• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

External Harddrives? Who uses them

Sticker Dude

I have been looking at these for sometime now and I see a real nice 1 TB at staples for under $125
How many of you use the external HD for their business and what sizes? Do you put all customer work content ect. on the HD?

TresL

1TB, I use it as a backup.
It comes out of the fire safe once a week, then right back in.

msrobere

I have 3 of em 1tb each hooked up to windows home server. The data is replicated to each of them so if one goes down just remove the bad one hook up a new one it rebuilds the storage system. When i need more storage just plug in another one.

vinylbarry

We have 2 Western Digitials 80 GBs each and use them as back ups everthing is stored on both of them.
I had lost a hard drive on a comp and learned the hard way but never ever again.

TheSnowman

I use INTERNAL drives EXTERNALLY. Cheaper storage. Just get the cradle, and stick in the USB, Firewire, or ESATA card.

Letterbox Mike

go with eSATA if you can, much faster transfer rate than USB or Firewire. That makes a huge difference is you're reading and writing files to the drive constantly or if you're transferring large amounts of data over in one big lump.

DarbySign

All my art and customer files are on an external USB drive so I can maintain full productivity whether I'm at my shop, at home or on the road. (Whether you'd consider that a convenience or a ball and chain is up to you.) I also have three backups that also contain disk images of my main computer taken from a point in time that I know everything will work.

Does anyone use any online services for online data storage and backup?

choucove

While external hard drives offer a great tool for backups, I would not recommend using them as your one and only location for storing data. External drives are quite notorious for failures due to overheating, damage from transportation, or just plain poor quality. I highly recommend that if you are storing all your information on an external drive that you duplicate this data to at least one additional external drive for safe keeping. Trust me, I've learned from experience that external drives can and WILL fail. I've also learned from experience that having professional data recovery done on even a single drive can cost more than a brand new computer, so never be frugal with backing up your data.

visual800

I do what craig does I use 2 internal hardrives externally. My thoughts are all harddrives are EVENTUALLY gonna crash. one hard drive aint better than the other, ive had all types crqash and with hard drives its not WILL they crash its more like when will they crash? I back up 3 times excessive i know but i sweat once you turn your back BAM its all gone

choucove

There are a lot of great online backup tools out there, one of the biggest names being Carbonite. I set up storage for another company recently which only required about 2 GB of data to be stored off-site (accounting files) and was able to install eDrive on their Windows Home Server computer which automatically backs up the data off-site daily and for up to 2 GB was a completely free account. eDrive is one of the few online backup programs that can run on a vast number of operating systems including Windows server environments and I believe even Linux, where Carbonite was only able to run on your standard Windows XP/Vista/7 computer.

Just keep in mind, however, that most of the time online backups are not feasible for all your customer art files which can be enough to fill an internal hard drive. Not only does it take days (depending upon your internet speed) to upload the changed or new files to their servers, but the cost for an account of such magnitude can be more than a brand new internal hard drive per month. If you are using a smaller account to backup smaller files, such as your accounting files, then it is much more feasible. We use the online backup that comes with Quickbooks and have up to either 1 or 2 GB of storage for free with our yearly support package.

For those of you doing backups, I'm curious, do you backup individual files and folders from one location to another drive (so that all the original files and folders can be viewed and recovered directly from the backup drive) or do you make disk images or clones of your original hard drive and store the image on a second drive (so you must use a disk recovery utility to recover the files)?

CropMarks

we have a 2TB Western Digital My Book World Edition II Dual Drive Network Storage external that has worked pretty well so far. paid $220 at newegg. Normally I build everything myself... but I thought I would give this a shot. Has worked great and super easy to setup.

anotherdog

a couple of 1tb and 1.5tb drives. I keep three important versions of all my data;
A monthly copy of the server I drop onto an external drive, a Norton daily backup and an offsite carbonite backup.

The Carbonite offsite is now over half a gig and runs very slowly in the background...but it helps me sleep at night. On thing to watch with carbonite, if you have half a gig of files, transfering that to an online server may incur extra data charges from your internet company.

I have needed all three for various reasons in the last year including a server drive. failing.