• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Food Bank sign destroyed

wes70

I see that kind of sh*t almost every week, but it's usually street / parking signs. It's a shame that a beautiful sign, such as this one, was vandalized. What makes it even worse is the fact that it was donated to a deserving volunteer organization!

mrchips

What a shame to see such a beautiful sign and an even more beautiful gesture, on your part to make this donation, come to this end!

A suggestion for the repair and strengthing......after glue-up, route a 1/4" slot where the gold line is now in the center and another under the bottom line and glue in a strip of steel bar stock.......set the slot so that a portion of the bar is raised above the surface and then treat it as an underline. If they try it again, it's gonna hurt but it won't really hurt them and the sign will stray together.
BTW, looks like there wasn't any cement in the holes.....that could help too.

Just an idea.....................

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

signmeup

I think I'll make a second panel and put a steel frame in between the two panels like I should have in the beginning. I can reuse the apple from the other side. It won't take all that long(moan). I also think a piece of square steel tubing between the posts at just below knee height would be a good idea.....flat black of course.....and rotated 45 degrees.

TheSnowman

Get that guy from KickedInTheNuts.com to sit there, and then he can kick them when they least expect it...get famous, and get payback at the same time. All joking aside though, horrible situation. Hopefully there is some kind of insurance option here...people that have nothing nice at all and have never worked hard to get anything have no concept of what things are worth, cost or time. They think that if they can't have it, neither should anyone else, so they just trash it.

BobM

You could carefull route a slot in the top and bottom edges and epoxy in a piece of
1/4" X 1-1/2" flat stock to strengthen it. Perhaps an article in the local newspaper to cronicle the volunteer work it took to create the sign as well as the repair effort.

JimJenson

Call the local newspaper. Would make a great story.
It would raise public interest (and donations) for the food bank and maybe catch the rat.

Deaton Design

Local Food Bank Sign destroyed by vandals!
Thats what needs to be in the local paper, with a story about how you donated the sign on your own and the good work the food bank does. Possibly, someone would come forward and say who did it. But I would repair it, cause its a beautiful sign, and very well done, and it was done for a good reason. Add something to it as you mentioned before, to make it stronger and harder to damage. The more noise they make if they do it the next time, they will be caught red handed. Really sorry man...

slappy

wow! people are freaking a-holes. Sorry about the sign, it was very nice and i remember you just did this. I'd send a picture in to the local newspaper and catch the bastard or at least make him feel guilty. A nice story with how it was donated.. the purpose of the food bank and how it is probably struggling to get donations with the economy the way it is.. You got a winner of a story and publicity there. Maybe even an award since you think it was a kid. $150 might make someone rat out a friend for some dough...

JR's

:thumb::thumb:
Local Food Bank Sign destroyed by vandals!
Thats what needs to be in the local paper, with a story about how you donated the sign on your own and the good work the food bank does. Possibly, someone would come forward and say who did it. But I would repair it, cause its a beautiful sign, and very well done, and it was done for a good reason. Add something to it as you mentioned before, to make it stronger and harder to damage. The more noise they make if they do it the next time, they will be caught red handed. Really sorry man...

wow! people are freaking a-holes. Sorry about the sign, it was very nice and i remember you just did this. I'd send a picture in to the local newspaper and catch the bastard or at least make him feel guilty. A nice story with how it was donated.. the purpose of the food bank and how it is probably struggling to get donations with the economy the way it is.. You got a winner of a story and publicity there. Maybe even an award since you think it was a kid. $150 might make someone rat out a friend for some dough...
________________slapakiss__

JR

skyhigh

Once it has a backbone what will stop little Johnny from hacking the faces with a hatchet?
That really sucks!!! Such a beautiful sign.

But you are right...if they can't break it, they will carve it with their pocket knife, or take a can of spray paint to it. If they want to vandalize something, there are endless ways of doing it.

This does look like an easy fix though (compared to hacked up with a pocket knife). I don't subscribe to the thoughts of causing personal injury (except for the parents beating their ass, if caught), but I do like Pats idea of jaggery bushes for landscaping. If it were me, I would do a 3/4 MDO as a replacement, then fix that sign and use it on their building (single sided).

JoySigns

I think planting a landscape bed around it is a very good idea. Especially if you incorporate some thorny low growing shrubs around it, barberry works well around here as a detterent.
This is a beautiful sign, I hope the repair goes smoothly.

DGDesigns

I literally just received an e-mail from the local historical society that the dimensional sign with a hand made hanger I just installed is now "dangling" by one attachment. It's near a bad part of town. I am assuming vandalism as well. I may be in the same boat as you. I am going to check it out. Let's face it...stupid people still exist.

signmeup

That really sucks!!! Such a beautiful sign.

But you are right...if they can't break it, they will carve it with their pocket knife, or take a can of spray paint to it. If they want to vandalize something, there are endless ways of doing it.

This does look like an easy fix though (compared to hacked up with a pocket knife). I don't subscribe to the thoughts of causing personal injury (except for the parents beating their ass, if caught), but I do like Pats idea of jaggery bushes for landscaping. If it were me, I would do a 3/4 MDO as a replacement, then fix that sign and use it on their building (single sided).
That's not a bad idea skyhigh. I'll look into it. The building sign is worse than the street sign they had. It just wasn't visible from the street.

This post was a good idea as far as getting ideas of what to do. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

earplug

Call the local TV news folks to do a story on the vandalism. They really like this kind of human interest story. This can serve multiple purposes. One, it will get additional exposure for the Food Bank and maybe help with donations. Two, it will get you exposure for the good deed you did in donating the sign. Three, offer a small reward for the criminal. And four, possibly a Corporate Benefactor may step up and donate the replacement sign.

Jack

javila

I don't do dimensional signs, but shouldn't HDU signs be backed by something that won't snap easily? (aluminum sheet or something of that sort)?