• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Early Christmas present!

jmcnicoll

I use our laminator in the same way to mount a print. I guess for the smaller laminators you may not be able to, but I've had some nice laminators to use and I can mount it the same exact way.

CanuckSigns

I use our laminator in the same way to mount a print. I guess for the smaller laminators you may not be able to, but I've had some nice laminators to use and I can mount it the same exact way.

Out of curiosity, have you had the opportunity to use one of these machines? Up untill today, we also used our seal laminator to mount prints and unless you know something I don't, it's not even the same ballpark compared to using one of these machines.

the sales rep did tell me that these machines have taken a bit longer to "take off" in North America compared to Europe. They figure the reasons are:
1) labour is far less expensive over here
2) we are much more stubborn when it comes to embracing new techniques and technology.

i think he's right.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
They're awesome. If I did signs, I'd have one in a heartbeat with no questions asked. I'm an easy mark for high quality tools and I will look right past the high "cost of entry" if I know its going to make me money in the future.

I'd make a terrible bean counter because I usually take one look at something and justify the cost in my head before I'll sit down and work it out on paper.

Congrats on the new toy... and the new little one. You're not even going to need Christmas this year.

JB

jmcnicoll

I'm sure they work great. Looks to be built very well. Never said it couldn't be useful. Still would take a top end lamintor first.

Jimsee

Tested one of this at the SGIA, yes I must say this is an awesome piece of tools.
We were looking at the 55" x 156" table. My dad doesn't do any lamination nor premask etc. but he was able to mount a printed vinyl with no lamination onto a PVC after looking at the demo the sale rep did right on the floor.
This machine is build to ease your work for sure. You can train your receptionist in 30min to have her mount a full size 1/2" MOD lol.

Yes if you are a skillful person, you don't need one by using a traditional laminator, but to me, we work night and day in the shop, any tools that ease our work will make us live longer and happier!

I totally agree to the fact this table will pay for itself in short time.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There's no denying that this is a wonderful piece of equipment and probably very efficient in the right atmosphere/conditions. We mount quite a few substrates in a weeks time, but our laminator is really good enough for us. Unless we were high volume, I couldn't justify the cost, as most of our stuff is flatbed printed, therefore that need has gone way down from that of 5 years ago. Yep, had this been a proposal 5 years ago, we probably would've pulled it off.

Looks great....... and have fun opening more Christmas presents. I enjoy them whenever I get them, too. :thumb:

Baz

everyone who has one can't stop saying good things about them, the way I look at it, it's 6 months wages for an employee, at the end of the day, we have the money, and the machine fills a bottleneck for us.

Those are great reasons to go and buy nice new tools!

I have no questions it will pay for itself. After all you will be using it on a daily basis. And from the looks and comments this thing should last many years.

For my shop though ... The laminator i have and the way we run prints through ... This piece of equipment and it's price point is at the bottom of my priority list.

Here is my take on mounting prints.
[video=youtube;d_f-c-uzgJE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_f-c-uzgJE[/video]
It takes about 3 minutes to mount 4x8 print video only 2.22 It takes about 30 sec to feed substrate through laminator .
P. S. And I can do it all by myself.

Farmboy

We also don't thread our laminator and one person can do the job, but for a high volume shop the benefit is obvious from watching the video. The same could be said about cutting down substrate. Sure you can get the job done with a straight edge and knife, but for $3000 you can buy a Fletcher FSC and do the job better. It's all about your shops needs.

CanuckSigns

Here is my take on mounting prints.
[video=youtube;d_f-c-uzgJE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_f-c-uzgJE[/video]
It takes about 3 minutes to mount 4x8 print video only 2.22 It takes about 30 sec to feed substrate through laminator .
P. S. And I can do it all by myself.

Im impressed,you are faster with the laminator than we were. However there are still 2 people in your video, if you do it yourself, with all the juggling the board and running back and fourth I'm willing to bet you are closer to 8-10 minutes.

but at the end of the day, you do what makes you comfortable, if you are happy with they way you are doing it, keep it up. We saw a bottleneck in our production and looked for an answer, the rolls roller was that answer, yes it's expensive, but so is our time!

im not sure why a few people on this thread feel the need to criticize my decision to spend my money on my business, at the end of the day, business is good, we have the money and we wanted it.

SignProPlus-Chip

Challenge accepted.

We used our two guys in the video, but I know either Alex or I alone can probably mount a 4x8 in about 3 minutes. Next time we mount a 4x8 we'll take a go at it.

Running back and fourth only constitutes about an 8 foot distance anyway...no big deal.

Watson, we aren't criticizing your decision. Just looking at it from our POV pertaining to OUR shop.

Our point is, sure, use what you are comfortable with, but for us buying a $15,000-20,000 table top laminator doesn't add much in efficiency vs cost. I also think a lot of people are over-thinking how long it takes to mount a print too.

Granted, either a regular laminator or a Rollsroller is WAY more efficient than laying a print down by hand.

FYI our laminator was a used Ledco we got at government auction for $150. To anyone in the market, check out those gov auctions....you'll be amazed at what you can find.

Im impressed,you are faster with the laminator than we were. However there are still 2 people in your video, if you do it yourself, with all the juggling the board and running back and fourth I'm willing to bet you are closer to 8-10 minutes.

but at the end of the day, you do what makes you comfortable, if you are happy with they way you are doing it, keep it up. We saw a bottleneck in our production and looked for an answer, the rolls roller was that answer, yes it's expensive, but so is our time!

im not sure why a few people on this thread feel the need to criticize my decision to spend my money on my business, at the end of the day, business is good, we have the money and we wanted it.

LeLuni

I think it's all in good fun.
I think one of the things we're seeing from Watson's is that he has reached the point where he is working 'on' the business instead of 'in' the business.
The idea of better ergonomics and a measurable savings in time and effort must be very satisfying. Add to that the fact that your employees are seeing these investments being made, that you're going to bat for them to make their jobs easier, and I think it is a good purchase.
The rollsroller might be a tad overpriced in my opinion, but the choice to bring one in to the shop is definitely in keeping with a long term entrepreneurial vision.

John

Billct2

some employees might appreciate it, some might think "I coulda got a nice raise with that money"

Z SIGNS

You could also use one these to drill holes hand drill.jpg but why when you can use this cordless drill.jpg

TimToad

I've watched the videos, seen the ease with which it operates, seen the dread all of us have when we have lots of mounting to do and I see the grit and particulate trapped in prints because my old school employee thinks its isn't manly to take the company supplied Swiffer I provide and lightly wipe our prints as they go through the laminator.

I've also torn my hair out watching the waste as a foot and a half of laminate on the leading edge and back edge ends up in the garbage every time we laminate something along with the kraft paper backing. We also don't do very well ganging up jobs because my one and maybe not for very much longer employee just doesn't think about the company's bottom line and the previous owner never pushed him to do so. So we end up buying far more laminate than print media as the one always seems to be running out far more frequently.

With this machine, my novice wife who now handles the books, simple production and general shop work could easily become an ace with this thing in no time.

The price tag seems high for how simple it works, but I can see one of these paying off pretty quickly on the labor, material, improved quality fronts.

Can somebody who has one tell how it is for keeping dust and grit out of your prints?

HulkSmash

Huge waste of money. This is solely my opinion.

Before we had a flatbed, 1 guy would EASILY run a 4x8 in 30 seconds through a laminator by himself to mount sheets.

Bly

Hey whatever makes you more efficient but we mount 4x8s in about 2 minutes with one person using our laminator.

Baz

I think it's all in good fun.
I think one of the things we're seeing from Watson's is that he has reached the point where he is working 'on' the business instead of 'in' the business.
The idea of better ergonomics and a measurable savings in time and effort must be very satisfying. Add to that the fact that your employees are seeing these investments being made, that you're going to bat for them to make their jobs easier, and I think it is a good purchase.
The rollsroller might be a tad overpriced in my opinion, but the choice to bring one in to the shop is definitely in keeping with a long term entrepreneurial vision.

John

Very well put! My sentiments exactly.

One of these days i'll buy myself one of these machines. I'll sit back, crack open a beer and think of Watsons Signs and how it feels good in investing in new tools for the minions.

Speaking of which ... I have to buy myself one of those Fletcher cutting systems. I'm tired of watching new employees strugling trying to cut 10mm coroplast. This is the same scenario.

SqueeGee

Here are pics of the one we built using Faztek materials and a 60" pneumatic HSRA.

Attachments

• image-2056522214.jpg
    image-2056522214.jpg
    469.9 KB · Views: 82
  • image-2643143256.jpg
    image-2643143256.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 83
  • image-1101237099.jpg
    image-1101237099.jpg
    497.9 KB · Views: 78
  • image-931921788.jpg
    image-931921788.jpg