Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

digital printing on aluminium composite material (dibond, valubond, etc)

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by Terence, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Terence

Terence New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    I run an OCE Arizona 350XT flatbed printer and have had one heck of a time printing on aluminium composite material. After gently peeling away the protective film that the material is covered with, I still get "chatter marks" or light spots in the print. I have tried every chemical I can think of to clean the surface as well. 99% alcohol, 91% alcohol, mask-off & windex, just to name a few. The streaks and spots are driving me nuts!!!! Help!!!

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Welcome from PA..........................

3. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    welcome
    i run that stuff through my roland lej640 with no problems. after i peel the mask i wipe with rubbing alcohol and then print (not sure how durable it is outdoors ..yet...i just made some job signs for a friend so i will soon find out)

4. LarryB

LarryB Member

Dec 3, 2006
    Webster, Texas
    Try using an empty material core and tape it up to the protective film and roll it into the core.

5. Aklaim

Aklaim Member

Sep 8, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Check your lamp settings. Sounds like you have the lamps too high.

6. StarSign

StarSign Active Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Is it usually just lighter colors?

7. Terence

Terence New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Adhesion is not the problem. And it happens with all colors, light and dark.

8. LarryB

LarryB Member

Dec 3, 2006
    Webster, Texas
    The chatter and streak marks are likely from when you were removing the protective liner. Try taking the liner off with an empty core and see how it prints afterwards. When I had a Gerber Ion this was the only way I could get dibond to print without the streaks.

9. Terence

Terence New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Tried rolling onto core as well, still get the streaks :(

10. Grizzly

Grizzly Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    Agfa 1224 hdc

I have issues sometimes too with light colors showing streaks, especially if i don't pull the covering off evenly. We've been printing on on covered Masonite and the only way we have figured out how to remedy the streaking is to have one person wipe with a soaked lacquer thinner rag and one person behind to dry. This is a little trickier on aluminum though, but it can work if it is a last resort. When you wipe with the alcohol, does it show the rag streaks? I guess you could try to have someone dry right behind you and see if that gets you any results. I wish the inks would cover like they used to. On my Jeti 3150, we could sand and lacquer thinner and alcohol just about anything and it would only show if it was an extremely light color like under 25% ink.