Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

detroit police cars using copyrighted image?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by The Vector Doctor, Aug 22, 2013.

1. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    Tags:
  2. SlightlyChilled

SlightlyChilled Very Active Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Hell
    WOW that is crazy... funny that they would buy a image from someone in there own town

3. omgsideburns

omgsideburns Very Active Member

Apr 15, 2008
    from the article..

4. iprint

iprint Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Arizona
    If Heather is being truthful, then said photographer has some explaining to do. Also why would the city of Detroit hire a Canadian photographer to take a photo of their city? Must not be any photographers in Detroit.

5. SlightlyChilled

Dec 19, 2009
    Hell
    Yep not in there town

6. royster13

royster13 Very Active Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Montrose BC
    Probably because in order to get that shot, one must be in Canada....Windsor Ontario...

7. SlightlyChilled

Dec 19, 2009
    Hell
    point is someone stole that guys photo

8. royster13

Apr 3, 2009
    Montrose BC
    They are similar but certainly not the same images......No theft here.....

9. crossface

crossface New Member

Jul 9, 2012
    The article says the photographer was from Grosse Pointe, this is a city bordering Detroit. It is not in Canada. Although, the statement is correct about needing to be in Windsor Canada to get that shot

10. bikecomedy

bikecomedy Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Not only do the clouds match the lights on every building the same windows have there lights on or off respectively..

check it out http://youtu.be/xwnKtY_Rslw

If two photos have been taken... the odds are incredible to get such a close match.

11. royster13

Apr 3, 2009
    Montrose BC
    Now that I have seen that comparison, I have to back track a bit......Maybe they are the same.....

12. iprint

iprint Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Arizona
    Are US citizens not allowed to take photos in Canada? My point was more the fact that in a city that is hurting as bad as Detroit, why would they send business outside of their city? Also, have you looked at the two photos in question? The probability that two photos were taken from the same vantage point with the same clouds and same lighting is highly unlikely.

13. dale911

dale911 President

Jan 31, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    pretty annoying

It's not a spectacular photo in any way. I'm sure the city has plenty of photographers, even within the police department. If they like an image of the skyline, why not just go over and shoot it and then add color where needed to get it to look like what they want. The original photographer really shouldn't be able to copyright the photo as art anyway when the subject of the photograph is public domain. It's pretty ridiculous. If the photo really was owned by the photographer, he knows the city is broke anyway and should be honored that someone liked it enough to use it or use something similar. Everyone is always out to get paid. Certainly not what this country was founded on.

14. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    Are you serious? The skyline may be public domain, but HIS photo is not. If it were that simple, why didn't they send the secretary out with a polariod , to capture the shot? Thats like saying someone could steal your sign layout, and rationalize it by saying, YOU do not own the alphabet.

He should be honored that someone liked it enough to steal it??? LMAO really? Given that his profession is a professional photographer, that dosen't put food on the table, now does it?

Ole Ben Franklin didn't invent the kite, or the key dangling from the string either......let alone the bolt of lightning he attracted.

15. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    They used his photo for mockup purposes, they bought a different photo that was used on the actual cars.

16. bikecomedy

bikecomedy Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Ah good catch Pat! Details details.

17. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    ah yes the update was added after I posted the link to the story. I wonder if he has a case since it was only a mockup. I think many stock photo sites allow for the usage of mockups since they are usually low res and stamped with a watermark.

although i don't believe his photo was made available at a stock photo site. It is an unfortunate side effect of displaying your photos on public sites

18. phototec

phototec Very Active Member

May 23, 2008
    Belton
    UPDATE from the phototgraper - Bobby Alcott

Here is an UPDATE from the phototgraper - Bobby Alcott:

First of all, thanks to all of you for the outpouring of support. It means the world to me.

My good friend Jeff Wattrick from Deadline Detroit showed me photos of the ACTUAL cars they rolled out today, and I'm thrilled to say that they are NOT using my photo! They bought a photo from a Canadian artist, from what I understand.
    That being said, the DDP is still responsible for using my photo for t...
    he mockups and rollouts that they disseminated across the media for months. However, when it came to the cars, they evidently did it right.
    I'm very happy this is over so we can all get on with our lives. However, if anything positive comes out of this, I hope that people start respecting copyright of all types.

Thanks again. Lets all get some rest now.

https://www.facebook.com/bobbya?fref=ts

19. dale911

dale911 President

Jan 31, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm not saying to steal the guy's photo. I'm saying that a skyline pic isn't a difficult thing to shoot and shoot well and that they very well could send anyone with a decent camera out to take the pic to replicate the image without stealing it. As far as mockups are concerned since we now know that was the case, I'm sure I'm not the only one that uses copyrighted work for a mockup until we get the go ahead and purchase the image. I'm not buying an image that I'm not going to use just so a client can see what it "could" look like. That's just dumb. We purchase the art for using it.

20. HDvinyl

HDvinyl Trump 2020

Nov 20, 2008
    halfway house.
    Detroit Police have stolen a lot more worse things than photos.