• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Early Christmas present!

bigben

I've went to an ''open door'' yesterday and saw a new model of table without a bridge that make easier to ''flip'' the vinyl over the roller. Pricing was very good.

[video=youtube_share;GNCuDOzjsSc]http://youtu.be/GNCuDOzjsSc[/video]

Gene@mpls

SqueeG- I like that a lot- always prefer to make something over purchase... even if it doesn't make $ense. I would think that keeping the table
completely flat would be a major problem- looks like you are using MDF?

Bigben- that is interesting as well- what was the price? Google only comes up with the same video. Is it imported into Canada by someone? Thanks Gene

LeLuni

Here are pics of the one we built using Faztek materials and a 60" pneumatic HSRA.

This is really cool - thanks for posting these images of a self-built flatbed.
10k looks about right, the only thing that I imagine would be a good addition is a glass top... is the bed 12' long?

John

SqueeGee

I would think that keeping the table completely flat would be a major problem- looks like you are using MDF?

Being flat is critical. We experimented with a couple options and I had some glass quoted(spendy!). We ultimately ran several aluminum braces lengthwise and topped it with MDF and a cut mat.

GB2

Old Member
I think these flatbed roller tables are great tools and I'm sure you will get great satisfaction from it. There's one on my wish list. You really have to try it to appreciate it. I'm a big fan of the Rolls Roller brand and I would have faith in their customer support but i did find recently a other interesting competitor, the Rollover, which can be seen at rollover.no

There is also another product, which is the original version of the flatbed laminator at a much lessor cost, which is the Highway Handyman and can be seen at highwayhandyman.com

bigben

Bigben- that is interesting as well- what was the price? Google only comes up with the same video. Is it imported into Canada by someone? Thanks Gene

I've been quoted 19k$ USD for the cwt1640 and 21k$ USD for the cwt1647. For the price difference, I would stick with the cwt1640. It's a good size table for all we do.

We use one of these laminators. I might not be able to hit 3 minutes cause like you said you would be dead at the end of the day. But I bet I could load mount and trim in 5 mins or under. That being said, I have seen these laminators in action and you can't be faster then them.

I did have a question though. I noticed the entry has no lights under the table. Is the table still translucent. could you hook up your own lighting under. I saw them piecing vinyl together with the light table and it was so quick and precise I would def. want the lights. But if I can install myself.

CanuckSigns

We use one of these laminators. I might not be able to hit 3 minutes cause like you said you would be dead at the end of the day. But I bet I could load mount and trim in 5 mins or under. That being said, I have seen these laminators in action and you can't be faster then them.

I did have a question though. I noticed the entry has no lights under the table. Is the table still translucent. could you hook up your own lighting under. I saw them piecing vinyl together with the light table and it was so quick and precise I would def. want the lights. But if I can install myself.

No the table is made of aluminum, it can't be lit.

GB2

Old Member
One other point to consider about these flatbed roll laminators vs. a regular laminator is that you only need half the space to use it. If you were applying graphics to a 10' piece of acrylic for example, on a regular laminator you would need 10' in front of and 10' in back of the laminator for a total of 20' in length, not to mention that you would probably need 2 10' tables with a regular laminator for something unmanageable like 10' of acrylic. On a flatbed laminator you would only need the 10' of space that the table takes up and the ease of applying the graphic is incomparable.

I've been considering these Rolls Rollers and I think the new model is a great addition to their lineup. I'm a little undecided about having the lighted table, the only thing I really see using it for is lining up die cut graphics on die cut substrates or possibly aligning doubled up translucent prints. Does it serve any other purpose other than just being a really nice giant light table? The ability to mount to oversize pieces on the Premier models is a nice feature too but for the additional cost vs. the amount of time I would use that I'm not sure if it's worth it. I guess it just depends on what type of business you are doing.

SqueeGee

One other point to consider about these flatbed roll laminators vs. a regular laminator is that you only need half the space to use it....

This was one of the main things for us. It's also about moving the sheet back and forth. The sheets we're working with are heavy and flimsy. The employee that works on them is 5' tall and 100lbs. Having this tool allows her to do a job by herself that would take two, much stronger workers to do otherwise.

bigben

with a table like this, how do you laminate a print that is longer than 10ft? I often do murals with 12ft to 15ft panels.

SqueeGee

with a table like this, how do you laminate a print that is longer than 10ft? I often do murals with 12ft to 15ft panels.

Our max panel size is 12' and that's the size of our bench. For anything longer, we'd have no choice but to run it through the laminator.

GB2

Old Member

Easy, place your substrate panel on the table with one end overhanging 2', place your laminate or graphic on the substrate, apply the side that is on the table, raise the roller, move the substrate down 2' so the applied end is now overhanging the table and apply the laminate or graphic to the remaining side.