• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cyber Squatting

signswi

there are laws against it and they do get enforced. Im just interested in hearing if anyone has had to invoke them with any success.

It's actually pretty easy to get a squatted domain released these days if you have a remotely viable claim.

When it gets tricky is situations like nissan.com -- it's owned by a guy with the last name of Nissan who runs a company called Nissan Computer, not by Nissan the auto group. It's an interesting legal situation.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
god your a dick....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anticybersquatting_Consumer_Protection_Act

do i win a prize? or just more thesauric rhetoric from bob the almighty?

That's it? Trademark infringement? That's been around since there were trademarks. All this bit of legislation does is re-codify parts of existing law.

The question here is if, say, I want to launch a web site called 'BobsBank.com' and "Bob's Bank" is not someone's registered trademark, what agency under what authority can tell me I can't do that? Regardless if someone else might claim ownership to that name. We're talking about actual authority here, not huffing and puffing by someone that thinks it's in charge.

Right now it would seem that the only way one might claim valid and enforceable ownership of a name is to register it as a trademark. Otherwise there doesn't seem to be any duly constituted authority to recognize and enforce a claim of ownership.

Are you aware of any such authority? Is anyone?

ProWraps

That's it? Trademark infringement? That's been around since there were trademarks. All this bit of legislation does is re-codify parts of existing law.

The question here is if, say, I want to launch a web site called 'BobsBank.com' and "Bob's Bank" is not someone's registered trademark, what agency under what authority can tell me I can't do that? Regardless if someone else might claim ownership to that name. We're talking about actual authority here, not huffing and puffing by someone that thinks it's in charge.

Right now it would seem that the only way one might claim valid and enforceable ownership of a name is to register it as a trademark. Otherwise there doesn't seem to be any duly constituted authority to recognize and enforce a claim of ownership.

Are you aware of any such authority? Is anyone?

can you and your jean jacket please ride that pony your on into the far away sunset?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
can you and your jean jacket please ride that pony your on into the far away sunset?

I can then assume from this response that you have no answer other than that bit of wiki-redundancy you previously referenced.

Just so you know, I own no jean jacket. And that 'pony' you reference is an accomplished cow horse, by pedigree alone probably worth more than all of the equipment in your shop.

HulkSmash

I can then assume from this response that you have no answer other than that bit of wiki-redundancy you previously referenced.

Just so you know, I own no jean jacket. And that 'pony' you reference is an accomplished cow horse, by pedigree alone probably worth more than all of the equipment in your shop.

is it a jean shirt?

ProWraps

good god. your like herpes. you just never go away.

im sure your little shetland is awesome. no doubt praying for the day it breaks a leg so that it can be free of you and your 900lb thesaurus on its back.

but unless you have something worth adding to the topic, can you just roll in some valtrex and wither back from where you came until another breakout occurs?

ProWraps

btw wtf is a cow horse?

is that like half cow half horse?

Attachments

• Bob on his cow horse.jpg
    Bob on his cow horse.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 56

Mosh

Cyber squatting...that is what Edna does when there is no restroom in sight down in "Mizzooo"

HulkSmash

pau·ci·ty [paw-si-tee]
noun

1. smallness of quantity; scarcity; scantiness: a country with a paucity of resources.

for those who didn't know.