• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Extreme Makeover - The Entries

Extreme makeover Contest - Vote for your favorite

• #1 Replicator

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • #2 Ground Chuck

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • #3 Ground Chuck

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • #4 Signage

• #5 Ken

• #6 Bladegraphics

Votes: 46 32.9%
  • #7 Isign

• #8 Jillbeans

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • #9 Flame Master

• #10 Jillbeans

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • #11 Stevo Design

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • #12 Vid

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • #13 Replicator

• #14 Signosaurus Rex

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • #15 Holeshotrob

• #16 Flame Master

• #17 Torgy97

• #18 Stevo Design

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • #19 Jillbeans

• #20 Tikiboyz

• #21 Wannabe

• #22 Holeshotrob

• #23 Deaton Design

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • #24 Bluttr

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • #25 Geb

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • #26 Flame Master

• #27 Isign

• #28 GAC05

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • #29 Pat Whatley

Votes: 13 9.3%
  • #30 Bluttr

• #31 Geb

• #32 Checkers

• #33 Njsigns

Votes: 14 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iSign

great stuff... I narrowed it down to 2 choices in my first run-through... gotta go check the voting rules again... but I already know they are going to force me to pick one (unless I go create a new signs101 user name :rolleyes: )

iSign

OK... ran through again... and ONE entry honestly makes me want to go in the store... even though it's 10,000 miles away.... that "emotion" certainly didn't come from the original sign, nor would I have expected to become curious of a store in another part of the world... but my vote is for the entry that is so compelling... I would have to go check out Jim's!!

iSign

Are these all within budget?
Perhaps that should have been part of the exercise.
It is part of the excercise Ken, and was discussed somewhat.

I think Fred summed it up with this comment:
This is starting to get way too complicated class. In the final analysis, the entire student body will be the judge (with their votes) as to who stayed withing Jim's budget and who did not.

I will add that I voted for one that I feel was designed with an affordable method of production. There are some really nice designs being voted on that I personally feel have unreaslitic amounts of custom work required in their fabrication.

I encourage voters to remember that this excercise does ask for entries thinking like a sign business... not just like a sign designer.
(mine suck compared to so many... so I'm not looking for votes here... just hoping to see voters remember to judge who stayed within Jim's budget)

wannabe

I think if some of these are doable in the assigned budget, I may have to close my shop and just farm out all my work and become a middle man...er...uh...woman, let alone the fabulous amount of talent whose shadows I'm not even qualified to stand in.

wannabe

This is my first poll, so is it "Winner take all" or are there different categories? ie; best design, most realistic, consolation, gotta be something for ugliest or a sympathy vote? Just kidding, I read above.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
This contest is what you make of it. Certain specifications were laid out. These included the minimum content (which includes a directional arrow or pointer) and a budget which was left somewhat open to interpretation.

Your vote should take these things into account. But there is no such requirement. I personally did not vote for the best looking design. I voted for the best looking design for Jim's needs that met the stated specifications.

Food for thought.

skyhigh

Fred, I think you should have a poll in which we get to guess who did each design. Submitted in an email to you, of course.

ohhhh and don't forget PRIZES for the one with the most correct guesses.:Big Laugh

mladams7259

Skyhigh
Im kinda thinking the same thing as you.

As I scrolled through the thread there were 3 or 4 that I knew EXACTLY which member did the sign because of the style and layout used. It would be nice to guess who did the rest of them. Excellent work folks......

Jon Aston

Fred is one prolific and versatile designer!! Holy smokes!! I had no idea!!

Just kiddin'.

I haven't been following this contest, but I must say that I like the idea of there being all anonymous entries. It will be fun to see if some of my guesses are on the money. Heck, guessing could be a whole other contest.

And I agree. That is some really fantastic work there, people!!!!

Thanks for the eye candy.

Ken

Yes, we have a nearby sign shop that has a "signature" to it in the way he does a lot of his text. Not all of it. But it is unmistakeable once you are familiar with the style. iSigns comment about an affordable method of production will definately influence my vote.
Still, though, there are many choices even considering that.
Cheers!
Ken

Geary

Wow, good stuff guys! :tongue: I do hope the one I voted for wins. It, to me, stands out as THE most with "era" and "substance" .... like a sore thumb....only in the GOOD way. :thumb:

G.

Marlene

this is really hard as the ones that I like the most clearly aren't the ones that were done with the budget.

Holeshotrob

I could have gone all out as well, but I tried to stay within the guidelines. I think alot of us really did well in doing so. Good job, everyone! Lots of beautiful work here!

Geary

Fred,

Marlene and Rob bring up a good point. What if the one that everybody is voting for wins and then it's shown that the job can't be done for $995.00? :tongue:

~G.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ha.... life just isn't fair....huh ?? Simple, they win the contest, but they lost the contract because they were lowballed by someone else and didn't follow directions.

They'll need to look into how they are either giving their wares away or how to do what the customer requests. That falls into our job description.... last time I looked.

If you can’t follow simple rules, how will you ever make it in ANY business ??

Steve C.

Not to sound mean, but I think color choices are poor on most entries. I know
profit margin was not a factor, but several I feel could not be completed on
budget. And a few seem to me to be structurally imposible. I took this into
consideration when I voted. Hope no one takes offence at my observations.
JMHO