• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dogs Anyone?

Sign_Boy

So I've been wanting to get a dog for quite a while now and have yet to find the right one.
I've been searching pet finder (I feel like adopting is the right thing to do) I have also done a good amount of research.
I do have a few breeds in mind. Two of which I have had in the past and two I have spent plenty of time with.
I'd rather not mention them now because I don't want this to turn into a - "You should get this one - that one is no good...." thing.

I was wondering if you have a dog what breed is it and why would you recommend it?
Yes, I do understand each dog has it's own personality so not all breeds fit their stereotype.

If you have pictures to share that would be fun.:thumb:

I'm a big believe in Cesar Millan (The Dog Whisperer) and his show, books, cds, etc. He says the most important thing to do when picking a dog is to choose a dog that matches your energy. If you are laid-back and chill, don't get a feisty little dog that is always on the go. If you are always on the go, don't get a bloodlhound that wants to sleep on the porch all day.

I'd recommend googling his website. I'm sure it has tips on how to pick your pet. I know there have been episodes of his show devoted to this, maybe you can find part of one on youtube.

omgsideburns

I'd just look for the dog you like.. the one who's smile catches your eye.. and very nice of you to adopt.

I've always had good luck with mutts. My last dog was a rott/lab mix (jason) and was the best dog ever.. we just picked up a dalmation/st bernard mix (frankie) who is a total sweetie..

Pick the dog you like.. some of the personality traits are bred in them, but a lot of it has to do with proper socialization and training.. Bringing them around lots other animals and people and situations (loud noises, roads, busy outdoor events,etc.) so that they can get used to it.. and check out the cesar books, his methods are very true.. It's really about your personality and the way you interact with a dog that determines how well they listen and follow.

Heres Jason (rip) and Frankie (11 weeks now)

Attachments

• jason.jpg
    jason.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 85
  • frankie.jpg
    frankie.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 97

Tim Aucoin

We have two Poodle Shitzu's... smaller breed, maybe not your type, but thought I'd share anyhow. Huge benefit is they don't shed and are hypo-allergenic dogs. Being part poodle, they are quite smart. Harley & Diesel!

Not to start a debate, these guys only eat RAW... no commercial kibble for them! And they're both very healthy!

Attachments

• DSC_0507_2.jpg
    DSC_0507_2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC_0534.jpg
    DSC_0534.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 94
  • HarleyPortrait.jpg
    HarleyPortrait.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 73

CheapVehicleWrap

Had several female and 1 male Basset hounds. Prefer the females. Great dogs. Very fast runners too and umm.. chick magnets to boot :)

Respect for the adoption, I'm sure you know about the pet stores already.

ova

We recently purchased a building in another part of town. I was doing the demo work myself to save some money. One Sunday afternoon someone pulled into the parking lot behind the building and pitched a puppy out the door then took off.

It is some kind of black lab/ ?????? mix. It has webbed toes. I don't think it was weened before it got tossed. Didn't know how to eat out of a bowl. I took it home, gave it a bath, some puppy chow, a little TLC and have had it for three months. The vet thinks it's only about 4 months since it still has it's milk teeth. Weighs 37 lbs now and we're both doing fine. We got it all it's shots and it will get snipped (ouch !!!!!) next month.

I guess you could say the dog came with the building. Comes to work everyday with me and cries when I'm not around. Our last dog died of cancer about 2 years ago, so the timing was just right when all this went down.

Dave

d fleming

Dobermans, have 5. Mom, dad and three pups that just turned 1. Mom is blue, Dad is blk/tan, one red pup and two blk/tan. I love the breed. They are loyal, love to be in physical contact with those they love and very protective. Never had any problems with behavior. Best family pet I've ever had, both my children were raised with dobes. SHort haired, easy to groom. I've had other breeds in my life and loved them all but my dobes are definitely my favorite.

Attachments

• dude.jpg
    dude.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 75
  • darla playing frisbee.jpg
    darla playing frisbee.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 75
  • gingerplaying.jpg
    gingerplaying.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 68
  • stancrashed.jpg
    stancrashed.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 88
  • babies.jpg
    babies.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 90
  • zdog.jpg
    zdog.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 69

d fleming

We recently purchased a building in another part of town. I was doing the demo work myself to save some money. One Sunday afternoon someone pulled into the parking lot behind the building and pitched a puppy out the door then took off.

It is some kind of black lab/ ?????? mix. It has webbed toes. I don't think it was weened before it got tossed. Didn't know how to eat out of a bowl. I took it home, gave it a bath, some puppy chow, a little TLC and have had it for three months. The vet thinks it's only about 4 months since it still has it's milk teeth. Weighs 37 lbs now and we're both doing fine. We got it all it's shots and it will get snipped (ouch !!!!!) next month.

I guess you could say the dog came with the building. Comes to work everyday with me and cries when I'm not around. Our last dog died of cancer about 2 years ago, so the timing was just right when all this went down.

Dave

Awesome, you've got a friend for life.

J Hill Designs

Got this bad boy from the humane society last november - sweetest dog in the world (quite a pain in the a$$ at times too, but we love him) - Bodey - 7 mos at the time of this picture

He had the markings of a rott, the facial features of a lab, but his rott markings are grey not tan so we think theres some german shepherd or something in the mix

Attachments

• 0424001112.jpg
    0424001112.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 88

Boomer

One of my best dogs was a "mutt" that we found in a shopping center.He was mostly black lab mixed with who knows what. He had a mellow personality. I have mostly had mixed breeds and have had good luck with them. Although the current two are pure bred basset hounds,one of which was a rescue.If you are not set on a certain breed I would look around and let the dog pick you.The dog will know if you are a smart enough to train.

ABPGraphics

I'm a big believe in Cesar Millan (The Dog Whisperer) and his show, books, cds, etc. He says the most important thing to do when picking a dog is to choose a dog that matches your energy. If you are laid-back and chill, don't get a feisty little dog that is always on the go. If you are always on the go, don't get a bloodlhound that wants to sleep on the porch all day.

I'd recommend googling his website. I'm sure it has tips on how to pick your pet. I know there have been episodes of his show devoted to this, maybe you can find part of one on youtube.

:goodpost:

I am hooked on that show!

Sign_Boy

Signcrafters -
I agree, I'm a bit of both laid-back and on the go.

omgsideburns -
Great looking dogs.
If and when I get a dog I plan on socializing the heck out of her

T3 -
Great action shot were they fighting over the raw steak?

wraps -
The women love the dogs, that's for sure

ova -
That's awesome, It's funny how things happen

d fleming -
5 wow that will keep you busy

My last dog was a Lab Husky Shepherd Mix
She weighed in at about 130lbs
Here are 2 pics 1 as a puppy and the other as an adult

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 99

Joe Diaz

Get a weiner dog.

:goodpost:

Dachshunds are the best little dogs. They have huge personalities. My parents have a miniature long-haired dachshund. In fact, I'm babysittin her right now.

Extremely low maintenance and great indoor pet, The only thing you need to do is watch their diet. Don't feed a wiener dog too much or they will have major back problems.

Otherwise I would recommend a mutt. For what ever reason they make great pets.

cleanmywound

I have 2 boxers. One female 5 months old and one male 7.5years old. They are the best dogs I have ever had. I won't get another breed. They are great with kids and can be protective when needed. My male is a beast at 85 lbs, only barks when the ups man stops. He wont bark at other dogs but will smack them around if they get too agressive. Most people think he is a bad a$$ dog because he looks mean, but he is a needy gentle dog.

John L

Dont let it get around but....

I got a lil weener.

Attachments

• From Ipod 7-12-10 1525.jpg
    From Ipod 7-12-10 1525.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 83

kstompaint

I had a yellow lab when I was a kid and he was great.

We have a Boxer now. He has a great personality. Hank typically doesn't like other dogs, and I have a few friends with Boxers that have the same complaint. I won't lie, he does slobber a bit. Otherwise he is the perfect dog. As you can see in the pic, he is SUPER tolerant of our girls 1, 4 & 9.

Attachments

• hank.jpg
    hank.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 77