• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you keep your cutter running all day?

goldunicorn77

Do you keep your plotter on all day or do you shut it off in between cutting jobs or if you break for lunch or something like that...my hubby is always getting on me for turning off the plotter in between my cutting jobs--he says I should just leave it on even if I am not going to be using if for say a half hour to an hour or so...whats the best recomendation?:thankyou:

WVB

Turn it on 10am turn it off at lunch time. Come back from lunch turn it on, turn it off at closing 6pm...

Pat Whatley

We never turn off the computers or the plotters. Both are running through dual surge protectors and a battery backup system and haven't been off in several years.

Pro Image

The only time I cut them off is when Im going to be gone for over 5 days...........Then I might not also......

ChiknNutz

I almost always turn off the cutter. More important, though, is making sure you raise the pinch wheels when not in use. Otherwise, you'll flatten them some and hinder tracking.

THATgirl

on or off

Funny you should mention this. I keep my computers on, but turn my plotter off at night. I just got another computer and decided to turn my old one off (it hadn't been turned off in forever) but when I tried to turn it back on it didn't work. This happened to me before too. So now I am leaving my computers on all the time. I think turning them on and off is harder on them than leaving them on all the time.

WVB

I think turning them on and off is harder on them than leaving them on all the time.

This use to be true on the OLDER computers... Now-a-days its easier - plus you save A LOT on electricity by turning everything off..!

Techman

I think turning them on and off is harder on them than leaving them on all the time.

USed to be true .. especially years ago when power supplies didnt have a delay till full power on feature.

They used to turn on and try to regulate but still allow whatever power voltage into the circuits. Sometimes that would allow a full line voltge surge thru a low voltage area. Burn, burn burn,,

However, late model power supplies delay the full power on until every thing is fully regulated and ready to run, then allow the power to reach the circuits. A good example of this is when you turn on your stereo. You hear a click then a short pause then hear the sound ..

as for a cutter.. like most solid state systems...the power usage when idle is so low that it hardly matters.

petepaz

i turn mine off only because it is in the office and is loud but if i am using it a lot that day i leave it on
we also have 2 versa camms
they are on all the time and have a sleep mode

slappy

you people are crazy to keep them on all the time....

if i know it's going to storm, i unplug computer and all

i have drove up here just to unplug if it's storming out.....
and i live 15 minutes away

i just don't want to take the chance of losing anything due to lightning

ovrcafnatd

I'm the same way Slapakiss - heck I even unplug our washer/dryer ;)
a bit freaked out by power problems we get here.

But, I do keep computer on all the time
I guess I only reboot it 1ce every 2 weeks or so.
I only unplug everything when a storm is coming.

I turn on/off plotter as needed....I just don't cut that much