• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi 19 color problems

mattc5900

Has anyone had issues with the new Flexi 19 colors printed are all off slightly.. I have created allot custom colors that print as they should out of the older version of Flexi but the newer (Flexi 19) seems like all colors have shifted and some allot. All setting are the same between versions. Any ideas much appreciated.

Evan Gillette

This was mentioned a by a few people in another thread, https://signs101.com/threads/anyone-update-to-19-yet.153571/

I would expect that it has something to do with the new 64 bit rip but I am not sure. I haven't heard from anyone who has discussed it with SAI, they are usually pretty good for troubleshooting and offering at least temporary solutions. If it is a common issue (which I think it is) then I would hope they have some suggestions.

mattc5900

This was mentioned a by a few people in another thread, https://signs101.com/threads/anyone-update-to-19-yet.153571/

I would expect that it has something to do with the new 64 bit rip but I am not sure. I haven't heard from anyone who has discussed it with SAI, they are usually pretty good for troubleshooting and offering at least temporary solutions. If it is a common issue (which I think it is) then I would hope they have some suggestions.
Thank you for the reply... I'm just going to use Flexi12 until hopefully something is figured out.. I have a client that is from the automotive world and can see colors very well and wants things to match for his projects. Right now there is no way i can use the new version with the colors that have been created are so off. Again thank you for the reply.. If i happen to run across anything on my end.. I'll update what i see

Evan Gillette

That is what everyone I have talked to has done. Without offering updated generic profiles I don't see how they expect people to upgrade. I haven't looked yet but I doubt any manufacturers (media or printer) have profiles available yet. We updated our design subscription to 19 but are leaving our production setup at 12 for now. We do not have profiling equipment and rely on generic profiles along with a few custom defined colors like you.

FrankW

They have changed the RIP Engine not only from 32 to 64 bits, but the vendor too. And for licensing reasons, they need to quit with the dithering method "SO Diffusion", what could be the main reason for slight color deviations.

FrankW

Without offering updated generic profiles I don't see how they expect people to upgrade.

A lot of people do own profiles. This is anyway the best way for color consistency. Even with variations because of production lots of your media, you can run into color trouble.

TomK

They have changed the RIP Engine not only from 32 to 64 bits, but the vendor too. And for licensing reasons, they need to quit with the dithering method "SO Diffusion", what could be the main reason for slight color deviations.

Funny, I ran into and still have problems with Flexi 19 and my Aqueous Canon fleet (inverting white/black on prints) - and they told me they are moving away from SO Diffusion since the rest of the industry was moving away from it.

TomK

Oh, there's also a lot of chatter on the Flexi FB group about bugs with contour cutting and Flexi 19, I think it was confirmed by Mark Rugen, but I haven't kept updated on it.

FrankW

Funny, I ran into and still have problems with Flexi 19 and my Aqueous Canon fleet (inverting white/black on prints) - and they told me they are moving away from SO Diffusion since the rest of the industry was moving away from it.

Could be too. Someone in europe told me something about licensing after moving to another rip engine manufacturer.

TomK

TomK what is the facebook group address? Thanks

I cant get into the sign elements page after downloading 19
The group is called "Flexi Software sign users" - everyone is complaining about Flexi 19, from colors sucking, contour cutting issues, profiles having to be redone, etc.

I personally kept version 12 on the computer and use that for my cutting/printing, and use 19 for edits only.

You'd think they are big enough to QA this stuff before releasing it. Sure, I expect edge cases and bugs in complicated software, but in my case - all they had to do was print a simple/single image or use their job tool to load the .job file and they would have seen the rip was causing color inversion.

Guess when you have little to no competition (design/cut/print suite) you get lazy.

WildWestDesigns

The group is called "Flexi Software sign users" - everyone is complaining about Flexi 19, from colors sucking, contour cutting issues, profiles having to be redone, etc.

Flexi 19 from what I've been reading is a huge release. With any huge release, there are going to be issues. No matter how many times they do an internal QA on it, there are bugs/hiccups to be found.

Really, things have to be "out in the wild" with people putting it through their normal workflow for these issue to arise.

I know I'm a bit of a broken record around here, but this is why don't want to be "bleeding edge" or if "you" are going to be, be aware that comes with risks.

You'd think they are big enough to QA this stuff before releasing it.

It's more about user base then it is anything else, as it's the users and their workflows that discover things. However, keep in mind, Flexi isn't as big as MS and just think of all the issues that MS has with every new release (I used to have sympathy for that, but once being "bleeding edge" is forced, sympathy is no more). They don't have an internal QA anymore, it's all user based, all of it. I wouldn't be surprised if Flexi is that way out of necessity.

Guess when you have little to no competition (design/cut/print suite) you get lazy.

Sure, some of that is there as well. But keep in mind, with all software, it's sold/distributed "as is" and no warranty is given, even warranty for suitability for a particular purpose (that ironically includes the purpose for which it was designed). But having less competition really makes it easy to slide down.

Saturn

Aging Member
So if the default/best quality dither is no longer SO Diffusion, what are they putting it in it's place?

I have been creating numerous profiles using Flexi 19 without achieving the quality (and speed) of SO Diffusion. Are converted profiles something unique? I assumed they would be Error Diffusion... ?

Saturn

Aging Member
So if the default/best quality dither is no longer SO Diffusion, what are they putting it in it's place?

I have been creating numerous profiles using Flexi 19 without achieving the quality (and speed) of SO Diffusion. Are converted profiles something unique? I assumed they would be Error Diffusion... ?

To answer my own question, it looks like Enhanced Stochastic is the best option going forward into Flexi 19. It solves many of the issues I was having with the various dithers, and it also is an an option in all three of the various Flexi RIPs I have access to—The Sign Warehouse branded LXi RIP 12, Flexi 12 (Sub), and Flexi 19.

So long as you can create your own ICC Profiles in the wizard it seems to be as good or better than SO Diffusion which is what a lot of the default/manufacturer profiles were created as.

Last edited: