Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyber Squatting

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by ProWraps, Nov 30, 2012.

1. ProWraps

ProWraps Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    anyone have experience?

Tags:
  2. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    I might do this with a certain company. This certain company may not like me.

3. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Are you lookin' to learn the practice, or are you wanting to avoid 'em?

JB

4. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    I looked into getting a squatter off a name and it can be done.....it's just not cheap. it was going to be much, much cheaper to pay them off than to go through the legalities.\

5. JoshLoring

JoshLoring Very Active Member

I've got first hand :)
    Did branding and started a website for a client.. Client had us buy the domain. Ran out of money and disappeared.

4 months later client charged back his Amex CC after receiving logo. Clients lawyer sends us a cyber squatting letter to give the client his domain. We told the client bring us cash, no check for your chargeback and we will give you your domain. Other then that we aren't squatting because he hired us for the job.

Anyway... If the domain isn't in use for a purpose and you have a trademark then you can get them for squatting. If its a generic name like tacos.com , graphicwraps.com etc... Cyber squatting rules don't apply. It must be specific like "yourbusinessname.com"

6. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    Pat is right - cheaper and easier usually to pay them off. We had one that somehow found out about a pending name change at the hospital I worked for and bought up the domain names associated with it.

He started out wanting 10 grand for the domain name... I worked out a deal with him for a thousand bucks (stressing the fact we were going to take him to court if we couldn't settle) after our legal department told us that anything under 3 thousand would be more cost-effective to just pay him.

7. Wheeler

Wheeler Member

Feb 25, 2010
    I dont know about Cyber squatting but I know it is the buyers responsibility to make sure the name isn't trademarked before buying.
    I gave up sport-decals..com a few years back, It was easier than going to court. Got a email from a attorney and a registered letter in the mail.

What makes me mad about the whole thing, Go daddy offered me the name when the other was taken. So they can sell you a name that you cannot use.

I have been told several times I should have went to court but was easier just to let it go.

8. ova

ova Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Wheeling, WV
    That's one reason we don't have a website.

Joined a BNI group a couple of years ago. One member did websites. Ours had expired and after him checking us out, inquired about doing our new website and stressing we needed to secure our address. We were too busy into the moving the business phase at that time and explained to him we would sit down and talk after things settled.

Low and behold, he bought every name associated with our business. Next BNI meeting he explains this to me as if he was helping me out. Said when I was ready to get my new website going, he would already have the address. Just had to figure which one we wanted to use.

Still don't have a website and don't plan on getting one. Business is doing just fine without it.

Did I mention I no longer belong to BNI?

Dave

9. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    Only until I got my website up and running did I ralaize what this was. It ticked me off but you know they bought it and they were first. After I got my website up and running I was offered to but visual images.com for $400....AWESOME!...NOT!

10. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Excuse me but, never having nor wanting web site, I'm unclear here. Just what authority recognizes, protects, and enforces the ownership of these names?

Historically this is the one basic function of government, to be the authority that recognizes, protects, and enforces the ownership of private property. In fact that and all that ensues from it, things like national defense, is the ONLY legitimate function of government.

If it's not a government dealing with these names, then just how do they derive any authority to do so? What keeps anyone from telling them to pound sand and using whatever name strikes their fancy?

I guess what I asking is does this particular emperor have any clothes or are they merely running an expensive litigation ridden bluff? In other words, does simply using whatever name you like regardless of who else might think they own it carry the death penalty?

Other than trademark law, how does one 'own' a name anyway? If my name were, say, John Smith, could I seek out any other John Smiths in sue them into the ground for using 'my' name?

11. Pat Whatley

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    ICANN controls that, essentially under contract with the United States Department of Commerce and the GAC.

If you actually look into it, though, they really have no authority other than what is assumed they have. I don't know if their authority has ever been really challenged and nothing I found showed me where a law had been passed granting them the authority. I think the Commerce department just kind of told them to take care of it.

12. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Just like the days of the old wild west, these modern day claim jumpers (opportunists) are only doing what people have been doing for eons. Why should we be surprised?

JB

13. ProWraps

Sep 30, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    there are laws against it and they do get enforced. Im just interested in hearing if anyone has had to invoke them with any success.

14. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Specifiable, what laws? Please cite at least one law. Not some organization or another's rules and regulations, but an actual law as passed by a valid legislative body.

15. ProWraps

Sep 30, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
  16. HulkSmash

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    It's ok chris, Bob wears jean jackets

17. Pat Whatley

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    I thought jean jackets were the official uniform in Colorado.

18. ProWraps

Sep 30, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    OH SNAP!!!!! hahahahaha

19. HulkSmash

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    I've seen them more in alabama.

20. ProWraps