• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flash on iPad's and iPhones?

2B

Got Steve out of the big boy chair and all sorts of craziness is happening

qmr55

Flash :rolleyes:

Why don't these developers just give up on the old technology and start coding in HTML5!

Open your eyes, flash is on the way out! :thumb:

Locals Find!

HTML5 is still relatively new, which means it can only get better. Flash is OLD....

Click here

HTML 5 has been out for a while now. While it has its uses. Saying its going to totally replace flash is the same line of thinking when Unix (the source code of Linux) became popular and everyone said its going to replace windows. Didn't happen. HTML 5 has its uses and so does flash. Every web designer & programmer who has been around a while knows that your not going to totally replace something as embedded into the internet world as Flash is. HTML 5 is just one more tool in the toolbox. Its no magic do all end all code set.

TheSnowman

My favorite was when Verizon bashed the iPhone for two years saying how terrible it was, then started carrying it. Open mouth, insert foot.

Joe Diaz

HTML 5 has its uses and so does flash. Every web designer & programmer who has been around a while knows that your not going to totally replace something as embedded into the internet world as Flash is.
And that's just the thing. Every Mac Fanboy seems to think that just because they read one of Steve Job's letters, that automatically makes them experts on internet trends.

HTML5 is still relatively new, which means it can only get better. Flash is OLD....
Chances are HTML5 will get better. You are right. Will it get better than Flash (or can it keep up) is the question. I simply believe that both will find a place and coexist.

But the fact is right now, HTML5 cannot do all the things Flash can do. AND Flash isn't just how multimedia is embedded into a website. It isn't just the plugin. It's an entire system, including a fantastic set of tools for creating and editing that content. THAT is really were flash excels and has yet to be touched. People that don't create this type of multimedia don't realize this. They just take Steve's word for it. "iPad good." "Flash bad."

HTML5 might get there, but when is the big question. Flash is "OLD", but that is also working in it's favor because it has had years and years to develop into what it is today.... and it is soo much more than what it was all those years ago. To think that it won't "get better" too, is naive. History shows that it has. This new development is further proof.

Got Steve out of the big boy chair and all sorts of craziness is happening
This has nothing to do with Steve stepping down. This isn't an Apple breakthrough, this is Adobe's doing.

I'm looking forward to this move. It may not only be good for ipad owners but also for everyone. We'll see. It's hard to say. Now watch, iOS 5 is supposed to come out this fall. Wouldn't it just tick you off if you were Adobe and iOS 5 came out with flash support? :ROFLMAO:

Sideshow

All it says is flash server will allow for iOS encoding for playback.

From what I have been working on with the new program does not mean "flash" is going to work as a whole on iOS, it means that NEW developers using server will be able to encode their flash media in a iOS playable format.

Custom_Grafx

Apple's motto as you enter the board room, in cast bronze, in english, latin, german, greek and french...

"Divide and Conquer".

They do this all the time... create controversy, then give them what they expect anyway.

Must be the new way of giving consumers what they want when they already have everything they need, and more.

Take it away from them, then give it back. Ingenious, if I do say so myself.

Techman

All it means is that content servers may begin hosting two formats now. I don't believe they will want to do that in many cases.

It also means that only big mega servers will even want to look at this product.

2B

This has nothing to do with Steve stepping down. This isn't an Apple breakthrough, this is Adobe's doing.

While what you point out has validity to it, especially in regards to adobe updating how flash works. Having Steve step down WAS THE FINAL STRAW that will allow ios to take another look at the functionality of this new flash

Steve has been against flash for YEARS

"Steve Jobs has defended Apple's decision not to allow Adobe's Flash technology on the iPhone, iPod and iPad -"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/apr/29/steve-jobs-flash-ipad-letter-dead

Joe Diaz

While what you point out has validity to it, especially in regards to adobe updating how flash works. Having Steve step down WAS THE FINAL STRAW that will allow ios to take another look at the functionality of this new flash

Steve has been against flash for YEARS

I know Steve's track record on flash. But, iOS isn't taking another look at the functionality of flash. At least not yet. This is a change adobe has made. Really it's not even a change, more of an additional option. Even if this does catch on, I don't think every flash content on the web will automatically change over. The iPad and the iPhone still won't be able to view close to 100% of the internet until they make sure there product is fully compatible with all the different popular forms of online content.