• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dont know about you, but my buisiness just stopped

Reveal1

Just got 4 new jobs yesterday, we haven't slowed down yet. I think it's because in our area we know the facts and aren't scared by this small virus.
Not sure where you are in VA, but we are in a relatively rural area of MO. I'm not about to claim we are smarter than the city folk, just on a different timetable as the virus spread to areas like mine is slower because of population density. Happy for you that you have more time to prepare, but when it does hit, rural areas will have fewer healthcare and logistical options (eg hospitals, supply distribution etc) than the cities.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Look up the H1N1 virus from 2009, it was 1000% worse with hundreds of thousands more deaths and more than a billion infected around 15% of the worlds population. That is a big virus. We are not even at 0.1% of the world's population infected with Covid-19
The flu didnt have an ro of 3, a hospitalization rate of 20%+, or a death rate over 3%. It was not near as contagious and did not cause worldwide shortages of hospital capacity or supply. So yeah, lets use the number of flu cases as the benchmark and wait until they are equal before we do anything. Sounds logical to me.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
visual800 said:
If anyone of you, like me, made it thru the crash from hell of 07...you are going to be just fine. Sit back, chill out, clean the shop and stop stressing

The worst downtown my company saw during my time here was following the burst of the dot-com bubble early in 2000. Business was virtually dead for about the first half of the year. We ended up changing banks, going to one that was willing to work with us to keep the doors open.

We didn't see much of a downturn in business during the Great Recession of the late 2000's. But that was due in part to Oklahoma not seeing an orgy of speculative greed in the housing industry. Homes weren't drastically over-valued in relation to income levels like they were in more "desirable" locations on the coasts. I was not the slightest bit surprised when the crash happened. Gasoline prices roaring from $1.25 to near $4.00 per gallon here (and much higher elsewhere) was one of the things that made that whole house of cards collapse. Those Hummer vehicle TV commercials sure disappeared fast. I just wish I did more to protect my retirement fund before the stock market $#!+ the bed.

ams said:
Look up the H1N1 virus from 2009, it was 1000% worse with hundreds of thousands more deaths and more than a billion infected around 15% of the worlds population.

We're still in the BEGINNING of this outbreak. Give this outbreak another 12-18 months before saying it's puny compared to the 2009 H1N1 pandemic, or even the 1918 pandemic.

Epidemiologists, scientists and other medical professionals who know far more about this stuff than you or I will ever know are very concerned about it. Those experts have governments across the world locking things down because they're very worried about the potential of what this virus could do. If this coronavirus is allowed to spread to 60-70 million Americans, like the scale of the seasonal flu, the death toll in the US will be in the hundreds of thousands, if not more than a million. It has the potential of rivaling the 1918 pandemic.

ams

The flu didnt have an ro of 3, a hospitalization rate of 20%+, or a death rate over 3%. It was not near as contagious and did not cause worldwide shortages of hospital capacity or supply. So yeah, lets use the number of flu cases as the benchmark and wait until they are equal before we do anything. Sounds logical to me.

Covid-19 is the flu, so yeah.

ams

The worst downtown my company saw during my time here was following the burst of the dot-com bubble early in 2000. Business was virtually dead for about the first half of the year. We ended up changing banks, going to one that was willing to work with us to keep the doors open.

We didn't see much of a downturn in business during the Great Recession of the late 2000's. But that was due in part to Oklahoma not seeing an orgy of speculative greed in the housing industry. Homes weren't drastically over-valued in relation to income levels like they were in more "desirable" locations on the coasts. I was not the slightest bit surprised when the crash happened. Gasoline prices roaring from $1.25 to near $4.00 per gallon here (and much higher elsewhere) was one of the things that made that whole house of cards collapse. Those Hummer vehicle TV commercials sure disappeared fast. I just wish I did more to protect my retirement fund before the stock market $#!+ the bed.

We're still in the BEGINNING of this outbreak. Give this outbreak another 12-18 months before saying it's puny compared to the 2009 H1N1 pandemic, or even the 1918 pandemic.

Epidemiologists, scientists and other medical professionals who know far more about this stuff than you or I will ever know are very concerned about it. Those experts have governments across the world locking things down because they're very worried about the potential of what this virus could do. If this coronavirus is allowed to spread to 60-70 million Americans, like the scale of the seasonal flu, the death toll in the US will be in the hundreds of thousands, if not more than a million. It has the potential of rivaling the 1918 pandemic.

In less than two months it'll be over and as soon as the vaccine is available, which testing begins in April, it will disappear as quickly as it came.

neutrinocv

Hey guys, my first post here...
2 days ago I was viewing a TV report on how the waterways in Venice Italy were getting cleaner and cleaner by the day since the city and country was in shutdown... The immediate thought I had was that; this is somehow a BIG warning from Mother Nature. We should take the time forced upon us to reflect on how we treat this planet, it's inhabitants and especially each other. I am not a religious person but I do believe that there is a greater force above and beyond us: the Universe. It's been there long before humanity and will be there long after. Question is: how long of a stretch does humanity wants to do..?

Life as we knew it before 2020 is a thing of the past; let's make the after 2020 a much better life. Mother nature; I hear you.

As for you depps74, please, get tested ASAP no matter how you get it done; your life may depend on it also the life of your family members, friends, neighbours and customers. Hang in there brother, we're all and truly in the same boat (planet).

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I'm not going to pretend to be a virus expert like you AMS. I didn't go to college to learn that stuff. I have to put my money on all the leaders of many countries of the world willing to destroy their own economies as a sign that this could be serious.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Is it real. It's business as usual for me. Just a little slow. Of course, I'm the only worker here and I don't have any walk-ins.
2 days ago

Last edited:

neutrinocv

In less than two months it'll be over and as soon as the vaccine is available, which testing begins in April, it will disappear as quickly as it came.
I really hope you get your facts straight and put them into a better perspective than you're doing now !!! People thinking like you are putting us ALL in danger of contracting the virus. Please, be smart and be safe.

At least our business doors are still open. I would imagine childcare operations and similar will not survive this.
My business has been backlogged for 18 months, so I am super lucky for now. My supply chain from China slowed down, but they are 90% now.
Be safe everyone.

neutrinocv

Is it real. It's business as usual for me. Just a little slow. Of course, I'm the only worker here and I don't have any walk-ins.
This was filmed on March 5th and she says this no pandemic and does not understand why people are so worried about this virus; we should be laughing about this she says... I wonder was she has to say just 2 weeks later. 2 weeks ago Trump was saying that this was nothing and that it would go away by itself; no worries !! Today there's an hospital ship in NYC harbour...

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
At least our business doors are still open. I would imagine childcare operations and similar will not survive this.
My business has been backlogged for 18 months, so I am super lucky for now. My supply chain from China slowed down, but they are 90% now.
Be safe everyone.

I'm on the board of a church that owns a daycare. They had to shut down and the daycare workers have been volunteering their time skyping with the kids. We agreed to give them a donation and not a regular check so it doesn't slow the unemployment claims. These are though decisions.

Government is going to announce $1000 payments to each adult, $500 for children

rossmosh

I'd recommend anyone taking orders still that are longer term projects and aren't being filled immediately, get paid or check in with your customers.

Cancellations and postponements are pretty much the only things on the menu at the moment around here. Orders I thought would go through are being canceled. I had someone positive they wanted to proceed with an order on Friday, cancel yesterday.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

ams

I really hope you get your facts straight and put them into a better perspective than you're doing now !!! People thinking like you are putting us ALL in danger of contracting the virus. Please, be smart and be safe.

Contact me in 2 months and see where we are.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
ams said:

A vaccine is not going to be available until at least the middle of next year. This notion that a vaccine is fixing to go into distribution is bull$#1+.

This outbreak is going to get considerably worse. The Spring Breakers aren't worrying about it at all. But the outbreak will get real for them if people they know, maybe even family members, start getting hospitalized and dying from it.

neutrinocv said:
2 days ago I was viewing a TV report on how the waterways in Venice Italy were getting cleaner and cleaner by the day since the city and country was in shutdown... The immediate thought I had was that; this is somehow a BIG warning from Mother Nature. We should take the time forced upon us to reflect on how we treat this planet, it's inhabitants and especially each other.

I don't believe there is any kind of omnipresent "mother nature" spiritual thing. But I absolutely do believe we, mankind have the power and inclination to ignorance to kill ourselves by destroying our habitat. The ocean in several parts of the world has been reduced to a life-less toilet. Rampant over-fishing is taking place everywhere else. Many of the medicines we need to treat illness and disease are created from organic sources found in places like rain forests. Well, the Amazon is getting clear cut and burned down.

When the President called this novel coronavirus the "Chinese Virus" a whole bunch of people shouted "racism!" Well, it is technically a Chinese Virus. The truth hurts. It's not 100% proven, but it is very likely this virus originated in a "wet market" in Wuhan. Those markets are absolutely disgusting. There are videos of these things online. It's not just a wide variety of live animals cooped up in cages. There's lots of dead ones too. The workers are killing and chopping up these animals right there with no sanitary practices at all. You'll see cages with live dogs inside, but with a couple dead dogs draped over the top. Blood and other fluids are all over the ground. I'm sure the stink has to be unbelievable. That environment is a perfect breeding ground for all kinds of pathogens. People are crammed into these markets. Animal to human transmission of pathogens is likely there. Wet markets like that are precisely why the US has things like the USDA, FDA, OSHA, EPA, etc.