• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fiberglass ladder care

bannertime

But yeah, I went with a Werner exclusively because it didn't say "LITTLE GIANT" down the side...

We use the Werner versions and they're pretty solid. Also have the work planks that go on the rungs. They're pretty nice too. We got a Little Giant on a buy out and it's good, but not any better than the Werner.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Just food for thought: virtually every commercial construction company bans any kind of metal ladder due to conductivity concerns. The metal "Little Giant Type" (multi-position) ladders are great but a fiberglass ladder would be needed on most construction sites.

Little Giant makes some of the best ladders there are. I have the 8', 6' and 4' Microburst, the 6' King Kombo, the 6'-10' Select Step and the Xtreme 19' with ratchet levelers. They all serve unique purposes.

c700x420.jpg

5-king-kombo-professional-ladder-17.png

b3fd48056ee969a51b34637b75c7c082.jpg

Revolution_Ratchet_22_Hero_1200x.jpg

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I'm with Gino - have a local awning company make a heavy duty cover. Made right, you could leave it attached and it would actually look pretty decent.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Just food for thought: virtually every commercial construction company bans any kind of metal ladder due to conductivity concerns. The metal "Little Giant Type" (multi-position) ladders are great but a fiberglass ladder would be needed on most construction sites.

Little Giant makes some of the best ladders there are. I have the 8', 6' and 4' Microburst, the 6' King Kombo, the 6'-10' Select Step and the Xtreme 19' with ratchet levelers. They all serve unique purposes.

View attachment 147166

View attachment 147167

View attachment 147168

View attachment 147169
You must not have any employees.

Notarealsignguy

Tex did you just add that picture? Look at that clean truck. No wonder the sun tears your stuff up before you wear it out.
Every week just walk out your back door and flip them over. That should double the life of them.

Notarealsignguy

That or a nice thick layer of Texas dirt should keep some UV off.
What're the hooky jigs on the outside of the bent rails, extension cord carrier?
Looks like they're supposed to be tie down points but looks like a good spot to tear your face open.
They do weird stuff in texas, look at that fence. Do they not sell wood posts over there or do you guys got a lot of time on your hands?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
That or a nice thick layer of Texas dirt should keep some UV off.
What're the hooky jigs on the outside of the bent rails, extension cord carrier?

They are there to catch my pockets as I climb down and cause me to fall.

But I don't really know what for. I wouldn't keep extension cord hanging off it. Can't put a ladder on them because they block the upper tool box from opening.

Tex did you just add that picture? Look at that clean truck. No wonder the sun tears your stuff up before you wear it out.
Every week just walk out your back door and flip them over. That should double the life of them.

Didn't have anywhere to go yesterday and I scrubbed the bed of that truck with a scotchbrite pad thing attached to my drill. Made it look like new. Gets the bugs off the grill easy too, just wear glasses when you use it unless you want bug particles in your eyes. :cool:

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Not saying your wrong, but I've never run into such a requirement. Maybe you mean more for federal contract type work? I've had to wear a hard hat on site about 20 times my whole career, and I want to say those were federal projects... prevailing wages and all that jazz.

Not federal work, commercial construction. The builders themselves....Balfour Beatty, Turner, Austin, Beck, Archer, Reed...prohibit aluminum ladders during most phases of construction.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Not federal work, commercial construction. The builders themselves....Balfour Beatty, Turner, Austin, Beck, Archer, Reed...prohibit aluminum ladders during most phases of construction.
Yea now that you say that, I don't think I've ever seen an aluminum ladder in a construction site...maybe that's why no little giants.

Long ago a sign company I worked for had one of those multi use ladders. I didn't like it because it was heavy, a strain to setup and felt flimsy when you were on it.

Notarealsignguy

Is it because of insulation because aluminum ladders have pads on the feet, neither are rated as insulated as far as I know. I thought it has more to do with aluminum being more easily damaged and not being able to see it. You can't miss damage on a fiberglass ladder.
Employees... you wouldn't be buying those high dollar ladders for them to use. We are constantly trashing ladders, they walk them, throw them, run em over and whatever else they can do. Good people but not their money or problem to deal with. My guys also don't like the heavy duty fiberglass ladders, too heavy.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Is it because of insulation because aluminum ladders have pads on the feet, neither are rated as insulated as far as I know. I thought it has more to do with aluminum being more easily damaged and not being able to see it. You can't miss damage on a fiberglass ladder.
Employees... you wouldn't be buying those high dollar ladders for them to use. We are constantly trashing ladders, they walk them, throw them, run em over and whatever else they can do. Good people but not their money or problem to deal with. My guys also don't like the heavy duty fiberglass ladders, too heavy.

I believe conductivity is the primary reason but wouldn't doubt if the whole structural integrity aspect comes into play.

VTSigns

Just get nice aluminum ladders and you will be fine. I started out with fiberglass many years ago and ran into the same problems. We switched to aluminum over 10 years ago and the same ladders are still going strong. I've been on jobsites just about everywhere and have never had my ladders questioned. Also, get a little giant ladder and I promise you it will be the ladder you use most often. We have a couple and they are absolutely fantastic for their portability and sturdiness. I could care less what anyone on a job site might have to say about them, they work.

letterman7

Tape off the cross rails and bedliner the uprights. Adds a couple of pounds a ladder, but then easier to grip and no more UV damage.

Michael-Nola

I print things. It is very exciting.
Sure you could clear them - I've had luck with One Shot 4005 sticking to weird substrates without issue. I'd strip them with ISO first. Or use a good PU with UV inhibitors.
But clears are a lot trickier than ... paint. I haven't seen anyone mention painting on here? Why not just spray or even roll on a nice coat of paint? Bam! You're protected for quite some extra time! I would never pay for a cover just to deal with one extra thing yanking off and on the truck. Plus with my luck I'll end up fighting with it in the wind or balling it up when I'm working then it's always in the way.

Yes it is, when I worked in Dallas we gave a wraps 2 years less of life span than those that were sent to the northern states.

I'm almost positive 3M has all of Texas in their "Horizontal Warranty" section :)

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Just an update. I sprayed them with a clear acrylic lacquer w/ UV protection. (Werner states in the tech sheet that you can do this) The ladders have been out for a month and already started to fade. As soon as I sprayed them they went pure orange again. I think this stuff will work well, we'll see.

gnubler

I'm shopping for an 8ft stepladder and an extension ladder. This thread is a couple years old...any changes or updates to add to the older posts?

Sounds like the Little Giants are loved or hated. Most prefer fiberglass instead of aluminum, yes? I store my ladders indoors so not that worried about sun or weather exposure. I have a 6ft Werner ladder from Home Depot and it's nice and sturdy, so might stick with the same brand for the 8 footer.

JBurton

Signtologist
We've recently started using the gorilla ladders from home depot. They are cheaper and lighter than little giants, but have larger grips on the adjustable parts, which is my guys biggest complaint about the little giants.