• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edward Jones

3Dsigns

Anyone done any work for "Edward Jones" Financial? I invoiced them on Dec 1, 2021 and still no money. They owe me over 5k

2B

keep hounding.

Most of the "big" companies automatically use NET terms of 60 + days, regardless of what your invoice states.

3Dsigns

They informed me, after I had completed the job, that their terms were "net 30". Fine. I could live with that. I sent the invoice. But it has now been 60 days. 30 days beyond their written term statement.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
No, it says "payment is required when services are rendered". Their policy says "30 days". It's been 60 days so, they owe me at least 30 days interest.
But does it have language about interest? I don't think you can collect on interest or late fees if it's not on the agreement/contract or invoice.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Directly for Edward Jones or do they have agents? 60 day pay is great, it doesn't really get on my radar until about 120 and even then it's usually not a big deal

3Dsigns

Get this; now they sent a "Waiver of Lien" wanting me to sign away my rights to a mechanic's lien "for and in consideration of the sum of....." Ain't no way. I've already handed over my property and services to these people, in good faith, that I would be paid in return for the services they requested. And THEY don't trust me? I replied that I would be happy to sign the mechanic's lien waiver AFTER they pay me.

CanuckSigns

Get this; now they sent a "Waiver of Lien" wanting me to sign away my rights to a mechanic's lien "for and in consideration of the sum of....." Ain't no way. I've already handed over my property and services to these people, in good faith, that I would be paid in return for the services they requested. And THEY don't trust me? I replied that I would be happy to sign the mechanic's lien waiver AFTER they pay me.
Ahh yes, we've had clients like this in the past, they wait for you to start calling looking for payment, then they tell you that "head office" needs form xyz completed in order to process payment, once you fill it out, it will need to be reviewed by 15 people who are all working from home, so expect another 30 - 60 days, then if you are lucky you will get paid, or they will find some other form or process you need to complete.

it's all a clever rouse to keep their money in their bank account as long as possible, they know if they make it difficult there is a small percentage of suppliers who will just give up and write it off.

I would reply that this waiver was not discussed when the contract was written, so you can not process it now, however as a sign of good faith, you will sign it and send it back once your invoice has been paid in full. and let them know that any further delays in payment will force you to turn the account over to collections, usually that is enough for them to pay up, but you will never get more work from them, not sure if you care at this point though.

unclebun

You don't sign lien waivers until after payment has been received and processed. Period. If they haven't sent payment in the same envelope with the lien waiver, they've done it wrong. The lien waiver is to protect them in case you haven't paid your suppliers or subcontractors, and they are standard in this industry and the construction industry. You act like maybe this is your first rodeo.

3Dsigns

Like I told them in my reply; pay me and I'll be happy to sign the waiver. But not until. No,, I don't recall anyone asking me to sign any lien waiver. Not in 22 years in this business.

3Dsigns

Ahh yes, we've had clients like this in the past, they wait for you to start calling looking for payment, then they tell you that "head office" needs form xyz completed in order to process payment, once you fill it out, it will need to be reviewed by 15 people who are all working from home, so expect another 30 - 60 days, then if you are lucky you will get paid, or they will find some other form or process you need to complete.

it's all a clever rouse to keep their money in their bank account as long as possible, they know if they make it difficult there is a small percentage of suppliers who will just give up and write it off.

I would reply that this waiver was not discussed when the contract was written, so you can not process it now, however as a sign of good faith, you will sign it and send it back once your invoice has been paid in full. and let them know that any further delays in payment will force you to turn the account over to collections, usually that is enough for them to pay up, but you will never get more work from them, not sure if you care at this point though.
No, at this point I do not care. I prefer clients who appreciate my services enough not to jerk me around and there are plenty of those good ones out there.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If your quote nor your invoice states anything about taking unearned discounts, a 1.5% service charge added to amounts over XX amount of days or amounts added for collection for attorney fees and legal costs...... you're screwed. However, their waiver had to be in on the original signed and dated paperwork. Odds are, you're gonna get paid, but they either don't need you again or want you back, so they're gonna d!ck you around and make you jump through hoops.

The original contract needs to have all the legal mumbo-jumbo written in. Then signed, dated and a copy for each party. Now, it's a legal document and you can take it to court. It will work in your favor this way. Thing is, if you have a jerk on the other end, they can still make it bad for you.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Just sign the thing. What are you gonna lien? if you did an install, do you even have lien rights? Down here you have to file an NTO on the front side. Do you honestly think that they're not going to pay you? It's not as if it's some bonehead off of the street. They're in the same boat as you, if they send the check, there's no telling if you're going to sign it. It's not unheard of for a company to ask for the release right before they send the check. If they're sketchy, then you go to their office and swap papers.