• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Emergency Help! IP addresses?

threeputt

Well, no sooner did I say I was up and running and my printer/computer connection was lost again. Versaworks queues up the job, it sees it, but when I hit print, it says "printer is disconnected, please check the cause". How in h*ll can that be?

Grrrr.....very maddening. I've got a pm into Bobby. Right now,....I'm headed home. Maybe things will look different in the morning.

threeputt

Yeah, you're probably correct. The company we had set up out server and network did that I suppose. We no longer use that company.

Now I find I can't reach our server from my design station. We definetly need a network guy to come in and help us.

When the new computer company opens up this morning I'll try and give them a call. Then with someone's here, on site, that knows networking maybe I can get up and running.

cgsigns_jamie

Why not just connect the printer to the network and eliminate the second NIC?

Just be sure that you set a reservation for the printers IP, if you use a DHCP server

BobbyFosson

Jamie, that is what we are working on now. The description of their network I have now is a bit messed up. Sent them out to buy a Patch cable to directly connect printer to switch.

cgsigns_jamie

Very good. Like you, I tend to think an extra NIC equals extra headaches.

(It's threads like this that keep me coming back to this site. Where else can you get this kind of help, so quickly?)

jiarby

FYI - I would always recommend NOT having two NICs in a single PC... pain in the rear most of the time.

It's like a super sharp kitchen knife... in the right hands it juliennes veggies, in the wrong one it cuts fingers.

Dual NICs are useful in certain situations, such as to separate switch hogging traffic to it's own network... but, as Bobby says, most small networks do not require it because the traffic level is so low.

artcitysigns

i have tried to run the intercon net tool, but it won't let me "install: ip wizard"....i have both my printer, and my computer on the same icp addy.... subnet the same on both too....any thoughts?...how to get the net tool to work, and how to just get it sinked up....

cgsigns_jamie

The computer and printer cannot have the same IP address.

The first three sections of the IP need to be the same, but the last section needs to be different.

For Example:
Computer = 192.168.0.1
Printer = 192.168.0.2

Last edited:

artcitysigns

i tried to do what you had said, and still i can't get it networked...."Device not found...status not acquired."....that is the warning I get from Versaworks when I try to type in the correct IP addy....so, the printer, and the versaworks both would have the same number, but i get that error...make sense?...sorry, hard to communicate that one...thanks for your help

artcitysigns

omg!...magicaly, i just went over to my Roland, and boom, the ip addresses someone clicked and worked....this is monday morning, and i was messing around with it allllllllllllllll weekend, and have to finally just give up for monday...hmmmm....hope the whole day goes like this!