• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

employee freelancing...........

DerbyCitySignGuy

I hate to break it to you but it absolutely is not a managers job to coddle employees. If you expect a manager to deal with employee issues all the time then that is not a manager, that is a babysitter. And those employees with these issues that need constant intervention and employees that constantly question every single instruction are bad employees period. At what point does an employee have responsibilities to be mature, grown up adults in your world? These types of employees are a drag on the workplace, they kill morale and they waste the time of effective leaders. If your boss tells you "because I said so" it is probably because you never listen and they are sick and tired of your attitude. Quit confusing bad leadership with bad employees. Even good managers can not fix a bad employee.

Quit moving the goalposts.

If your manager has one style of dealing with employees, they're a bad manager. A manager that doesn't understand that every employee is different and needs to be handled differently is a bad manager. A manager that comes in, barks out orders, and goes back into their office is a bad manager.

There are no bad employees, only bad leaders. You can find about 10,000 variations of that saying, and there's a reason for it.

equippaint

I think that this is is simply a communication error as well a failed managing style/philosophy. If you told me to not go down the turnpike when delivering something but it was faster or easier I would be frustrated and would think that you were just wasting my time. How ever if you said to me 'Remember don't take the turnpike this time because wide loads aren't permitted on there and you'll be fined' I would agree and thank you for the reminder and not do it.

Sometime a simple explanation is all it takes, and the attitude of I'm the boss do what I say because I'm the boss means that you'll never get the employees that you'll need to grow your business. The best boss I ever had is a Program Director at a radio station up here I work for on the weekends, he's the best simple because he's approachable, honest, has open communication with all his employee's, never tells you want to do but ask's and explains things so you feel included in whats going on.
I agree with you. Sometimes in fast paced environments there isn't time to explain everything. Sometimes you have to just say hey, take I95 and do not use the turnpike. I don't have a bad attitude at all with my employees and am very easy going. The words "because I said" or "because Im the boss" have never ever came into my head much less out of my mouth. There are points that I expect employees to do what I say and follow instruction. Not everything is debatable and the things that are not, do not require any explanation. When I say you have to wear fall protection I am not going to explain why. Same goes with a hard hat, wear it

equippaint

Quit moving the goalposts.

If your manager has one style of dealing with employees, they're a bad manager. A manager that doesn't understand that every employee is different and needs to be handled differently is a bad manager. A manager that comes in, barks out orders, and goes back into their office is a bad manager.

There are no bad employees, only bad leaders. You can find about 10,000 variations of that saying, and there's a reason for it.
Lol really? No bad employees? Again, what responsibility does an employee have then? So you expect to bring whatever crybaby attitude that you have with you, alienate your coworkers with it, irritate your boss with your attention seeking behavior and then expect them to hug it out with you? I think that you know of all of the variations of the saying "there are no bad employees only bad managers" because you have spent a lot of time online trying to justify yourself as being a great employee that just somehow ends up working for all of these bad bosses. When it is really your entitled attitude causing your problems.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Eh, while I have my doubts about the "kids", I know folks who were around when I was a kid myself thought my generation sucked.
And the four I mentioned as having fought the non-competes? Every single one of them are now in their late 50s to early 60s.

This absolutely is about communication. If an employee says, "This isn't a good idea, why are we doing this?" and the managerial response is, "Because I said so," and not an explanation that the employee can comprehend, that manager sucks. Plain and simple. That's a failing of management to communicate ideas and strategies. You know what happens when you fail to effectively communicate with employees? The examples you listed.
So freaking much this. While I don't agree with the coddling part you mention later, I've never understood why managers think "I said so" is an appropriate response. Even when training someone who knows nothing about what our shop produces, I explain to them why I'm having them doing something in a certain way. Then I tell them, "learn it my way so you can do it- because I know my way works. Then, if you think of a better way- let's discuss it and then everyone benefits from it."

DerbyCitySignGuy

Lol really? No bad employees? Again, what responsibility does an employee have then? So you expect to bring whatever crybaby attitude that you have with you, alienate your coworkers with it, irritate your boss with your attention seeking behavior and then expect them to hug it out with you? I think that you know of all of the variations of the saying "there are no bad employees only bad managers" because you have spent a lot of time online trying to justify yourself as being a great employee that just somehow ends up working for all of these bad bosses. When it is really your entitled attitude causing your problems.

Yes, there are no bad employees. Unless (again) we're dealing with someone bad at managing and they keep employees who are clearly not suited for the role or a good fit for the company. If a problem employee makes it past the provisional period without correcting any potentially problematic behavior, that's bad management. Just to clarify that point: if a place of business has a "bad" employee, how did that employee get there? They didn't just show up one day and start working, someone hired them. That's a failure on the part of management. If an employee that isn't a good fit (or is incapable of doing the job) makes it past the provisional period, that's not the fault of the employee. So, if any employee makes it past a provisional period, they're either not a bad employee or someone has made a terrible mistake in hiring them.

Anyway, you're seriously deflecting. I'm not trying to justify anything, I'm trying to share information with you that's based on data from studies that have been conducted over the years. What you choose to do with that information (which seems to be fighting it tooth and nail) is up to you.

You're being purposefully obtuse and/or argumentative. In either case, I don't care, but it's not really furthering the conversation.

Last edited:

DerbyCitySignGuy

Eh, while I have my doubts about the "kids", I know folks who were around when I was a kid myself thought my generation sucked.
And the four I mentioned as having fought the non-competes? Every single one of them are now in their late 50s to early 60s.

So freaking much this. While I don't agree with the coddling part you mention later, I've never understood why managers think "I said so" is an appropriate response. Even when training someone who knows nothing about what our shop produces, I explain to them why I'm having them doing something in a certain way. Then I tell them, "learn it my way so you can do it- because I know my way works. Then, if you think of a better way- let's discuss it and then everyone benefits from it."

Every generation thinks the following generation is worthless. Pretty sure it's a rule at this point. Haha! Also, I was using the word "coddle" facetiously, since the word was used as a pejorative previously, hence the quotation marks. Hard to translate tone to text!

"Learn it my way, but come up with a better way" is a great process management line. It's like the whole crux of that position in a single sentence. You're absolutely 100% though, and an employee like that (asks questions, actively works to come up with better solutions) is an absolutely invaluable asset.

ikarasu

Still back and fourth, huh?

I don't think anyone will change anyones mind. Some managers think they're doing you a favor by hiring you, and you owe them everything. Some employees think they're doing you a favor by sticking around, and the owners owe them everything.

It's a Mutually beneficial relationship. An owner isn't going to make money without an employee - And sure, you can tell me for every person you're willing to fire, there is 100 that will take their place... And thats true. But good luck finding a good employee, and good luck keeping turnover down.

The place I work at now isn't the best pay. Doesn't have the best benefits - Guess what the turn over rate is? I've been here for 3 years, and I'm the newest employee. I've seen 1 person leave, and that's because they went out of country. The longest employee has been here for 32 years - The lowest employee, besides me... has been here for 18 years. The owners respect, and understand their employees and their needs. They don't put useless restrictions on them because they're afraid to use a couple bucks... the same restrictions that tell the employee they're not trusted enough to do their own thing. The company has benefited by low turnover, people with massive experience and know how.

You guys can manage your business how you want... But putting restrictions turns away talent. I want to work for a company that not only has their interests in mind, but also mine. So far every company I've worked for has been like that. I find more companies are understanding than restrictive, which is a good thing.

petepaz

talk to her about it maybe if you work together it could be more work for you also. maybe she is designing stuff that could be printed through your company or maybe she is working on projects that could involve your production if you get some more info.
you won't be getting every job but every one you get is one more than you had before and you didn't have to do any extra work to get it.
maybe it's something you could work out with her and give her some sort of commission on jobs she brings in. if she is that good of an employee you don't want to lose then try to work it to your advantage

thank you guys! I appreciate all of your input.... I took her to breakfast this morning, and we communicated well..... she is overall happy where she stands, she thanked me for seeing her more than a just a number in the company, she has never felt that way in any other employer.... I explained my past concerns, current concerns, and future visions....

I am happy with the outcome and she is as well!

Thanks again!

Last edited:

DerbyCitySignGuy

thank you guys! I appreciate all of your input.... I took her to breakfast this morning, and we communicated well..... she is overall happy where she stands, she thanked me for seeing her more than a just a number in the company, she has never felt that way in any other employer.... I explained my past concerns, current concerns, and future visions....

I am happy with the outcome and she is as well!

Thanks again!

Awesome, glad it worked out for you!

Natalia21

I would never fire without giving the opportunity of explanation.
That's great. I totally understand your situation. You have to think about other employees. As in the contract paper you mentioned "no moonlighting" then you can make her explain the situation. If it is not satisfactory and as she breached the contract you can take further step as you have to work for other employees also. Not every job require "No moonlighting". You mentioned that on the contract that means it should not be broken.