Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

email Etiquette

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by gabagoo, Jan 28, 2014.

1. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    Received an email yesterday from some guy and it started off with..."Hey".

Right away I don't like the %^%$ head.....Oh I see he was refered by a slow payer...OK, I send back a response that I need to see what he has for me to work with before quoting a proper price to do his vehicle, followed by my NAME and company info.

This morning I get another email from him...and again it starts with "Hey"!!!

Who starts off an email to a total stranger with "Hey"?

I am adding 20% to whatever price I come up with for this jerk.... No wait 25% to cover my time typing this up lol:smile:

Tags:
  2. thinksigns

thinksigns SnowFlake

Nov 28, 2010
    What are the odds the slow payer asks for a discount next time because he sends so many people to you?

3. ExecuPrintGS

ExecuPrintGS Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Hartland, WI
    99.9% :banghead:

4. HDvinyl

HDvinyl Trump 2020

Nov 20, 2008
    halfway house.
    ettiquette??

I will take a bad introduction over bad spelling...

5. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    yes I struggled with that word.....fixed it for you chief!!

6. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    add a P.I.T.A. charge and go have a pizza on Mr. Hey

7. nikdoobs

nikdoobs Active Member

Jun 4, 2013
    lafayette, la
    I wouldn't think twice about it if I got an e-mail that just said Hey. Would you prefer Dear Sir or Madam?

8. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    Hey!

9. HDvinyl

HDvinyl Trump 2020

Nov 20, 2008
    halfway house.
    Fat Albert would be in trouble using email.

10. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver
    You are a strange duck sir. Nothing wrong with starting a conversation with a "hey". It's casual, and to be honest, most of us aren't dealing with high end, suit and tie types. We're dealing with average joe, small business owners or managers. Maybe I've just seen worse, but I don't think "hey" is all too bad.

Now the tone after that, I think is much more important. You can usually catch on if this is a tire kicker, a lazy **** (bane of my existence), or just a total tool that needs 24/7 ego boost. If they place DEMANDS in the first email, red flag that this could get interesting, fast.

11. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    When sending a first-time e-mail to someone, I will always address them with courtesy and including the ending/signing off part. Once I feel comfortable, I will just use Hi So & So and end it with just my first name. I'm on a first name basis with just about every customer we have....... all 4 of them. :wink:

Receiving a bad written e-mail is a little different. Many people in business today have little to no business background, thus you get poorly written and hard to understand letters and all kindsa openings to closings and in between. For me, I try to ignore it and get on the phone with them, get a deposit, a job and then the balance. I'm not gonna discriminate, just because someone has bad manners or poor writing skills. Their money's still green and cashes at the bank. Heck, look at 3/4's of the sign people here who can't write worth a ch!t............:ROFLMAO:.... and it's in their job description.

12. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    I get irked when people use smiley faces and say 'LOL' in emails

13. InstantOneMedia

InstantOneMedia Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Atlanta
    When I receive a resume, and the cover letter / email starts with "Hey", I delete it immediately. Otherwise, I'm just so excited a potential customer found ME, and I didn't have to hunt them down, I'll take any greeting they use. The more vulgar the better.

14. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    If I know you then HEY is fine...but for the first form of communication in business, it is totally unacceptable. having said that, I won't turn away business and I am sure he is probably a pretty decent hard working guy.

I just needed to get my post count up :Big Laugh

15. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Welcome from PA................................................. :Oops:

16. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver
    I didn't say having manners is being a strange duck, I meant the level of frustration he was having with someone starting a conversation with "hey", made him a strange duck. And by saying that I hope you know I was totally being facetious and making a funny.

In this day when we get text orders, text orders, and grammar that's a throwback to second grade... you have to realize it could be worse. Maybe it's partially the area I'm in, but there are apparently is no "etiquette" at all. I try to be professional as can be, but as an example to my point... I got an order in a couple days ago, to letter 4 dump trucks. Nice size order, from a good sized company, and their first TEXT to me (I had to call and ask them to email instead) started with "do you guys do like street sign s**t? I need some of those slapped on my trucks, how much?". Yep, welcome to the Pacific NW.

17. HDvinyl

HDvinyl Trump 2020

Nov 20, 2008
    halfway house.
    I only except "hey" if it's in the subject line.

18. nikdoobs

nikdoobs Active Member

Jun 4, 2013
    lafayette, la
    Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

...coming from the guy who takes a bad introduction over bad spelling.

19. HDvinyl

HDvinyl Trump 2020

Nov 20, 2008
    halfway house.
    Hey

I was being sarcastic

20. nikdoobs

nikdoobs Active Member

Jun 4, 2013
    lafayette, la
    :ROFLMAO: Sure you were!

21. HDvinyl

HDvinyl Trump 2020

Nov 20, 2008
    halfway house.
    Hey at least they spell it right, I have had multiple emails come with "hay" as the intro.

22. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario

Hay is for horses!!!

23. HDvinyl

HDvinyl Trump 2020

Nov 20, 2008
    halfway house.
    Is straw still cheaper??