• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

email Etiquette

Marie

My big email pet peeve is when I reply back to a customer with 2 or 3 questions that I need answered so that I work up an estimate or finalize an order - and the person just answers the first question. So I have to email again....

I don't really like Hey as a greeting, but as long as the rest of the email is coherent, I am fine.

gabagoo

My big email pet peeve is when I reply back to a customer with 2 or 3 questions that I need answered so that I work up an estimate or finalize an order - and the person just answers the first question. So I have to email again....

I don't really like Hey as a greeting, but as long as the rest of the email is coherent, I am fine.

I notice this happening quite a bit too and then I just phone them and get the answers I need...quicker than 3 days of emails going back and forth.

Marie

Don't get me started on proper phone use when conducting business. Why do people have voice mailboxes if they NEVER check them???

gabagoo

Don't get me started on proper phone use when conducting business. Why do people have voice mailboxes if they NEVER check them???

...or worse they say the person is on the line would you like to wait or leave a voice mail...you take the wait option and then 2 or 3 minutes later the line clicks and starts ringing and then goes into their voice mail lol

GVP

I'm far more annoyed when an email contains lazy abbreviations - 'u' instead of 'you', 'thnx' instead of 'thanks', etc. Rapid decline of the language....

Biker Scout

I hate VM, and never listen to them. So I have it turned off on my phone. If I know you, I'll answer. If I can't I'll see the missed call. If you need to get ahold of me, you can text me, or send me an email. Maybe I'm more hip and trendy than a lot of you, but I've embraced the new forms of communication, especially if it involves them giving me money. But I really hate talking on the phone. I prefer to see the writing, have time to think about my response before I reply. Plus, I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I have a real hard time hearing on the phone. (my hearing is fine) it's just that tinny, far away sound that I really have to concentrate to actually "listen to" unlike a face to face conversation. I can totally see why talking on the phone while driving is dangerous. It totally changes your visual focus inward when trying to listen.

Billct2

I think most corrrespondence about work projects should be professional.
I deal with a lot of different kinds of clients and in person I adjust my banter to fit, but in writing
I was taught, and prefer to use more formal language. This is especially important when dealing with
corporate, educational or govermental clients. Those emails are "public" and should be treated as though
you may be explaining the discussion to a third party.
How they wish to express themselves is up to them.

WCSign

So you expect to get an email from a potential client who knows another client to start with "Dear Mr. Sign Guy,"

I mean this doesn't sound bad to me:

"Hey, my name is Scott, Joe Blow told me to contact you about doing the graphics on my store windows"

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yo !! I mean dudes..... and dudettes. Do ya really think she's Politically Correct when it comes to conversation.... ?? Want some of dis ??

gabagoo

So you expect to get an email from a potential client who knows another client to start with "Dear Mr. Sign Guy,"

I mean this doesn't sound bad to me:

"Hey, my name is Scott, Joe Blow told me to contact you about doing the graphics on my store windows"

I agree...Hey my name is joe blow is fine with me......just HEY and nothing else just rubs me the wrong way.... It gives me the feeling I may not get paid

Billct2

How they wish to express themselves is up to them.
but if I was contacting someone that had been suggested by a friend and I didn't know their name I would say
"Hello, my name is Bill, Joe Blow told me to contact you about doing the graphics on my store windows"
Picky? Maybe, but like I said, I was taught that busienss relationships should be handled in a professional manner.