• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you add your Logo...

When doing a project do you often add your info somewhere for self advertising?

• Total voters

animenick65

We put them on most of our banners. If only for the simple fact that it lets whoever bought it remember where they got it so they can order more in the future or get date changes. For some of the large companies that we do work for it helps to put stickers on banners and such as their management and marketing division can change heads often. This lets whoever fills the spot know where the banner was made.

weaselboogie

I read something on here one time about this exact thing.

They never put their logo on any sign work. If whoever sees your sign wants to know who did it (because they think it's that good) they will track down the owner of the sign and ask them. Imagine the pride that the owner must feel about his sign. He may have paid more than he wanted to, but now if he KNOWS that people appreciate it, it becomes an item of presitge.

If somebody can help me out who wrote it, I'd appreciate it. He wrote a 10 page paper on his philosophy on signs. I read it, but I don't recall who wrote it.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
You pull all the manufacturer emblems off too? How about all the manufaturer labels on everything else you buy? Spend a lot of time grinding "Stanley" off that hammer you bought?

We're a manufacturer...why should we be any different?...

No. The manufacturer's identification identifies what the thing itself is. It says so right on the vehicle's registration. I refused to take delivery of my S2000 until a menial from the dealership removed their label, much to the chagrin of the upper echelons there at the dealer. It is a Honda, but it's not Bignut Autorama's Honda, it's my Honda.

Referring to yourself as a manufacturer in the same sense of GM or Ford or Stanley or whomever is a most amusing exercise in tortured reasoning.

iSign

I read something on here one time about this exact thing.

They never put their logo on any sign work. If whoever sees your sign wants to know who did it (because they think it's that good) they will track down the owner of the sign and ask them. Imagine the pride that the owner must feel about his sign. He may have paid more than he wanted to, but now if he KNOWS that people appreciate it, it becomes an item of presitge.

If somebody can help me out who wrote it, I'd appreciate it. He wrote a 10 page paper on his philosophy on signs. I read it, but I don't recall who wrote it.
Bob Stephens (Sign Maniac) wrote it, and i was wondering if I should find the link again. You probably read it because i posted the link a few times. It is a truely must-read bit of marketing advice.

I'll go find it for you.

Checkers

An artist always signs his work! I can't count the number of times I've gotten business this way.
The only time I don't sign my work is when I'm subbing for another company or the client provides all the designs and specs.
BTW, In some municipalities, the sign code requires you to put your "manufacturers label" on certain types (mainly electric) of signs.

Checkers

GB2

Old Member
If you have any reservations about signing or labeling your work, you should put a clause in your quote, which allows you to do such a thing, particularly if it is going on the face of a sign or a wrap.

Pat, that was an interesting philosophy, I dunno Bob, I think I'd have to agree that in fact we are the manufacturers of custom products.

Merriam Webster
Main Entry: man·u·fac·tur·er
Function: noun
Pronunciation: -'fak-ch&r-&r, -'fak-shr&r
: one that manufactures ; especially : an employer of workers in manufacturing

Main Entry: 1man·u·fac·ture
Function: noun
Pronunciation: "man-y&-'fak-ch&r, "ma-n&-
Etymology: Middle French, from Medieval Latin manufactura, from Latin manu factus, literally, made by hand
1 : something made from raw materials by hand or by machinery
2 a : the process of making wares by hand or by machinery especially when carried on systematically with division of labor b : a productive industry using mechanical power and machinery
3 : the act or process of producing something

Main Entry: 2manufacture
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): -tured ; man·u·fac·tur·ing/-'fak-ch&-ri[ng], -'fak-shri[ng]/
transitive senses
1 : to make into a product suitable for use
2 a : to make from raw materials by hand or by machinery b : to produce according to an organized plan and with division of labor
3 : INVENT , FABRICATE
4 : to produce as if by manufacturing : CREATE <writers who manufacture stories for television>
intransitive senses : to engage in manufacture
- manufacturing noun

Craig Sjoquist

I can tell which jobs

yes when I do put my name on the ad ... a new customer will refer to name on what store ..... and customers will refer to the name on the ad to get my name / number

so all ads I create, big enough to be seen and or several others I'd say 80 % atleast get my name / number lettered on

still enjoy hand lettering

cOrKinSA

It would be, but I think that if your logo is big enough for someone to see it
would detract from the design and perhaps even leave a bad taste in
someones mouth. If I saw a big logo on say a nice HDU sign I would think 'so if
I buy from them I get to have their logo stuck to the face of my sign'. I would
rather be subtle in that case and let word of mouth do the advertising.
I was thinking more of simple line text or maybe an image that would take somewhere around .05% of the surface area of the sign.

May I ask those who voted "NO" the reason why it isn't a good thing to do it?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
May I ask those who voted "NO" the reason why it isn't a good thing to do it?

I have no idea whether it's a good thing or not, only that it offends my sense of propriety.

ManningSigns

Most of the time I forget to. I have done some snowmobiles and had the people ask for my sticker. I don't put my logo on a sign if I think it takes away from the sign, and if I do it is always a decal of it's own so if they want to take it off they can. Other times Iwill put it on the back of the sign so they know where to go to reorder.

buckeyedesigns

I actually picked up a bunch of business from a large company because the local FastSigns plastered their name everywhere. The client told them to stop and they wouldn't. After 5 years they have lost about 60k because of that. I never put my badging on something the customer paid for because of that.

Buckeye deSigns, LLC

thetintguys

tag line

i have a sign in the shop that lets you know i add my tag line to everything i do - but there is a fee that i charge if you do not want it.