• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Feedback on Layout

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
I see Twisted Cedar in that font, and I want to run as far away as possible from that place and the axe murderers within.

Subconsciously it screams "CRAZY PEOPLE INSIDE" to me.

equippaint

They're going to tell you they like the designs but stick with the top left. Since it is what they want, you'll make it and in a few months, a picture of it will end up here in a thread blaming ugly signs on lazy hack designers.

Johnny Best

child care.jpg

SheBeau

Maybe.... Even out the weight a bit and sharpen the tree, like a kid’s drawing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 9.03.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 9.03.23 AM.png
    230.1 KB · Views: 275

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer
Their tree logo, quite frankly, blows chunks. There is waaaay to much copy in it that forces the viewer to try to read it. Try a simplified logo.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 192

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:roflmao: I think we should have a contest to see who can change the customer's logos without pIssing them off and still get away with it. Let's start with Merrill Lynch, then BMW and have a try at Apple. Heck, while we're at it, let's change the look of the flag....... they ain't gonna notice, huh ??

:wavingflag:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Why stop there... Lets change the name. In fact, I really don't like the location because of the sign restrictions so why don't they move.... No, just forget about it, let me open the daycare and I'll run the damn thing ;)

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I see Twisted Cedar in that font, and I want to run as far away as possible from that place and the axe murderers within.

Subconsciously it screams "CRAZY PEOPLE INSIDE" to me.
I deleted Brady Bunch font from my computer the day I started here.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
OK. I'll admit I am primarily a graphic designer these days, but I came up through the sign business, so I look at design through the lens of a sign guy. I still sell a lot of signs, but I no longer have a big sign shop, equipment and a bunch of employees.

It is not uncommon to get a request like the OP got. I will always produce a design along the lines of the original request, but I will often throw out a completely new concept. I have a long list of clients who have re-energized their business with a new logo and branding concept. This has led to many long term relations, and a lot of new business designing not only signs but collateral marketing materials, web sides, vehicle graphics, advertising, etc. Because my overhead is tiny compared to full service sign shop, the economic pressures on me are different. My clients come to me for my design services, not because I have a shop full of equipment and a fleet of service trucks.

Last week a customer approached me to do a vinyl logo on their storefront window. They already had a logo; they just wanted me to cut it in vinyl and stick it on. I gave them a price, but I also showed them some different logo options, and explained to them how they could expand that into a totally refreshed identity program. Today, at their request, I went out and surveyed their location, and I will be presenting a complete storefront design including a new logo. They are also interested in a new website, and three vehicle wraps with the new branding. They are repainting their interior, and are planning on a new interior graphics package, merchandising collateral, and a coordinated social media campaign.

I have another client who is now actively searching for a new location after first contacting me for a replacement sign face. A $2k job has turned into what could amount to $tens of thousands with an entirely new branding package, new signs, menus, web page, and a digital message center on a pylon sign in a high traffic count area.

Sometimes reinventing the wheel is the right thing to do!

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Damned fire marshalls! They require 12" address numbers on every sign in my city. Problem being, some areas allow 4' max height, so 1/4 of the sign is freakishly large numbers! Then 99% of the time they do not enforce it, so my fully compliant sign will look stupid next to idiot Joe's sign which has no address...
In any case Congrats! Glad that your customer was accepting of your improvements!
That sounds ridiculous. I have never seen a Starbucks , McDonalds or Amoco sign with 12" address numbers on it. I think you may have a very unique situation.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Tex..... why is it, I cannot see your pictures anymore ?? These in the end, I couldn't see at all.