• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First job!

charlie3238

Hey guys. I got my first job doing a sign for the local libary in VA. I`m going to use a 36" scroll bracket with an aluminum sign blank. My question is who would you reccomend purchasing that setup from. I was leaning towards signs direct or harbor sales. I attached a pic of what I`m looking for. Thanks guys! Charlie

Attachments

• classic_deluxe_scroll.gif
    classic_deluxe_scroll.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 131

Gino

Premium Subscriber
First.... welcome to :signs101: from PA................

Next, what really is your question ??

If you have two locations in mind, pick the one you like or the best price..... How did you price it out to get the job, if you didn't first price it yourself ?? :rolleyes:

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
hey guys, back off a bit....he said its his first job...does anyone remember what their first job was like??? he's just asking for a little help in making his decision...maybe he's never dealt with either company and wanted to know what kind of experiences we've had...

511graphix

welcome from Ky. yeah you really done this backwards. ( is this going to be your first ever sign job?) good LUCK!!.... and i am with gino too..

charlie3238

hey guys, back off a bit....he said its his first job...does anyone remember what their first job was like??? he's just asking for a little help in making his decision...maybe he's never dealt with either company and wanted to know what kind of experiences we've had...

Thank you fenris! That`s all I was trying to do is get some different input from people since i haven`t used either one of the companies I mentioned. Then somebody starts talking about getting things 'backwards" I havent even given the library a quote for the sign yet! Why is there even a "newbie" forum when all you do is get mauled by people who like to hear themselves talk!

high impact

I figure out my costs and suppliers BEFORE I quote or take on a job. This is a little backwards - learn from this one if it doesn't put you out of business. ;-) (that's a joke if you can't tell)

Grow some thicker skin and chill out Charlie - Some may be a little harsh but they are all trying to help ya! ;-) You need to learn to read what they are really saying. Man, many noobs with fragile egos these days!

Doesn't anyone work a real job anymore where when you walk on the job the craftsman lay on a little heat to see what you are really made of?

S

SignTech

I figure out my costs and suppliers BEFORE I quote or take on a job. This is a little backwards - learn from this one if it doesn't put you out of business. ;-) (that's a joke if you can't tell)

Grow some thicker skin and chill out Charlie - Some may be a little harsh but they are all trying to help ya! ;-) You need to learn to read what they are really saying. Man, many noobs with fragile egos these days!

Doesn't anyone work a real job anymore where when you walk on the job the craftsman lay on a little heat to see what you are really made of?

The first year in the FD most were harassed continuously. Once a newbee choked on some black smoke spiiting out his nose and was found balls deep into the structure assisting a veteran ......... did he even get a beer afterwards .......

Anyway ....... there is a merchant member on Signs101 who sells brackets. They are beautiful and probably not cheap. Otherwise yes www.harborsales.net sells them ............. :glasses:

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja

you're telling him to learn what the others are really saying, but you're not listening to what he's saying....i find that ironic...:toasting:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
fenris... please enlighten us then as to what you read in this person's post that everyone else has misread.

• He stated that he knows two places from where to get the materials.
  • Therefore, it only stands to reason that he should know the prices of said materilas.
  • How hard is it to pick eanie meanie miney moe ??

What's ironic is that he hasn't asked a real question and you're defending him like some little sick pup.

This is a grown person that can't make a decision on how to buy something very simple and wants to hold a conversation about it and you look at it as if he has to start somewhere.

Only after he came back and tickled your fancy for understanding him did he elaborate some more...... I havent even given the library a quote for the sign yet!

So how can this be his first job if he hasn't even contacted the customer yet about square one yet ??

C'mon fenris.... don't confuse starting out with just being lazy. :banghead:

This is the reason Fred started the PREMIER section. We're still all here to help wherever we can, but not the nonsense.

Charlie are you in the sign business? if this is your first paying project and you are asking the questions that you are...i have to agree you are a little backasswards to say the least. who you purchase this "fine" setup is the least of your concerns if you are asking these questions. but since you feel the experienced tradesmen here are jumping your shit when in fact they are trying to save you from yourself at your infantile stage in this industry forget it....good luck to you you're going to need it. i will answer your question though...i wouldnt purchase that 'setup'

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
he stated that this was his first job....obviously he made contact if he has the job...do you always give a quote at first contact?? if i were just starting out, i'd let the customer know that i needed to work up a price.....i thought it was obvious that he wanted to know which company everyone else preferred...if anyone else had dealt this said companies, and what their experiences were....that's what i assumed...i can't help that i assumed right....as we all know, cheapest isn't always the answer.....

and since he DID post this in the newbie forum, it should be expected that he doesn't know everything...it's not laziness...it was a question to get someone else's opinion...i'm sure you didn't know everything when you started out gino....

as simple as the question might appear, if he's a newbie (which he obviously is), he might not have known it was a simple question.....didn't your teachers in school ever say, "the only stupid question, is the one you don't ask??" in grade school, it was told to me on the first day of every year....

personally, if i had never bought from a company before i would want to get someone else's opinion before buying from them...it's one of the good things about ASI....each supplier has a rating, and i can read what other companies have to say about them.....would be nice if we had a section here to do that...

jscarl

Welcome from mid Michigan, where you are 1/2 a vote. Fellas, on your first paying jib you were a little nerveous too, and wanted to anounce it to the world.