does, it doesn't make you any friends in your building!

Haven't tried cutting sentra yet. I bet it smells terrible. The guys complain enough as it is every time I laser acrylic.

Techman

When some plastics burn they create hydrochloric acid vapor. It gets into the lungs and eats until the lungs are gone. it may take a while but if enough gets in there its over. I knew a guy who burned vinyl siding once.. He didn't last 4 months. There was nothing the medical system could do for him.

pgeorge777

Does anyone have experience with covering a wood substrate with vinyl, covering the vinyl with transfer tape, then laser engraving through the transfer tape and vinyl into the wood substrate and finally painting the engraved area with a contrasting color before "peeling off" the transfer tape?

Here's an example of what your looking for without the painting.
Take a look at the wood block picture.

http://www.lasercuttinginc.us/home/lasereng

Vinyl was applied on wood and the lasered. If transfer tape was applied first, you could paint then peel only the transfer tape.

omgsideburns

Maybe just trying paint instead of vinyl.. paint the first surface > apply your transfer tape > laser > paint > remove transfer tape

You can laser vinyl as long as it's not PVC vinyl according the books that came with our lasers.. which even give how to's on cutting vinyl.