• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First time poster prepared for the worst.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
If this is for CNC routing ... why are you going as simple as possible? between the ability to layer materials, do negative cuts and still being able to paint, vinyl and install laminate on your surfaces ... this simple route is confusing.

lukewarmtea

Probably because I honestly don't know any better. It seems to me the general consensus is simple designs often have great appeal. I am 100% open to suggestions though. I did do a very crude demo where I had the front of a semi truck (trucks on a trucker sign a faux pas?) protruding from the sign but I wasn't very happy with the outcome. Something about it didn't feel right.

RobbyMac

KISS works, don't mess with it. the trick is trying to convey alot, with just a little. Make the dot in the i a different shape, or add some flair to the descender of the R in trucking to underline the word, etc... (You know how truckers like their von dutch stuff, though no flaming eyeballs needed here lol) that's where 'adding more while keeping it simple' comes into play.
Your approach for B&W prelims is good. always easier to add color than it is to take it away.
I sorta get the impression that the software is limiting you a bit which is disappointing. I'd like to say grab a pencil and sketch it out if the computer can't do what you want it to.

lukewarmtea

Maybe I should pony up and buy some decent design software. Is there a general concensus on the best software for a decent price?