• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Food Bank sign destroyed

first of all bummer.

most businesses insurance in my experience will cover this type of damage if the dollar amount is under $2000 most businesses in my experience don't ad their signs to their policy specifically until something like this happens..

because of having this same thing happen to me in the past even if the sign is double sided i will 'sandwich' 2 pieces of hdu to a substrate with more integrity as far as 'snapping' is concerned that way if some ding dong runs into it they might make a dent but they wont snap it.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Sorry I didnt know it was a donated sign, man I totally feel bad for you now. I hope your able to incorporate something that may hurt the next kid that tries that crap.

signmeup

Dan, I doubt the food bank has insurance for anything like this. They rent the premises. I went cheap and it bit me on the a$$. I really didn't think anyone would do this because of what the sign was for. Don't know what fairy tale I was living it. Grave markers get destroyed around here too.... nothing is sacred. Oh well.... I'll just fix it and hope it doesn't happen again. I'll see if the town will go good for a stone flower bed. That might help.

Pat Whatley

Say the sign is worth $1500.

Put a $500 reward for the name of who did it sign up there. No little shit did that without his buddies watching and you know they told their friends. Somebody will cough up the name.

Get the kid arrested, make the parents pay the replacement cost, fix the old sign, use the remaining money to build the base.

signmeup

OK....just for the record....I do not have any intention of repairing this sign so that it may hurt someone even if they are destroying it. If anyone gets hurt over the destruction of my property I would prefer to do the hurtin' personally.

signmeup

I appreciate the idea Pat....but now you're living in a fairy tale. Parents of delinquents are not required to repair the damage their little sh*ts cause.

signmeup you say you 'doubt' that they have insurance. it might not hurt to ask. it was a very nice kind thing of you to donate a project of that nature and quality i would add and i can't imagine anyone that was given something of that magnitude feeling good about you having to redo it for free (if you should choose to do that...but knowing you i am sure you will cause you're a giving person)

if this food bank sends out a newsletter or something maybe you could get them to mention the situation and possibly get a little exposure that way.

just a few ideas. again bummer. i have had good success repairing broken hdu signs and letters so hopefully you wont have to spring for a new sheet of hdu.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
I'll just fix it and hope it doesn't happen again.

it'll happen again, probably by the same kid.

beautiful sign, but i would never in a million years have built it like that.

donation or not, you have to buid it right. this is exactly why you don't make a sign without a backbone......

signmeup

it'll happen again, probably by the same kid.

beautiful sign, but i would never in a million years have built it like that.

donation or not, you have to buid it right. this is exactly why you don't make a sign without a backbone......
Once it has a backbone what will stop little Johnny from hacking the faces with a hatchet?

Baz

I think i speak for all of us in saying how infuriating this is! You know it's just one dumbass kid who will look to destroy it again once the new one is up.

Out of all the things we can think of to prevent this. ie: hole in the ground with spikes, bear trap, camping out with a shotgun, installing security cameras, tying up a guard dog to the post, maybee some IED's in the flower bed?

If it is possible. Try talking to some of the local teenagers and just mention how this organization helps their community and maybee if they know who did it or hear about it they could help spread the message. I still believe there are some good kids left in the world.

This really sucks!

Dan Antonelli

If its a rental, they're required to carry some type of insurance. Whether it covers the sign, is another story.

Really sad. We do a lot of charity too, for good causes - but usually web sites and the like . Guess its harder to vandalize them.

Maybe you can get the newspaper to report on this (the fact that it is donated, then vandalized makes it newsworthy). Perhaps, something good can come of it - like a little good PR for your efforts.

Baz

I'm ass-u-ming ... I know its not good to be prejudiced. But from my 21 years experience. You're looking at 14 to 21 year old mentality. I'll stand by my comment and if i'm proved wrong i'll eat my own words and appologize.

ProWraps

the only reason i asked is because i know some pretty stupid adults. and if it was an adult, it may be easier to recoup damages if caught. in todays world, stupidity comes in all ages.

Billct2

Maybe back up the HDU panel with 3/4" MDO to provide strength to prevent this from happening.
I assumed that wasn't an option since it apperas to be a double sided sign.
I do not have any intention of repairing this sign so that it may hurt someone even if they are destroying it
Well I wasn't saying booby trap to hurt someone on purpose, just make it sturdy enough that it won't snap like a twig as it just did.
We had a set of electric ground signs that the local college kids got a kick out of body slamming the faces on their way home from the bar. We replaced the faces with lexan, then they wouldn't break but would still push them in and shatter the lamps. So we beefed up the retainers inside and out, and added lexan bars in a few spots in the middle. So far that has held, and I hope the first idiot that tried slamming or kicking it was mighty sore the next day.

signmeup

Up here even if they kill someone and they are under 18 they get 3 years in youth jail and then they are released with no criminal record and no one is allowed to publish their name. It's called "the young offenders act".

Flame

I'd be willing to bet it was a kid... a lot of them just need to learn that for every action, there CAN be a consequence, and it's not always pretty.

Everythings so safe now that they really don't get it, and think they can get away with murder.

signmeup

I'd be willing to bet it was a kid... a lot of them just need to learn that for every action, there CAN be a consequence, and it's not always pretty.

Everythings so safe now that they really don't get it, and think they can get away with murder.
See post #38