• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

flexi pro 8.1 questions - total noob

sarge

I know i am new here .. just not brand new .. i do believe in rtfm rule of instruction .. i dont believe in bad mouthing this guy .. i can relate to him as i am sure most of us here can .. we started someplace and I wished someone could have help me .. when i started i didnt have these tools .. computers were rather new .. i applaud this guy in trying something new .. i squint at spending the money he did .. but i remember when i bought my first computer in early 92 .. and kickbut 486-33 w/math co-processor and 4 megs of ram .. this was over $3K .. my buds said i was stupid and wtf was i going to do with this .. point is .. lets help him for what it is .. and be proud that we did .. i have been bullied because my business is in my home .. i have a farm with a big home .. after my 4 kids moved what do i do with the space .. we all have our stories why we do what we do

OneUpTenn

Okay Settle down folks. The OP was just asking the best place to get help. He didn't even ask a single specific question. So let's back off this guy.

Flexi sux. The manual is as worthless as a rat. The help menu online is even more worthless. So use photoshop and then use Flexi to cut.

LongBeach..I believe the reason people jumped on you so bad was because so so many times people come on here and ask a question before they even lift a finger to find the answer. I don't believe that is the case with you, however, do some research on this forum and you will find some of the dumbest laziest questions asked by newcomers and I guess just the nerve of those people can bring out the worst in anybody.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Longbeach...as a noob, why on earth did you buy the most expensive, top grade latest version of flexi, with no knowledge of it's working, then make a statement that some training videos which might cost 5% of the price of flexi, were too expensive.
That is what is 'perplexing' those of us who could answer your questions.

You could have bought Corel X3 & Co Cut and saved several thousand $. If you'd researched the topic, there have been many former posts & threads on software here.

On the other hand, perhaps you picked up an ebay 'steal' of cheap nonlegit software, and a cheap plotter, and are out to undercut the professionals & ruin the trade for those of us who rely on it for a living, and who've made the study of the craft our life's ambition...

That is the fear we have here...nobody likes to have their business undermined.

Vinylman

I am going to jump back in here to "re"ask a question that has NOT been answered yet by LongBeachCoupe.

"If this program is a legal dongle version from a merchant, why are you buying this and not DEMANDING training as part of the deal?"

IS this a legal dongle version of Flexisign?

And as to johnny_loves_amy:

You came rather late to the party here. This thread was started over 31/2 months ago, and most of the remarks you have made where addressed by others on this forum who clearly READ, and understood my original post.

You CLEARLY DIDN'T.

I have been a Letterhead for many years. I give back to this community, as well as a number of other forums without ANY reservations. I have attended several Letterhead meets and showed numerous people every trick or tip I have ever learned without charging anyone a dime.

And as an aside, I have put on quite a few seminars over several years teaching these very same ideas to hundreds of people, again for $0.00.

One of the problems I have at my advanced age is the people like LongBeachCoupe, and perhaps yourself, is that to quote LongBeachCoupe," I am starting it as a hobby (not that im taking it lightly, its just that i am doing this out of genuine interest in making custom work) and if i am lucky enough to be able to amass enough business that it is worth full time, so be it."

Well!, I don't need to apologize for the fact that this IS NOT A HOBBY for me.

I earn my full time income from sign work. Many others here are also doing this FULL TIME.
We don't have the luxury of pretending to be a sign writer, and if it doesn't work? Oh WELL!

Last edited:

muzzy56

At the end of the Day it is not our Concern if its a legal copy of flexi or not the dude is asking for help (unless your a reseller) flexi has all help files built into its software as well as tips as for asking advise from reseller they know as much about the software as they have been shown I have been with Flexi since ver 3.5 and use it every day as well as other softwares mine are legal but when i started many moons ago i started with corel
what a pain.... anyway i am sure any help he needs i think we can be big enough to help
ps you can buy after market books on flexi as well as buying them on ebay
Alan

iSign

at the end of the day, it IS our concern... we all know illegal bootlegs of this sort of software are out there... and for all the people who think buying expensive sign software is foolish & Corel is the bomb... I'm sorry, but you are in a little side tangent of reality & not aware of everyone elses needs... so don't be so quick to post misguided personal perspectives. Remember, cutting vinyl is no longer the only thing sign folks do with their computers. Anyway, people bitch about the price of software written specifically for our little niche industry, NOT for the mass consumption of desktop publishing, of home scrapbooking tc... and this expensive software gets MORE expensive when bootleg software is tolerated.

I'm not in support of badgering someone about how they made their purchase, but his story does lend itself to suspicion, because of the hobby position stated, and the aversion to paying for training.

The notion that one can DEMAND software training from a vendor is another misguided theory... equipment training is another thing... but the amount of software support one should typically expect is limited to specific inquiries during the initial set-up phase.... and ust like asking for questions here... yeah, some of us seem greedy to the new guys.... wanna know why? well, what do you think are in those thousands of posts next to our names? ...usually many many repetitious efforts to help other sign folks spread out over the last 5 or 10 years... so some of us pick and choose who we waste time on... a guy who says, I'm cutting or printing this type of file, I've set up my machine this way, and when I first encountered that result, I did a search, learned these setting adjustments, did some troubleshooting & now my results are this, my suspicions are that & my intentions are so & so... before I proceed, I wonder if I'm missing anything... Now, that's a guy who is going to command qualified help, both from his reseller, the software manufacturer, or any of us stingy old sign hacks...

guys who say "how does it work?" ...we're saving those guys for you noobs to help!

iSign

well Ian ;)
we both know I am even more of a router noob than you, by at least a month...

...but regarding my Corel comment, which although I didn't name you, because it is a frequent post that bashes the foolishness of anyone buying Flexi... I suppose you may have taken my comments personal, and the corel portion was in fact inspired by your post, if not specifically addressed at you...

...but for printing, Flexi (which sat unused on my shelf for 3 years prior... having bought it for $1200 as a crossgrade available to casmate owners back in the day) has served me well for a rip program, that also allows easy importing of image files & vector files from Adoble, as well as most other sign software packages, & of course includes all the tools needed to combine print/cut files, or create them, and output them as well. If corel can do that, I was not aware of that.

Anyway, I just wanted to explain that because while I meant no offense, I don't always word things well enough to be sure things get taken the way I meant. Anyway, we are both still noobs at some things, so I guess we won't become know-it-all signs gods quite as quick now :Big Laugh