• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

digital printing on aluminium composite material (dibond, valubond, etc)

Terence

I run an OCE Arizona 350XT flatbed printer and have had one heck of a time printing on aluminium composite material. After gently peeling away the protective film that the material is covered with, I still get "chatter marks" or light spots in the print. I have tried every chemical I can think of to clean the surface as well. 99% alcohol, 91% alcohol, mask-off & windex, just to name a few. The streaks and spots are driving me nuts!!!! Help!!!

petepaz

welcome
i run that stuff through my roland lej640 with no problems. after i peel the mask i wipe with rubbing alcohol and then print (not sure how durable it is outdoors ..yet...i just made some job signs for a friend so i will soon find out)

LarryB

Adhesion is not the problem. And it happens with all colors, light and dark.

The chatter and streak marks are likely from when you were removing the protective liner. Try taking the liner off with an empty core and see how it prints afterwards. When I had a Gerber Ion this was the only way I could get dibond to print without the streaks.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
Agfa 1224 hdc

I have issues sometimes too with light colors showing streaks, especially if i don't pull the covering off evenly. We've been printing on on covered Masonite and the only way we have figured out how to remedy the streaking is to have one person wipe with a soaked lacquer thinner rag and one person behind to dry. This is a little trickier on aluminum though, but it can work if it is a last resort. When you wipe with the alcohol, does it show the rag streaks? I guess you could try to have someone dry right behind you and see if that gets you any results. I wish the inks would cover like they used to. On my Jeti 3150, we could sand and lacquer thinner and alcohol just about anything and it would only show if it was an extremely light color like under 25% ink.