• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Flexi 10 settings

Alicia Zee

Hi. I'm very much a novice with computer graphics in general and am pulling me hair out on a weird little glitch I'm having with Flexi 10: Whenever a vector file has a curved line(like an 'O', etc.) Flexi instead, draws multiple straight lines(between anchor nodes). I first thought it might be a firmware issue but then realized that this doesn't happen when sending files to my plotter with Illustrator. It's probably just a simple setting that I'm overlooking, but it's now holding up 3 jobs and so I'm hoping someone here might have a pro-tip that will sort me out.

If it's any help, I'm using
Flexi 10(with Windows 8 driver)
Windows 10
Roland Camm-1 Pro, GX300

Thanks!
Alicia

FrankW

Are the files been illustrator-files too? I dont think so. The symptoms you describe are typical for special file types.

Alicia Zee

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your thoughts on this ~ though I'm not 100% sure I'm understanding your question correctly :/

This has happened with about 7 different client-provided vector files that I've tried sending to the plotter via Flexi, including ai, pdf, and eps files, as well as when I've tried creating a new file within Flexi. Each time, when it's supposed to draw a curved line it is instead, drawing straight lines between anchors points :/

Alicia Zee

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your thoughts on this ~ I just sent a lengthy reply, but it seems to have gotten lost in transmission :/

So ~ if I'm understanding your question correctly ~ I've so far had the same issue with about 7 different, client-provided files, including ai, pdf, and eps files, as well as when I've tried to create a new(letter) file within Flexi. Each time any line that should be drawn as a curve is represented as several straight lines between anchor points.

I would attach a picture of what I'm talking about...if I could figure out how to :/

Joe House

Sign Equipment Technician
This is probably coming from the program that is creating the files. If you were to create the same file in Flexi, it would give you smooth Bezier curves (assuming you're using a good font). I've seen this happen (though not recently) coming from cad programs (like autocad) that are oriented towards mechanical drawing rather than Design focused programs (such as Flexi, AI, Corel, etc)

Alicia Zee

Ah... I figured out how to attach a picture... and also that the first message was, in fact, posted :/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 3.54.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 3.54.04 PM.png
    394.4 KB · Views: 270

Alicia Zee

This is probably coming from the program that is creating the files. If you were to create the same file in Flexi, it would give you smooth Bezier curves (assuming you're using a good font). I've seen this happen (though not recently) coming from cad programs (like autocad) that are oriented towards mechanical drawing rather than Design focused programs (such as Flexi, AI, Corel, etc)

Hi Joe,

Alas, this is happening with most of the commonly used files: ai; eps; pdf, *as well as* when creating a file in Flexi. The image below was created within Flexi, using the font Agreloy;

Attachments

• 20180917_153814.jpg
    20180917_153814.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 243

Snydo

Sounds like you have a hidden mask of some sort which you are bringing into flexi.....flexi isnt particularly fond of masks created in other software. Try flattening the image in source program.

Oops nevermind, just saw your most recent post.

Last edited:

Alicia Zee

Sounds like you have a hidden mask of some sort which you are bringing into flexi.....flexi isnt particularly fond of masks created in other software. Try flattening the image in source program.

Hi Snydo,

Thanks for your input on this. Could this also happen when creating a new file with Flexi, or only when importing a file to Flexi?

Sorry...I am very new to using Flexi, so know nothing of these masks of which you speak :/

Thanks,
Alicia

Joe House

Something's not right there. Here's what I get with Agreloy.ttf:
upload_2018-9-17_16-10-42.png

I happen to be using Flexi Sign and Print 12, but I would have expected the same thing from v10. You could try loading the factory defaults in the Preference manager and see if that solves your problem. - Be aware that this will remove your devices and any jobs that are saved in Production Manager, so don't do this till you can make notes of the connections of your devices and you're done with any jobs that might still be in the queue.

Joe

Alicia Zee

Hi Joe,

The first part of your sentence is cut off... could you re-post or edit your reply? I don't want to risk trying to extrapolate and then perhaps make things worse :(

Thanks,
Alicia

Alicia Zee

So, I set all preferences to 'Restore Defaults' in the following tabs:
General
File Paths
Font
Tools

I then created a three-letter file using the Algeroy font. Sadly, it's still doing the same thing when sent to the plotter :'(

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 4.59.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 4.59.38 PM.png
    397.2 KB · Views: 242

Allen123

Alicia,
First just try a simple Cut/Paste. Don't know why, but a lot of times it makes a difference. I don't know why. Also convert fonts to shapes/outlines, and resave. Then open and see if there's any difference.
Good Luck!!!!

Joe House

So, I set all preferences to 'Restore Defaults' in the following tabs:
General
File Paths
Font
Tools

I then created a three-letter file using the Algeroy font. Sadly, it's still doing the same thing when sent to the plotter :'(

Alicia,
Close Flexi and Production Manager then go to the Start Menu and SAi and click on the Preferences Manager. Select Factory Defaults and click on load. This will essentially reset Flexi to where it was when it was first installed.

mark galoob

i have a couple of thoughts, and im using flexi 11
1. if your files are coming from ai, flexi does not play well with ai files...the file will have to be flattened on the customers side.
2. i was thinking you could remove the nodes, but you might have to re shape the curves using the curve tool in the path edit toolbar.
3. you might be able to turn the file into a bitmap in flexi, then turn it back into a vector and flexi will sometimes read that better.

m

Alicia Zee

Alicia,
Close Flexi and Production Manager then go to the Start Menu and SAi and click on the Preferences Manager. Select Factory Defaults and click on load. This will essentially reset Flexi to where it was when it was first installed.

Hi Joe, I just went through the steps you suggested, then even restarted both computer and Flexi before trying again ~ same thing. I'm not even trying to open an external file, but simply creating a new file, typing in a letter and then sending it to the plotter.

I'm now considering upgrading to Flexi 12 to see if this might help, but I've been warned that this could run a bit slower on the computer I have. Though at this point, slow would be 100% better than not working at all. That said, there's no way of knowing if that would even solve the problem.

I've already had to pay FastSigns nearly $400 to plot patterns for me at $120 each ~ money I'd much rather have paid to someone to figure this out, but I haven't been able to find anyone locally who knows enough about both plotters and Flexi. The only other option I can think of is to try to convince all my customers to change their business names to ones that contain no curved letters or logos :'(

Attachments

• Flexi test O.jpg
    Flexi test O.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 224

Alicia Zee

i have a couple of thoughts, and im using flexi 11
1. if your files are coming from ai, flexi does not play well with ai files...the file will have to be flattened on the customers side.
2. i was thinking you could remove the nodes, but you might have to re shape the curves using the curve tool in the path edit toolbar.
3. you might be able to turn the file into a bitmap in flexi, then turn it back into a vector and flexi will sometimes read that better.

m

Thanks for your input, Night Eagle. Do you think these solutions might also apply when creating a new file within Flexi? Besides this issue happening with ai files, I'm having the same thing with eps and/or pdf files ~ as well as when simply creating a new file in Flexi,. I.e: typing in a (wireframe)letter and then sending it to the plotter.

I just spoke with a friend in NC who has nearly the same plotter as me ~ he has a GX24, I have a GX300 ~ and is also using Flexi 10 with no issues. I'm beginning to think that it might be an incorrect driver or another compatibility issue. I was told by Roland that a Windows 8 driver would work with Windows 10, but I'm now wondering if this might be the problem ~ in which case, perhaps I need to either downgrade my Windows or upgrade my Flexi :confused:

Attachments

• Flexi test O.jpg
    Flexi test O.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 213