• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dragon Design

cnc602

Ok this is not really a sign, but thought it was a cool project. I'm engraving a Dragon design on a hand gun slide. Now most firearms when engraving a detailed design, people use a laser engraver or have it engraved by hand. Especially when there is a lot of detail. This Dragon design will be engraved using a rotary engraver. Although I it will be diamond scratch on to the stainless steel part. Meaning the cutter wont be rotating. I've attached two images one of the Dragon design and the other of the hand gun slide.

Attachments

• IMG_4700.jpg
    IMG_4700.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_3748.jpg
    IMG_3748.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

edgette

Have you don't many of these before? I only ask because when I was looking into doing engraving work for firearms I found out that I was supposed to have an FFL even to cosmetically modify them. Maybe you do, just want to be sure you don't have the BATFE banging on your door.

Cool design though, I'd like to see how it turns out.

cnc602

Oh really? Yikes! I better look into that. Just to make sure were on the same page. You mean a Federal Firearms License right?

Have you don't many of these before? I only ask because when I was looking into doing engraving work for firearms I found out that I was supposed to have an FFL even to cosmetically modify them. Maybe you do, just want to be sure you don't have the BATFE banging on your door.

Cool design though, I'd like to see how it turns out.

OldPaint

jesus....you can cosmetically alter a weapon........AS LONG AS YOU DONT DO IT NEAR THE SERIAL NUMBER!!!! thats what YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO ALTER.
removing or changing the serial number......would be cosmetically altering.

edgette

Yes that's what I'm referring to. I would do a little more digging into it if you plan to keep gun parts coming in as a steady stream of business. I only had a few requests but dropped it after reading about a glock guy with a laser saying he needed an FFL to do it legally.

Techman

Just to engrave on a slide,, you do not need a FFL

Do not touch the serial number.

If you keep an entire gun or the receiver over 8 hours you need a FFL to log it in.

cnc602

Ok so looks like I should be fine.. cause.. umm lol the project is already done. No one turn me in please :covereyes:

visual800

cool design! Really? can we as humans do anything without being approved or certified or registered? and if this was true how is the FFL gonna keep up with who did what?

cnc602

Ok here are some photos of the custom dragon engraved handgun slide.
What do you guys think? I'll have a video up soon.

Attachments

• Dragon_Slide1.jpg
    Dragon_Slide1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 157
  • Dragon_Slide2.jpg
    Dragon_Slide2.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_5372b.jpg
    IMG_5372b.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 157

cnc602

cool design! Really? can we as humans do anything without being approved or certified or registered? and if this was true how is the FFL gonna keep up with who did what?

Thanks! The Dragon Design turned out better than I thought it would.