• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fiberglass ladder care

signbrad

Fiberglass is a plastic that is reinforced with glass fiber. All plastics deteriorate over time. UV exposure accelerates the deterioration.

Prevent UV exposure and you delay the deterioration.
Any paint or clear that inhibits UV exposure would help. Automotive paints and clears are mostly acrylic polyurethanes these days and provide protection (not homeowner-grade varnish, but automotive polyurethane).
If removing ladders daily is not your cup of tea, garaging the vehicle is the best option. Tarps work, too, as Geno suggested. A carport might help, or a shade tree. But a garage is best.

I liked my wood ladders better than my fiberglass ladders, but wood deteriorates, too. And the fiberglass ladders were not as heavy, even the Type I ladders.

An electrician told once me that painting a ladder compromises its electrical insulating ability. And he said that wood is safer than fiberglass, electrically speaking. Was he right? I don't know, but he stiffed me for two thousand dollars in the early 80s and then disappeared without a trace. (His body will never be found).

Just kidding in Kansas City

Brad

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
An electrician told once me that painting a ladder compromises its electrical insulating ability. And he said that wood is safer than fiberglass, electrically speaking. Was he right? I don't know, but he stiffed me for two thousand dollars in the early 80s and then disappeared without a trace. (His body will never be found).
This is the type of content we login to read.

netsol

Fiberglass is a plastic that is reinforced with glass fiber. All plastics deteriorate over time. UV exposure accelerates the deterioration.

Prevent UV exposure and you delay the deterioration.
Any paint or clear that inhibits UV exposure would help. Automotive paints and clears are mostly acrylic polyurethanes these days and provide protection (not homeowner-grade varnish, but automotive polyurethane).
If removing ladders daily is not your cup of tea, garaging the vehicle is the best option. Tarps work, too, as Geno suggested. A carport might help, or a shade tree. But a garage is best.

I liked my wood ladders better than my fiberglass ladders, but wood deteriorates, too. And the fiberglass ladders were not as heavy, even the Type I ladders.

Just kidding in Kansas City

Brad
years ago, my wife bought a 4ft wooden ladder. we still use it from time to time, in offices.
i am surprised to hear you prefer wood, since everybtime we use that. wooden ladder, everone complains they are digging out splinters for a week

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Well, here is an update 3 years later. The ladders stay on the top of my truck and get sun all the time. It's not practical to take them off and on, or cover with tarp or park in a garage.

Twice a year I spray them with UV protecting acrylic clear coat.. as per the manufacture specs. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00397STRW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

They still have color (though it's more red than orange) and there is no itchyness to them... so it is lasting longer. Every time I spray them the color comes back.

spb

✨鞄➕
Print some graphics on some banner vinyl, cut squares out of the corners, sew them together and throw the result on the ladders. pic related. Grommets and bungee cords may prevent it from flying off the ladder and hitting vehicles behind you during high-speed travel. I make no promises

Attachments

• laddercover.jpg
    laddercover.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Print some graphics on some banner vinyl, cut squares out of the corners, sew them together and throw the result on the ladders. pic related. Grommets and bungee cords may prevent it from flying off the ladder and hitting vehicles behind you during high-speed travel. I make no promises
Looks like an accurate illustration of the summer Texas sun!