• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you really need a phone # on your sign?

mesheau

Local pizza place changed their name, I created a new logo. Including new sign.

Artwork was approved and sign has been installed. I left out the phone number on the sign because to me it makes no sense to have it. Now the client has returned stating they want the number on there. Obviously this would be at the expense of the client as the original artwork was approved.

But, why would they want a phone number on their sign? To me, it's a cluttering element. If I want to order pizza at home, I'll look the number up on google. I'm not going to go to the location, look at the sign and call the number. So, to me, it's unnecessary. I don't understand why people do this in the first place, it's a take out joint. 99.9% of calls are coming from a residents. not some guy standing out on the sidewalk starring at the sign to get the number.

What do you think?

Zx360

I've felt the same way for a long time, but sadly have always failed at convincing clients of this. Along with clients who insist I add the "www." (Or worse yet the http://), refuse to let me camel case websites on those hard to read or long websites, or want a # in front of a phone number... I will never understand these people.

CanuckSigns

I agree 100%, however some business owners seem to think that you should put every piece of contact info on their sign "just in case" cause they are terrified they might loose a sale.

explain to your customer that adding another element to the sign will make the important copy less effective. Offer to put the phone number on his door or window in vinyl ( where it belongs)

ask him to show you one case where a big successful pizza place (Pizza Hut, poppa johns etc) has their phon number on their sign.

visual800

sise by side artwork. Their BS suggestion and my suggestion, will (sometimes) make them see the light. But more than a phone number I am SO SICK of seeing a damn LLC on a sign. Save that crap for the letterhead, the public does not care to see that and it trashes signs

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I don't think they are necessary either. In Kansas City, most of the suburbs didn't allow a PH#. With signs limited to 10% of the storefront, 95% of the business owners never asked. I did a google drive down one of the streets in your town and there appears to be very few sign ordinances. At least a third of the business I saw had a phone number on their sign and another third had them on the door or a window. It's hard to convince them otherwise when everyone else is doing it.

ph.jpg

Craig Sjoquist

Depends on business & how they attract customers.

In this case a average pizza business..a BIG YES...Pizza is normally order from a phone call, even to this day with internet & it should be clearly read from the farthest distance if possible.

They are a spontaneous businesses ..Example your driving by & it's game night, ya thinking aww heck don't want to cook ..PIZZA yeah & ya call. Just like a used car dealer they need every way possible to get a hold of them.

Now normally on a jewelry store you do not do that or many other types were you have already made up your mind you want jewelry or whatever.

I get customers all the time that forget info ...But I charge for it ahead of time cause it will happen regardless sooner or later, then when they request addition info & just letter it on, they are thrilled I didn't get weird & pull the one arm bandit, of course sometimes ya just have to charge & they expect it & it is alot easier to charge.

mesheau

Just updated my local. Town is about 5000 people, small shops. There's one other pizza place in town (out of 5) that has a phone number on their sign.

Even if you're driving in your car past the store by the time you realize that yes indeed I would like pizza for supper you're to far away to catch the number. Besides even driving by trying to catch the number doesn't sound to viable. You want pizza because you saw a sign that says pizza, not because you saw a phone number.

Jillbeans

I don't have one on mine.
I try to talk people out of them (and the LLC ugh)
I can see the need for the # on some things but on a sign directly on the building itself? No.
Maybe on the door, with the hours.
Love....Jill

gabagoo

I think with a Pizza shop a phone number can't hurt....have to drill it into their heads ya know.
I find it strange when people want me to put their email address on a truck or sign.... a web site is fine, but Ronald.shlongbonger@hotmail.com just doesn't do it for me

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
To me, the phone number on a storefront sign is like having the address on the sign. You don't need the address if you're already in the parking lot. Just the same as most people aren't going to pull into the parking lot to get the phone number off the sign, but I guess it could happen. Phone numbers are about to get worse too. 10 digit calling becomes mandatory on Saturday in my neck of the woods.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A well made sign is just that..... a sign. It advertises who you are and hopefully what you do. Laundry sits, phone numbers and all that other garbage they muster up has nothing to do with who they are.

My spiel is this.... ask them before they make a decision...... to go around town, malls and large stores and see how many successful businesses have their phone number on the sign.

As mentioned, the phone number can go on the door or in the bottom corner of the window, but why mess up a well made sign with a phone number ??

On the other hand, the biggest culprits of abusing this information are.... Pizza shops, Chinese Restaurants and Beauty Salons. Sometimes, it's just easier to give in to them, collect your money and just remember..... they toss around pizzas for a living, not advertising ideas. As long as you have red, green and some guy smiling with a mustache, you're good.

Techman

this debate can be settled by answering a question.

Is the sign to be used as specific advertising or generic advertising.

If it is used as specific then it has the phone number.. Fliers, website, coupons, etc..

If it is generic then it has no phone number.. Placement signs, logo, Sign on the pylons, signs on the building etc.

royster13

this debate can be settled by answering a question.

Is the sign to be used as specific advertising or generic advertising.

If it is used as specific then it has the phone number.. Fliers, website, coupons, etc..

If it is generic then it has no phone number.. Placement signs, logo, Sign on the pylons, signs on the building etc.

True, but most of us here are already smarter than our clients......LOL...

Steve C.

I see nothing wrong with phone numbers on signs, it depends on the business.
I get calls all the time from someone sayin
g " got your number off one of your
tucks" ( only have one truck, but they don't know that.) or " was just driving
by your place and wondered if you.............."
Now maybe if they saw my truck they would remember the name and look me
up on google. Fact is I am way down on the google listing so chances are they
would find another sign shop before mine or a shop that was closer. And maybe
the person driving by would have turned around and came inside. Who knows
for sure. Phone number on truck and sign works for me.... thats just my take.

Techman

I get calls all the time from someone sayin g " got your number off one of your tucks" ( only have one truck, but they don't know that.)

A perfect example of specific marketing. A vehicle is especially specific. Look at a truck and many times one immediately knows how the vehicle is used. Ladders, lawn mowers etc. Likewise, it carries a phone number.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So..... how many Pizza Hut delivery cars have the phone number on them ??

Seriously, a vehicle, sign out the middle of nowhere or just a job sign can benefit greatly with the phone number on it, but I thought we were talking about a sign above the guy's front window or hanging right in front of the front door.

How do these storylines get tuned so inside out ?? :banghead:

TammieH

What's worse a phone number on your business sign or listing every damn thing you do on your vehicle :banghead:

Or are we being a bit arrogant with our designs and hate to see our nice layouts junked up with a list of garbage on the vehicles.

I am sure you have had customers stand over your shoulder and think of everything they do,

next, people will listing their hobbies as well LOL

Techman

So..... how many Pizza Hut delivery cars have the phone number on them ??

Seriously, a vehicle, sign out the middle of nowhere or just a job sign can benefit greatly with the phone number on it, but I thought we were talking about a sign above the guy's front window or hanging right in front of the front door.

How do these storylines get tuned so inside out ??

Because some just have to come up with just one more "what if" scenario no matter how obscure to show they know more than anyone else....

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I'm having my phone number tattooed to my left buttock...

Normally I try to get them to put a phone number on the window or door.
I hate clutter on an ID sign. Luckily for me, most codes restrict phone numbers
on an ID sign.