• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ever feel so helpless?

showcase 66

Yesterday evening we all got together for a neighborhood BBQ and to see the solar eclipse. Just after 630 was suppose to be the best time to see the most coverage of the sun. Instead it became one of our neighbors worst nightmare.

Their little 2 year old girl was hit by a car. I was the closest to her when she stumbled into the street and you could see what was about to happen but I couldn't do anything. Completely paralyzed at that moment. Even her parents couldn't move to do anything. She was hit hardest by the side view mirror and she literately looked like a rag doll in the air.

I know it's not, but I feel that it was my fault for not stopping her before she went into the street. If I feel this way, I can only imagine what her parents feel like. 6 teeth were knocked out and she has a bunch of road rash all over her face. Haven't talked to my neighbor since last night but I know she is in stable condition as of this morning.

I just felt so helpless last night.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Having a 2 year old myself, it would be the worst day of my life. Please let your neighbor know my prayers are with them and their little girl.

I hope nothing is very serious and its all just minor injuries. Did the driver stop their car?

fmg

It's not your fault and sure you could and would have done everything in your power to prevent this from happening to this poor girl.
Most important thing now is that she will recover and I am sure your neighbor needs as much support from you as possible.

showcase 66

Just talked to her dad. She broke both collarbones, dislocated shoulder and the road rash on her face is pretty bad. Basically missing half her nose is what he said. The CT Scan didnt appear to have anything that jumped out at the doctor but they are still waiting for the results from the radiologist.

When I was talking to him, his wife came running out of the house saying they needed to get back to the hospital because they found something. Not sure what that means exactly.

The lady who was driving stopped and was completely shook up as well. It is someone who lives on our street just one block over.

Jack Knight1979

I'm so sorry to hear about this. It's not your fault. My prayers are with her.

I can understand to a certain extent. I was at a birthday party with my family and our good friends new dog bit my son on the face. It was bad enough to need stitches. These things unfortunately do happen.

My heart is heavy reading about this. Again. I'm so sorry for all involved. I hope that she recovers fully. Kids bounce back very well.

Christian @ 2CT Media

That's one tough 2 year old... 2 Broken Collar Bones on a two year old and she is still alive is an amazing feat! She will be ok, and will recover... It isn't your fault and you had no control over the situation, all you have to do as a good human being is to be there in anyway you can.

petepaz

it's not your fault and the main thing is she is ALIVE! been through a bad tragedy with our family and i constantly second guess and think i could have done something to prevent it but there wasn't and nothing i would have done would have prevented the accident or the loss our family suffered. Just do whatever you can to help and comfort your neighbors

Techman

Anxiety and regret are normal feelings.. They will pass..

This accident is exactly why I am teaching my son to slow down to a crawl when we see people and especially kids at the side of the road. They will bolt for any reason at any second.

maskman

It's not your fault and sure you could and would have done everything in your power to prevent this from happening to this poor girl.
Most important thing now is that she will recover and I am sure your neighbor needs as much support from you as possible.

x2 on this. You cant see the future. Our prayers are with them !

Stuckup

Our thoughts are with Her and her Family and yourself. Should have and Could have thoughts in this situation is a terrible thing to bear, especially when there is nothing you did wrong or really could have known to do. Hope Improvement comes fast, Thoughts and Love to Her From Australia.

surf city

Thoughts and Prayers going out to that little girl and her family, like Pete said, thank God that she is still alive....

Ken

OMG ..an awful experience to face..dont beat yourself up..this will turn around. Best thoughts and wishes for the little girl, the family and YOU!
Peace...Ken

skyhigh

I can't imaging how difficult that must have been for her parents (and yourself) to have witnessed.

Sounds like she will be fine....after a bunch of healing, and possibly some surgery. Just thank God she was not hurt worse....or worse.

Don't beat yourself up. The best you can do is be a shoulder to lean on. May help with your healing also.

A few things you can do, as they are probably spending enormous amounts of time at the hospital...
Cut their grass
Make them dinner
Cards, letting them know you are thinking about them

showcase 66

Talked to the grandma a little bit ago. She had broken some ribs and when they left to head back earlier when I talked to them, it was because one of her lungs was slightly punctured and started to collapse. They got her stable again but they need to fix her one collarbone soon. It is going to need some pins and other hardware.

The Grandma said that she has been doing good and still communicating with the nurses and her parents. She also got excited when they brought a TV in that has a DVD player with a bunch of Mickey Mouse cartoons. Her grandma said even through the swelling and bandages you could tell she was smiling about the cartoons.

They are hoping she will be able to come home by Friday.

qmr55

It sounds as if she is doing very well! Glad it turned out this way, as it could have been way worse. I know this must be tough for you and all others around her, but just remember...she is alright! Keep us updated, hope all goes well!