• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dogs Anyone?

Marlene

visit a shelter and meet some of the dogs. pet finder is a great resource but there's nothing like an in person visit. there's some sort of spark that goes off when you meet some critters and you just know that's the one.

signmeup

Many, many years ago we had an Irish Setter ( Rossi)..he grew larger than most of his kin..and man!..he could run!...I'd take him out on the country roads..and follow him in the vehicle..oh ..he could go like 5 miles easy..
Ken
If you want to see something that can run get a Borzoi. My parents had two of them. When they got underway they could cover ground like a race horse. Dumb as as stump though.

Kottwitz-Graphics

I've always had dogs. In our family they are more like members, than pets.

I've had Basset Hounds mostly, and they are pretty good dogs, just think they are entitled.

I'd say that the best dog I've ever had was a mutt. 1/2 Chihuahua and 1/2 Pomeranian. Most friendly dog I've ever owned. (Long story short, she adopted me. )

Currently, I have a Chihuahua, and she is a great guard dog. She barks when someone comes around, but I don't take her to the shop.

My wife and I have talked about our next "family member", and we are leaning toward a golden.

Perks

binki

Dog pound (pc term is animal shelter) has them. D3 (third dog) came from there 6 weeks ago. 5 month old lab mix.

http://www.youtube.com/binkiddog

Our first one came from the ASPCA shelter, #2 came a year later as a stray. #3 was a stray and ended up at the pound.

ESBG

If you can make the time/commitment, consider becoming a volunteer raiser for Guiding Eyes. I just finished raising my first. It's a big commitment (like owning a dog) but is incredibly rewarding. The dogs and training/support you'll receive also are amazing. Life changing experience.

If you're at all interested and have questions, don't hesitate to drop me a line.

tcorn1965

:goodpost:

Dachshunds are the best little dogs. They have huge personalities. My parents have a miniature long-haired dachshund. In fact, I'm babysittin her right now.

Extremely low maintenance and great indoor pet, The only thing you need to do is watch their diet. Don't feed a wiener dog too much or they will have major back problems.

Otherwise I would recommend a mutt. For what ever reason they make great pets.

+1 Here is my baby boy Baby Boy Hamming it up!.jpg

My Dog 2.jpg

GypsyGraphics

I've only had two dogs in my life. The first was a Husky that i got from a shelter. I wanted a dog to run with at night that would provide the illusion of protection. I say "illusion" because he was really such a sweetheart, wouldn't hurt a fly. Anyway, he was the skinniest, sickliest Husky at the rescue, out of more than a dozen. His ear was badly bitten by one of the another dogs, it was bleeding and grossed my family out. But i saw something special in his eyes and boy was i right! He was the most amazing creature and we were so luck to have and love him for 12 years.

When we knew his time was short, I got a little Schnauzer, knowing if I waited till he passed that it might take years to get over the loss, and keep us from opening our heart again to another dog.

My Siberian Husky in healthier days:
T_2003.jpg

During their six months together:
t_n_el.jpg

My Miniature Schnauzer & constant companion:
Ellie-n-Chewy.jpg

Ellie and her polar bear buddy. Cracks me up every day to see her carry that big bear around. She can't see around him and has to go up the stairs backward if she want him to come along.
Ellie-n-Polie.jpg

Last edited:

Sparky

If you haven't already spent time around a Greyhound, definitely look up the local greyhound adoption/rescue organization and take a visit to a foster house with dogs right off the track living with greyhounds that are in their permanent home.

I have had three (never more than two at once) for almost 9 years now (one passed away) and HIGHLY recommend them. They sleep 20+ hours a day and you don't need huge yards to let them run in. They have great personalities and if you do adopt one recently from the track, it is like you are getting a 3-5 year old puppy. All is new to them - glass doors, hardwood/slippery floors, etc, but they know to go outside and LOVE human interaction.

One that I have now we used to call him, excessively happy, but our latest one is always wanting to play.

Seriously, at least check them out - fantastic pets!

d fleming

Yellow lab...Fun loving dog, lives to please.
Rotty... Slobberhound, will destroy acreage if left to their own devices but very loyal and protective.
Border Collie... Genius on 4 paws.
J Russell... Coniption fit looking for a place to happen.

"d fleming -
5 wow that will keep you busy"

You better believe it, bred mother and father to get my red female, somehow the wife and daughter talked me into keeping two more. A year ago I would have bet you $$$ there was no way I would have 5! Wouldn't have it any other way now. Thank god we have some property for them to run.

My Jack Russell:

Attachments

• DSC00069.JPG
    DSC00069.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC00083.JPG
    DSC00083.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 101
  • sadie_skate.jpg
    sadie_skate.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 100
  • sadie2la9.jpg
    sadie2la9.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 83

AUTO-FX

now THERES a dog that would chase a black bear up a pine tree and not even think twice about it....

RebeckaR

I have an 8 year old yellow lab. She's super smart and still acts like a pup. She has a mutt of her own that looks like a short fat sausage with legs. They are completely different but act like evil twins.

The best dog I ever ever ever had was a red border collie. She got lost from her family at a dog show and nobody ever came to claim her, so I adopted her.
Border collies are loyal, loving, super smart, active - she loved to chase jack rabbits - and do not like to be in trouble so they will do anything to please you.
She was my best bud for 14 years and I still miss her even though I have these other two goof balls to keep me company.

Pro Image

I have a Irish Setter / Golden Retriever mix.......I wouldn't trade her for the world......Great dog.....

I would recommend either of her half's as a great dog......LOL......

HPIM0389.jpg