• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

email Etiquette

ddubia

When I get a similar email to the "Hey" greeting I try to steer them into a more professional manner by a strictly business/professional response. If that doesn't work I'll accept their manner but be wary in dealing with them. They may turn out to be a great customer who's not into the "formal thing" or turn out to be a buffoon who is a time waster. I'll find out quick enough and handle them appropriately.

thesignguy1986

I have no issue with how they introduce themselves. A customer is a customer and though I want to remain professional if relating to them by me saying " Hey whats going on ? " when they walk into the store rather the " hello how can we help you?" then so be it. I personally am a laid back casual guy. I wear nice jeans and a polo, heck sometimes even a tshirt in the shop so the least of my concern is how they email me. I don't know that's just my opinion but as I said above I have no hard feeling because somebody emailing me says "hey"

AceSignsOnline

I can generally tolerate poorly written emails as long as I can understand the message, but I'll admit to getting extremely annoyed when it gets so bad that they start with words like "prolly" and "wut".

I'll be the first to admit that I use a casual and conversational style of writing, but some things are better left to 7-grade text messaging.

TammieH

Honestly, if I get an email from someone starting out with "hey" or the like, I would most likely trash it, if its not from someone that I know.

Manners.

GypsyGraphics

Hey at least they spell it right, I have had multiple emails come with "hay" as the intro.

Hay is for horses!!!

i received an email yesterday that should have started with "Hay" (i think it was about horses)
it was the biggest bunch of hoo-haa i ever read. although, i have gone back and read it three times, becuase it cracks me up and leaves me scratching my head at the same time. 3 or 4 paragraphs about the year of the horse, universal cosmic ch'i and following inner voices. her slogan is, coaching and training to align with your intuition and your answers. oooookaaay :thumb:

apparently this lady and i were at the same business function a few days ago. i don't know whether to respond with, "never email me again" or "thanks for the laugh."

gosh... i really gotta be more careful who i hand my business cards to.

Biker Scout

Whooaa Nelly... Hay There Pardner!
Don't knock that stuff... it's not all woo hoo. I've turned my personal life around and my professional just through changing the way I thought. I've manifested pieces of equipment out of thin air, clients, money, an awesome woman! All because of the way I understand how the body/mind/emotions work. I could write a self-help book on this. I'm no longer Doubting Thomas.

GypsyGraphics

I've manifested pieces of equipment out of thin air, clients, money, an awesome woman! All because of the way I understand how the body/mind/emotions work.

i do understand my body, mind and emotions... what i don't understand is what kind of business advice this is.
"This yang Horse year has the potential to channel the powerful new upthrust of Ch’i through the Horse’s Heart energy of Fire and into every project we start, every desire we reach for."

personally... unless you know how an email about "Horse Heart energy of Fire" will be received, i think it's probably best to test the waters first, with something less hoo-haa-esque.

maybe you'd have to see the whole email to appreciate how nonsensical it sounds. especially, for a first form of business communication. similar to a first email contact beginning with "hey" when you haven't establish an informal relationship with the recipient.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Hey,

I'm taking the holistic approach (insert magical new age hand gesture) to all my email's so
I have better juju..

It took me a while to get used to being called "pal"
from my east coast contacts and clients. Where
I'm from, "Pal" could get you punched in the nose.

By the way Gigi, you should wash your keyboard out with
soap, do you know what hoo-haa is?

Suz

Hey, Hay is 4 Horsies.
:)
LOL

Oh oh, don't Heyte me
:)
LOL

Just fooling around, by "Hey" is okay by me, if the person greeting me that way is a potential Customer and they haven't somehow caused me problems in the past by their bad attitude or cheapness when asking for everything under the sun!

Just yesterday, I got that kind of greeting in an e-mail, asking for a quote. I gladly sent a price out, the guy is a window washer and he does our building. He's a very nice man with a casual and friendly way about him. That is okay with me!

So, what the Hey!

David Wright

Dear Mr. Gabagoo,
I don't entirely agree with your reaction to the word hey.
Calling someone chief though is a different matter.
Regards
David

Biker Scout

Ugghh... I hate that when people call me "chief" or "boss". It's always the same types of people too. The guy at the auto parts counter, the metal supply place, the hardware store, the forklift driver and on and on... Have some dignity and self respect man! It's a lazy sign of fake respect.