• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

first time so be gentle with me

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I can't answer the question without asking a few of my own...

What will you be printing?
What will you be applying the graphics too?
Are you doing original design, printing other peoples design, or both?
How much experience do you have with graphic design?
How much experience do you have with design software?
How much experience do you have with printers, laminators and sign equipment?

kylebrk

thanks for the advice......going to atlantic city next weekend for the ISS show......not really looking to go into JUST sign business.......a lot of avenues with the new equipment. That's why I came on here to get educated on the equipment available.....I realize I have a lot to learn......by response of most of these guys, they feel threatened that I am going to come along and clean their clock and put them out of business......and I didn't insinuate that I could just click print and collect $$$.....didn't mean to any ways......thanks again!

You have my personal invitation to come to Lafayette, IN and give it a whirl. I'll hook you up with my realtor if you'd like.

vid

going to atlantic city next weekend for the ISS show......not really looking to go into JUST sign business

Really?... They're great shows... but, I'd really like to see your business plan and your local area demographics to get a better picture of what you're planning. Man, you're choosing two tough businesses to really ...All I can say is wow.

Anyway, It's been awhile since I've been to an ISS show, but I see Venit and Taublieb are still pounding the pavement. See if you can get into Venit's seminar: The Five Biggest Reasons Why Start-Up Apparel Decorators Fail NEW! Ask a lot of questions... Then take him to dinner and tell him about your plan. He's a sharp guy and has been around for yeaaaaaaaaaaaaars. He does consulting, too.

Then do this:
Give me a call anytime you wanna stop by. Maybe we can work together. :thumb:

As an electrician, I'd think you'd have a leg up on any other new to the industry participant. There are some real gems of advice in this thread --- if you can read between the sarcasm.

I'd encourage you to ...if you haven't already ... come up with a business plan that plays to your strengths.

My all time favorite employer, didn't know anything about signs when he started his business. He didn't even know if it would be a donut shop or a sign shop when he left a franchise show. He still can't draw a strate line or spell it correctly. But he's made a very, very good living in the industry.

Good luck with your endeavors!

GypsyGraphics

One of the hardest thing for a lot of shops to find is a reliable electrician who understands the sign trade. You would make a lot more money and quicker if you specialized using the knowledge you already have and in the meantime get yourself a design program and start out by outsourcing your printing needs. Or you could buy one of the many used printers that are coming on the market from people who leaped before they looked.

:goodpost:

doesn't sound like you've much, if any, experience with design or print. forget about looking for a printer... you've got a HUGE advantage being an electrician!

an electrician with a passion for signs.... why it's a stellar combination, YOU COULD BE GREAT!

almost forgot....
a warm welcome from sunny california
-gg

artbot

that's it! i'm going to the next electrician industry trade show! i am putting out a warning to alllll veteran electricians. that wherever i go to make electricity stuff and do the wiring plugs and whatever ..

... let the clock cleaning BEGIN!!!

TwoNine

Artbot - see ya there!

Plus - I wanted to show you a little of my masterful electrical skill knowledge. What you see here is referred to as a WIRENUT special....I do believe I will now venture into designing mother boards. Can't be too much more difficult.

Look out electrical electricity voltage hertz. Here. I. Come.

Over.

s101wire.jpg

CheapVehicleWrap

that's it! i'm going to the next electrician industry trade show! i am putting out a warning to alllll veteran electricians. that wherever i go to make electricity stuff and do the wiring plugs and whatever ..

... let the clock cleaning BEGIN!!!

Look out Doc & Marty!

Artbot's in the house!

artbot

@twonine ha!

i had to wire up these quartz ceramic IR heating panels yesterday (240v , 40 amps). i just kept rearranging the wires until i quit seeing and hearing pops and smoke. third time's a charm!

Pat Whatley

I wish you people would stop being such buttheads about this. You know how valuable it would be to have an electrician participating here?

TwoNine

Yeah Artbot...You're taking it too far. :Big Laugh

Besides - how hard could those panels have been? Well - with all your knowledge about printers and all? After all - they are just colored wires. Very, very similar to colored inks....Very similar. Just needed to hook up the CY (Green) to ground. M is close enough to red, so there's your hot wire - and all you have left is K (which won't work) - just make sure to hook up the 0%K wire to the neutral and you'll be okay.

Easy.

Plus - I'm sure there are plenty of people who know something about electricity on here. If not - I'll just go to electrial101.com and ask around. There can't be anything too difficult about electricity....

shakey0818

No Chris. We weed out end users and spammers. We welcome folks of all experience levels, including none, who express an interest in earning all or part of their livings as professional sign makers. The OP has done that and has been accepted as a Signs 101 member.

:goodpost:

artbot

what i like most about messing with electricity was the effort. the electricity practically did all the work! i was like... put this here, put that there???

as easy and effortless as it is to make a giant sign for a picky prestigious corporation... this was even easier!

i'm in the wroooong business.

hi Wirenut,

Welcome. We do a lot of signage in your area. I've noticed a large shop local to you on route 309, Interstate Graphics if you decide to look into the apprenticeship idea.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
The guys are being sarcastic, but it's the truth. You saying you have an old laptop and want to buy a printer is the exact same as saying I have tool belt and would love to buy a utility truck to become an electrician.

It's okay to be green. Just understand that a lot of the older guys take offense to anyone insinuating that the sign industry is as simple as buying a laptop and a printer.

If you have the money to start. Wait on it, go work at a shop and get some real experience. I guarantee you it's not what you expect. It might be better than you expect. However, you should find that out on someone else's dime. Not by wasting a ton of your own money and whoring out the market while you figure what the hell you're doing.

Couldn't say this better.

But I do recommend you buy a ton of equipment so when you go out of business in 4 months from your payments eating you alive and the constant cost of supplies having to be bled out like a stuck pig ... you can make a real shop who knows how to do the job really happy by selling the printer below market value just to recoup some of your losses.

Every one looking for a quick buck in an 'easy' job should dump out 10-30k on equipment they don't know how to use while trying to learn the design game when they don't have a ball to play with.

Mosh

I see a HUGE market for electric work in the sign trade. I drive around at night and see TONS of signs needing lights replaced/repaired. Seriously, this is a part you would be perfect at. Seriously, get a ladder truck and with electic experiance you could cash in. Something you could do right off with no learning curve....unless you have to untension a flex face....not to hard unless it is windy.