• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dry erase dilema

Colin

I ordered some 48" clear dry-erase film from my supplier yesterday, and what arrived is the stuff with no paper backing, but just an extremely thin clear backing. I need to apply these to 4x8 coroplast sheets, so my question is: Will this material go down ok with the Big Squeegee method?

It's just so dang thin, I fear trouble.

paul luszcz

Dry erase laminate is usually very thin, something like 1 mil compared to 3 to 5 that you may be used to.

However, most laminates without backers are heat activated and require a hot laminator to apply. Check the manufacturer's website or call your distributor to find out if this is the case with yours. If it is, it is probably not sticky to the touch and won't go down with a Big Squeegee.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Never using the thin stuff you've mentioned, it sounds like it should be easier than normal, due to not having the static build-up as usual.

A few weeks ago we did 9pcs 4' x 6' panels. Used the Big Squeegee instead of the laminator..... and all went well.

petepaz

it's a clear polyester liner...PITA we have some lams that come with that and it sucks to work with.
not sure how it will fair with the big squeegee because the material wrinkles real easy when handling it. the paper liner is stiffer and makes handling alot easier.
and it's not that it wrinkles when laminating and you get tunneling but what happens is since the liner is so thin it will bend or wrinkle as you are unrolling or mounting and then you get a line in it. it can be done but it's a pain just go slow and be carefull. i think once you get it started it will be ok

Colin

Thanks, I just tried an 8" x 48" test piece, and it went down ok, but yes, the full 48" x 96" might be a different story. I found that it was very difficult to get the liner to release when trying to get it started. I had to poke my knife in there and fiddle with it. This was difficult because I don't play the fiddle.

:cool:

petepaz

I found that it was very difficult to get the liner to release when trying to get it started. I had to poke my knife in there and fiddle with it.

that is probably the hardest part and trying to start it with a razor knife is the only thing i have found that works. sometimes if you wrinkle a corner up a little then you can seperate it a little easier...good luck (might be better if you had an extra pair of hands since you are laminating such large parts

Colin

Sometimes you can apply a piece of masking tape to both the laminate and release liner and pull the two apart.

Yes, I did that trick for my initial inspection, but I wonder if you can do it when it's taped down in place, ready for the B.S.

shrug

Colin

What I may try is to just put a 4" x 48" strip of transfer tape on the front edge, just to get 'er going. I'll let y'all know if I wind-up inventing some new swear words.

Rooster

I have trouble with 2mil cast on my laminator going down perfect on a 54" roll. It takes a little adjusting on the tension before it starts going down smooth compared to thicker lams.

If you have a 1 mil and you're putting it down with a squeegee, then good luck. Get some extra peeps to hold the laminate where you need it when you try and apply down.

gabagoo

dry erase is the toughest thing to put down. DONT even consider doing it wet. You need a laminator.

The biggest issue was the release liner is so thin that you cant push forward with the squegge without it running over itself. Might be best to have 2 or 3 people on this one. 2 to peel away the backing as you slide forward.
good luck Colin