• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Forget Tariffs, what about a Pandemic?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I see that the Corona virus is affecting a lot of business. I wonder how it will affect our industry - like vinyl and such that is manufactured in China. Will it affect availability? :eek:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
It's hitting close to home here. Tour groups from Asia are dropping off quickly. We are in a fairly closed ecosystem so it can be held off but once it gets in there will be no place to run and hide. This is a good time to have tight border security.

On the bright side, the weather here is great and there is no way I can ever be called to jury duty in Weinstein case....

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

ikarasu

What vinyl do you use from China?

By the time vinyl gets to you from China, the virus would be dead on it. It needs a host to stay Alive for longer than a few mins.

The scary part about the virus is it spreads for 1-2 weeks before you show symptoms. There was one case reported in my city... Then a few days later, 2... If our city follows how it spread in China, in a week it'll double... Two it'll quadruple... Then it'll just get out of hand. The bad part is the 2 week wait to see if it was contained or not.

My wife has a lot of family in China. They're on lock down.... Only one person allowed to leave the house at once. Streets are empty... Work is canceled, schools haven't been in session for weeks and they're saying it's going to be online classes in most areas now. China has shut down most of its business.... Hopefully it doesn't get that bad here.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
The 2019 Novel Coronavirus is not something to be taken lightly. It has the term "novel coronavirus" because doctors and scientists have never seen it before and do not know the total potential of what it can do. They do know the virus is very contagious.

The US stock market may be hitting new highs, but the effects of this virus could definitely do a great deal of damage to both the DJIA and NASDAQ if the virus continues to spread unabated. The Chinese stock market has already taken a serious hit from it. American consumer electronics companies and many other manufacturers have most of their products made in China and shipped here. The spread of this virus has the potential to disrupt that production.

In one respect I can understand complaints from some people who say this "crisis" is being over-blown by the media. By comparison the common flu affects 10-20 million or more Americans each year and kills tens of thousands. Roughly 80,000 Americans died of complications from Influenza (such as pneumonia) in the 2017-18 winter flu season, which was a four decade high.

But the thing is medical science has a lot of experience treating the common flu. They know what to expect from flu season. And they know when it generally ENDS. They try their best to educate the public about who is at most risk of dying or having a very expensive hospital stay due to the flu and ways how to reduce the risk of catching it. About 1% of Americans who catch the flu in the US end up going to the hospital; about .05% die from it. Doctors and scientists do not have a road map on how to handle this new coronavirus. They're in a race to try to understand its full picture, symptoms and severity.

The death toll from the 2019 Novel Coronavirus so far is pretty small. But the virus is still spreading pretty rapidly. It has already outdone the first SARS outbreak in 2003. And the proportion of deaths in relation to total cases is about 2%, which is definitely worse than the flu. Around 14% of people who contract this new "novel" virus end up with symptoms bad enough to require hospitalization. That's also a lot worse.

Jburns

This virus is very troubling. not to mention the tight lipped chinese government.
As for the political prisoners, if the virus lands in the re-education camps ( Uighurs? spelling) - -- just awful. In china - it could turn into edit- mass casualties.

upload_2020-2-5_23-1-54.png

Johnny Best

China to half tariffs on $75 billion on U.S. goods from February, It has to do with the virus because China might have to cancel orders if the outbreak gets a lot worse.

Reveal1

By the time vinyl gets to you from China, the virus would be dead on it. It needs a host to stay Alive for longer than a few mins.

The scary part about the virus is it spreads for 1-2 weeks before you show symptoms. There was one case reported in my city... Then a few days later, 2... If our city follows how it spread in China, in a week it'll double... Two it'll quadruple... Then it'll just get out of hand. The bad part is the 2 week wait to see if it was contained or not.

My wife has a lot of family in China. They're on lock down.... Only one person allowed to leave the house at once. Streets are empty... Work is canceled, schools haven't been in session for weeks and they're saying it's going to be online classes in most areas now. China has shut down most of its business.... Hopefully it doesn't get that bad here.

I think the point was how this will affect the global supply chain. But your wife's family situation illustrates what's really important. Prayers for her and family. Hopefully the China's government can get a handle on it, but they don't have a great humanitarian track-record, particularly in the areas outside the industrial centers.

Regarding the supply chain, I suspect more vinyl comes from China than we know. The words 'globally sourced components' usually include China.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
My wife is exploring teaching Chinese students how to speak English online. I told her computers can catch viruses pretty quickly so she needs to wear a face mask when videoing a session.

Reveal1

My wife is exploring teaching Chinese students how to speak English online. I told her computers can catch viruses pretty quickly so she needs to wear a face mask when videoing a session.

About as likely as those kids catching STD's from watching the Superbowl halftime show.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

I would venture to say, the gear she hasta wear to be around you would be M-O-R-E than enough to ward off any chinese virus. :wink:

Stacey K

I like making signs
I saw a few videos last week.The people quarantined are more concerned now about civil unrest as their 2 week food supply begins to dwindle and grocery store shelves aren't staying stocked like they were before.

I doubt we have to worry about the virus exploding here like it is in China, but just in case it does...rest assured, I've wasted hours and hours and hours watching zombie apocalypse movies and shows. The vast amount of survival knowledge I've gained over the years will come in handy. Everyone who laughed at me for never missing an episode of TWD won't be laughing when I bring Lucille to the grocery store...LOL

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 206

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"

The contagion did cross my mind, but I was mostly thinking about factories shutting down. My wild imagination at work I suppose, but what if all of China was shut down, all production. Like I said, I have a wild imagination, and this will come and go and be forgotten. Or.... :eek:

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Stacey K said:
I doubt we have to worry about the virus exploding here like it is in China, but just in case it does...rest assured, I've wasted hours and hours and hours watching zombie apocalypse movies and shows.

The US is not nearly as densely populated as China, but strains of Influenza A & B still manage to spread across this country pretty easily. That makes this new coronavirus a pretty serious threat.

I'm praying the bug burns itself out in what is now (hopefully) pretty isolated conditions. As of February 5 the total number of cases was still rising on a sharp tangent, 28,276. A week prior to that the total number was 7,815. There were only around 200 known cases on January 19 when the numbers really started spiking.

The vast majority of cases are in China for now. But it has spread in small numbers to 27 other countries. Officials in the US may do well at containing the spread, but other nations may not have the same resources and expertise.

TimToad

The 2019 Novel Coronavirus is not something to be taken lightly. It has the term "novel coronavirus" because doctors and scientists have never seen it before and do not know the total potential of what it can do. They do know the virus is very contagious.

The US stock market may be hitting new highs, but the effects of this virus could definitely do a great deal of damage to both the DJIA and NASDAQ if the virus continues to spread unabated. The Chinese stock market has already taken a serious hit from it. American consumer electronics companies and many other manufacturers have most of their products made in China and shipped here. The spread of this virus has the potential to disrupt that production.

In one respect I can understand complaints from some people who say this "crisis" is being over-blown by the media. By comparison the common flu affects 10-20 million or more Americans each year and kills tens of thousands. Roughly 80,000 Americans died of complications from Influenza (such as pneumonia) in the 2017-18 winter flu season, which was a four decade high.

But the thing is medical science has a lot of experience treating the common flu. They know what to expect from flu season. And they know when it generally ENDS. They try their best to educate the public about who is at most risk of dying or having a very expensive hospital stay due to the flu and ways how to reduce the risk of catching it. About 1% of Americans who catch the flu in the US end up going to the hospital; about .05% die from it. Doctors and scientists do not have a road map on how to handle this new coronavirus. They're in a race to try to understand its full picture, symptoms and severity.

The death toll from the 2019 Novel Coronavirus so far is pretty small. But the virus is still spreading pretty rapidly. It has already outdone the first SARS outbreak in 2003. And the proportion of deaths in relation to total cases is about 2%, which is definitely worse than the flu. Around 14% of people who contract this new "novel" virus end up with symptoms bad enough to require hospitalization. That's also a lot worse.

Your post was 25 days ago. The depth and spread of this virus as well as the broader impacts have risen exponentially as well as the obvious of the signals being sent that our "leadership" in Washington DC is completely out of touch with the threat or creating workable solutions.

Billct2

Yea, well now the stock market has been reacting and it's not good. I got a message from my magnet supplier that they may have shortages. You can't find a medical quality face mask anywhere. That isolated case in California that just happens to coincide with the arrival of US citizens from the affected area...and the lack of containment by the officials in charge. But it's all good, buy stock while it's low o_O

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Are any readers here seeing a slowdown in business? We're seeing a drop in clip art sales at the stock sites we deal with of about 50% during the last two weeks.