Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EDGE2 / Oracal Question...

Discussion in 'Gerber' started by cptcorn, May 28, 2008.

1. cptcorn

cptcorn adad

Jul 16, 2007
    Two Harbors
    I've been having a problem with Gerber Foils laying down on Oracal vinyl. I have a couple very specific jobs I use Oracal vinyl for and I've been noticing that the plastic release liner on the foil is sticking to the vinyl, and then eventually tearing the foil... Does anyone have any insight on this problem? Anyone ever run into this problem?

2. WhiskeyDreamer

WhiskeyDreamer Professional Snow Ninja

Aug 6, 2007
    Riften
    check your heat settings...i used to have that problem with reflective...because you're actually supposed to print 280 reflective on the 280i setting, but cut it on 280 setting...so make sure you have the vinyl set for intermediate or high performance...

also, how old is the foil? i've started marking them cause if it's older than a year, there usually isn't much that can be done aside from replacing the foil at your cost

3. cptcorn

cptcorn adad

Jul 16, 2007
    Two Harbors
    The vinyl and the foils are very new.

I've noticed that in the print there's something similar to banding in the foil when it's laid down. Another thing I noticed is that curves aren't so smooth and there seems to be a consistent waviness.

What are some signs that a head is going out or bad...

4. cptcorn

cptcorn adad

Jul 16, 2007
    Two Harbors
    Here is a scan of one of the letters. Even a couple weeks ago all of this stuff printed out fine...

Attached Files:

• v.jpg
      v.jpg
      File size:
      270.2 KB
      Views:
  5. WhiskeyDreamer

WhiskeyDreamer Professional Snow Ninja

Aug 6, 2007
    Riften
    because if you call gerber to trouble shoot, they're gonna ask the same question.....have you tried the same job on gerber vinyl?? try that, and see if it still does it...if it doesn't, then you have your problem

is it the same roll of vinyl and same foil as a couple weeks ago??

6. cptcorn

cptcorn adad

Jul 16, 2007
    Two Harbors
    Ok, ran the job on 3M, Avery, and Gerber and it all looks the same...

When I look at the foil in the cartridge, it doesn't knock out the entire letter, there are small streaks left where the entire letter should be knocked out...

7. theskipman_98

theskipman_98 Member

May 14, 2007
    try this, output the job to gsp>to print options> and on the right hand side box with 300x300, 300x600, Edge I>select edge I. And then print.

http://signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31047

This is a post somewhat simular , with an answer provided by Fred

8. Service Sign Co

Service Sign Co Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Southaven
    The streaks are probably because the head needs cleaning. a good sign that the print head failing is 10.5'' total height of the prints. My mother board quit last week.there goes another $1,200.00

9. cptcorn

cptcorn adad

Jul 16, 2007
    Two Harbors
    Here is the thing I first noticed this on...

Printed one at 300x300 and one with EdgeI settings, but I noticed no difference at all. I also tried it on an Orcal film and a 220 film, no difference. I'm using 751 for all of this also.

The size of the flag is 1"x2"

Attached Files:

10. cptcorn

cptcorn adad

Jul 16, 2007
    Two Harbors
    Cleaned the print head, and its still the same...

Does it look like something is wrong to you all? I understand there being pixilation, but on straight lines, they should be absolutely straight...

11. Service Sign Co

Service Sign Co Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Southaven
    Ive never experienced that rough look on the horizontal red line before

12. Bill Modzel

Bill Modzel Active Member

cp,
    How large is that actual V? Is it 2" or 1/2". If it's small, your just
    dealing with a general Edge issue, it's a 300 dpi printer and all small diagonals
    will show a bit of "stepping". The fact that you have a half tone happening only
    exaggerate the effect.

13. Tony Teveris

Tony Teveris Active Member

First what software ? Omega ?.?

I would stick with all your testing to Gerber material and Gerber foils because if in the end you need to contact Gerber you better say I'm using Gerber.

If you are using Gerber software then within GspPlot setup your job and save the setup as a Spool file (*.SPL) and send me the spool file(s) and I'll print them here.

To me (I'm a software guy) I would say something is wrong with the printer, tension or takeup motor. This is the best I can do.

14. cptcorn

cptcorn adad

Jul 16, 2007
    Two Harbors
    I am doing all of this testing on Gerber materials... I originally thought it might be an Oracal issue, since 95% of the stuff we do is with Gerber or 3M material, minus this one job. I noticed the problem initially while using Oracal film.

Using Omega 2.1 software.

Thanks
    Alex!

15. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    are you printing a spot color or four color process? Are you printing .plt files, .eps files or something else?

16. cptcorn

cptcorn adad

Jul 16, 2007
    Two Harbors
    Spot colors, .plt files...

17. cptcorn

cptcorn adad

Jul 16, 2007
    Two Harbors
    Here is the .spl file if anyone else wants to try and print it off... just change the .txt extension to .spl and it should work.... theoretically...

Right click, Save As, then select All Files, and after c70 put .spl, and you shoudl be set.

Attached Files:

• c70.txt
      File size:
      17.9 KB
      Views:
  18. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    the spot foils are printed without dpi as they are solid, do you have halftones in there? I ask because the settings for them might be causing the banding.

19. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    looks like the spot color was set for 95% or even 99% instead of 100%

20. cptcorn

cptcorn adad

Jul 16, 2007
    Two Harbors
    Sorry missed your post... the V is about 5" tall. So yeah its pretty large to have that large of "stepping" on the edges.
    No halftones... We do virtually no cmyk printing. Anyways, this stuff was was printing fine a few weeks ago. It was pointed out to me just today, so I'm not sure how long its been doing this. I don't normally operate this machine another guy does, but I know more about it than he does...
    Nope, double checked that, and everything is at 100%.