• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

digital cameras

what camera company do you like the most and would recommend to someone looking for a

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

signmeup

You need a camera with a short shutter lag time, and image stabilization for low light shots without flash. Canon sounds like your best bet. Watch out for IS that is only a high ISO setting....you want a mechanical IS system.
Stevesdigicams is another good camera review site for people who don't speak "photographer".
I have a couple of Fujis and a Canon XT.

Rooster

Look on the web for hacks on the point and click models.

In a ton of cases the higher iso settings, raw files and resolution increases are possible. The cameras are capable of more, but the manufacturers throttle them back.

animenick65

IS is irrelevant on consumer cameras. Most are designed to use flash in 75% of situations which negates the need for IS. Don't spend the extra money for features you don't need.

jiarby

It may be pilot error, but my Nikon could be better at macro shots, and sometimes the auto focus doesn't work like you want it to.

My next one will probably be a DSLR rather than a point & click.

flyinhawaiian968

Buy a camera from a CAMERA company. Nikon, olympus, canon. And go with the biggest lens. They know what they're doing and have been for decades.
I have a old 2.1 megapixel olympus camera that takes better looking pictures than my wifes 5mp canon. Bigger, better lens. Don't confuse megapixel with image quality. Crappy lens with high megapixel just means you have more crap. Of course neither one would work for anything larger for a wideformat.

Lemme guess, a C2100Z? 10x optical zoom, takes incredible photos! Had one of them for years, its still going strong, but about 4 years ago I got a Nikon D70, which is one hell of a camera! And, with a 17~35mm lens, I can shoot patterns off cars with very little pincushion issues!

Of course, that doesn't help 'kiss' issue! I'd say try looking for a used higher-end camera from Canon/Nikon on fleabay, you'll get a lot more for your money with so many folks upgrading to bigger and better cameras!

Another great place to get some technical info is www.dpreview.com, they are always a great place to research and compare digital cameras.

Chris

animenick65

Lemme guess, a C2100Z? 10x optical zoom, takes incredible photos! Had one of them for years, its still going strong, but about 4 years ago I got a Nikon D70, which is one hell of a camera! And, with a 17~35mm lens, I can shoot patterns off cars with very little pincushion issues!

Of course, that doesn't help 'kiss' issue! I'd say try looking for a used higher-end camera from Canon/Nikon on fleabay, you'll get a lot more for your money with so many folks upgrading to bigger and better cameras!

Another great place to get some technical info is www.dpreview.com, they are always a great place to research and compare digital cameras.

Chris

I still use a d70 as my backup camera on assignments and weddings. Love that thing. Sure it has some WB and exposure issues, but its a great little cam. Are you reffering to the 17-35 2.8? A beast of a lens, but one of the best Nikon has ever made.

slappy

i've been looking at the pricing on them all. Overstock.com sells refurbished models of some. I don't mind that at all cause my Sony Vaio is refurbed and i've had it for 4 years

Cy Fan

IMO camers are camers, as long the one has all the features you want like megapixels, opti zoom, stabilizer, etc. brand names are not that important.

ShawnLVESP

This is what I use. Cannon Powershot A630

Awesome camera
love the features
uses 4 AA batteries (i use energizer rechargables)
Nicest feature is that the veiw screen flips out and can swing around. If you wanna take a pic at an odd angle, no problemo just swing the veiw screen around.
1st camera took a swim and got a 2nd one

one bad or funny thing that happened to me with this camera is... I left it at the fire station one night and the next crew decided to take over 550 pics to fill up the mem card(2gigs and space was still left) They took picture of every stupid thing including themselves. They even left a note "enjoy the pictures... night shift"

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...&fcategoryid=183&modelid=14108#ModelDetailAct

rcboats1

For a point and shoot I use a Canon A650IS. For the stuff that pays I use a Canon 20D. Did I mention that I like Canon.

Raulrdz

I have always been a Canon fan, I still think they are great cameras, but I came across a great deal on an Olympus Evolt 300 a couple years ago. It is built like a tank, has a ultrasonic sensor cleaner and even my buddy who owns a Canon Rebel Digital agrees the Olympus renders colors better. As for a point and shoot a friend of mine who is the tech at our local Staples sold me on an HP. I have had bad experiences with HP cameras in the past, as far a photo quality, but she assured me they had improved their cameras. So far I have been impressed with this point and shoot, and I paid less $100 for it.

Jillbeans

I have a virtually idiot proof little Fuji that Stevo got me for my birthday 4 years ago.
I haven't killed it yet and it takes nice pix.
Love.....Jill

Sign Works

Well I'm definetly no camera buff but for the last 9 years I've been really happy with my Olympus E-10 Digital SLR, works great for the business. I just purchased a Canon A650 IS compact digital camera primarily for carrying on the bike for those scenic shots along my rides throught Northern California and beyond, cool little camera, I believe it's the only one of Canons that has a pivoting/swivel monitor, you can turn it and view what your shooting from practically any angle.:thumb:

Ken

A camera that will use 4 AA batteries is a good thing. I use the NiMH batteries..watch the amp/hour rating on the batteries you buy. I think ours are 2100?
My first Olympus ( 3.2 mp) is still working fine. Easy to use. the flash is not very bright.
Picked up a Canon S3 year and a half ago for the wife..I haven't really used it, but she seems to like it...bit of a learning curve on that one.
I'm voting Olympus.
Cheers!
Ken

Lunatic Taskbar

I use a Nikon D40x with a 4gig 150x SD card.
Very nice camera very fast shots. But not in the price range you want. and its certainly not pocketable LOL

synergy_jim

well.....

I have a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D

Its the precursor to the new sony dslr's since sony bought them.

my 5D has built in image stabilization in the camera instead of in the lens, so it makes buying lenses much cheaper since they dont have to build stabilization into every lense.

mystysue

I have a kodak easyshare z650. It actually is a great camera.. we bought the dock and the rechargable batteries for it.. The camera i got has a Schneider Kreuznack lens and I can add other lens.. Its alot less expensive than many cameras out there.. but takes excellent pictures and is really easy to use.. which was one of the the things i wanted.. My B-friend has used alot of cameras.. He used to take pictures for Hot VW Magazine and nhra races and magazines . after he used my camera and saw the pictures it took He bought one for himself and one for each of his boys.. ..
There are cameras out there that have more bells and whistles but for the bang for the buck.. this is a easy to use, camera that takes great pics.

killergraphics

My Big one is a olympus e-10, even though it is a $2500 camera you can get them now for a few 100 dollors on ebay. But to be even more portable about 3 months ago I bought a Fuji Film S700, 7.1 mega pixels and am very impressed with it. (walmart) about $200 I think. I use mine as a scanner also for taking pictures for my customers. Like Sue said you can get very good ones now days for a $100 that will fit in a pocket. Stay with a name brand.

hammered

I have an older Canon 3.2mp and havent had an issue yet. W/o any compression at full res it takes great shots. I like the macro feature for product pictures. I had one issue (my fault) and Canon stepped up and took care of it free of charge long after the warranty was up. All I paid was shipping there and back. The nice thing about my A75 is it takes 4AAs and I use PowerEx rechargeables. I get loads of photos per charge and with a 1G CF card, I get over 600 images.

3dsignco

For Semi Pro and Pro Cameras I am A Nikon. Freak.. Still have my first Manual 35mm Nikon from High School (But I do have my Old Pentax K1000 also which I still use for Black and White.)

We bought a Nikon D100 a few years ago and just Love it but they are definitely not in the lower price range once you start adding lenses. I think we have about 5K wrapped in our setup so far and still adding when I find one of those lenses I just can't live without for that one picture that I will take one Day. :rolleyes: (its worse then a Crack habit)

Like Weasel we do have an Old Olympus Camedia 2100 that we use in the shop all the time and it is a very Solid Camera for Vehicle shots and the like for job work.