• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Forget Tariffs, what about a Pandemic?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
We just had our first death here in Washington. A 50 year old man in a convalescent care facility in Seattle.

decalman

What vinyl do you use from China?

By the time vinyl gets to you from China, the virus would be dead on it. It needs a host to stay Alive for longer than a few mins.

The scary part about the virus is it spreads for 1-2 weeks before you show symptoms. There was one case reported in my city... Then a few days later, 2... If our city follows how it spread in China, in a week it'll double... Two it'll quadruple... Then it'll just get out of hand. The bad part is the 2 week wait to see if it was contained or not.

My wife has a lot of family in China. They're on lock down.... Only one person allowed to leave the house at once. Streets are empty... Work is canceled, schools haven't been in session for weeks and they're saying it's going to be online classes in most areas now. China has shut down most of its business.... Hopefully it doesn't get that bad here.
Don't shake hands. . No more , 4 ever even .I hate shaking. I give the fist tap.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Bet this puts a dent in the ISA show coming up in Orlando. These things always have a handful of chinese vendors plus there will be a lot of people that won’t want to travel.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Yea, three cases now but they have had two weeks to spread. Really it could be in anyone's town now. I'll bet the next cases show up in Texas.
Now it's looking like this virus has been spreading much longer than initially thought. I think many of the flu deaths this year were actually the coronavirus before it was "discovered" or whistle blown. Those flue patients weren't tested for it - were they - because it wasn't known about yet. This gets more frightening everyday.

rossmosh

Start by buying from other counties.

China has invested trillions of dollars over the last 2-3 decades to build up to what they are now. They were able to do this because of low labor cost, communism, and a huge available work force. While some countries can, will/already have stepped in to fill some of the roles China has, they're basically irreplaceable at the moment.

I actually think the tariffs might help us here. Companies have been pre-ordering and stock piling inventory to save before tariffs went into place. Theoretically this should keep inventory shortages from happening.

The place where production will suffer is custom manufacturing. None of that can be pre-ordered, and everything is now 4-8 weeks behind schedule.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
SIX?! an hour ago it was 5. :eek: I live in Washington State... Eastern Washington. There is one person in Spokane County being tested - I haven't heard the results yet - supposed to be out today or tomorrow. We have a special facility here built for a situation just like this. They brought 4 of the passengers from the Diamond princess here - two have been released.

Notarealsignguy

It's not just N95 masks that are out. I went to harbor freight on sunday (not for masks) and the entire aisle was cleared out, respirators and plain ole dust masks. I swear that if this coronavirus had an odor, it would be that god awful smell in those stores.
Masks aren't going to do anything when everybody is taught to cover their mouth when they cough and then go open doors and grab whatever with the same hand. If the apocalypse comes, Ill just sit my ass at the house and not answer the door. It will go away eventually. The traffic here will pick up and give me something to do

Bly

Our news is telling us only people with infection should use a mask.
For everyone else they either make the risk worse or are ineffective.

Notarealsignguy

Was this a test by china of the worlds response? So they can gauge their offense against everyone elses.
Every few years another virus originates from there. Bad luck is a bit suspect at this point. They said they had 12 hospitals setup for this that quickly? Thats hard to believe for a country where people still shit in a trough.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Probably a lot more infected than we know of. There isn't much we can do about it with all the travel that goes on. I just got back from Florida and went through O'hare on Feb 18 and 23. I brought wipes and we wiped down our seats, seat belts, hands, etc. Suppose this - I somehow caught it on my way to Florida in O'hare and came back with a symptom like a runny nose...my kids have been attending school, I've been to the grocery store, I talked to my neighbor who works at the school in the next town. I talked to my renter who works at an assisted living facility. I've also had many customers come in where we both handled each others money, etc. I kissed my boyfriend and he has kids in 2 schools and a mother in an assisted living. My kids went to another town and hung out with kids driving rc cars. My point is it's going to spread, I'm just one person and I could have infected 3 entire cities within a week. It seems to spread faster than the flu but a month ago my kids and I had the flu and many, many kids were home sick. The local Lutheran school closed for 3 days because all the teachers were sick. And a couple weeks after that, things were back to normal.

WildWestDesigns

If you firmly believe this:

Thats hard to believe for a country where people still **** in a trough.

Then this really isn't all that far fetched:

Every few years another virus originates from there.

They said they had 12 hospitals setup for this that quickly?

Well, that would depend on if one believes what comes out of that country as 100% accurate. I would suspect that as well. Of course, if viral issues are occurring with that much frequency just naturally, I would think being able to mobilize quickly would be the smart thing to have if there is a pattern of having to deal with contagions. But that's just me.

Now, I am no way not saying that this couldn't be man made and to gauge response times etc etc etc, I'm just questioning the line of thought from point A to point B. Conclusion very well could be true, the reasoning may not. Reminds me back in my school days when one had to show your math for a problem, go the answer correct, but got counted off a little bit here and there in the "show your work" portion.

Probably a lot more infected than we know of. There isn't much we can do about it with all the travel that goes on.

Can't really panic over it. That doesn't help the situation at all. Some things that one can do to mitigate the odds (having said not panicking, I do prefer the hermit way of doing things myself), but it's really hard to totally isolated. Be aware and take precautions and continually reevaluate to see if they need to be ratchet it up appropriately.

TimToad

It's not just N95 masks that are out. I went to harbor freight on sunday (not for masks) and the entire aisle was cleared out, respirators and plain ole dust masks. I swear that if this coronavirus had an odor, it would be that god awful smell in those stores.
Masks aren't going to do anything when everybody is taught to cover their mouth when they cough and then go open doors and grab whatever with the same hand. If the apocalypse comes, Ill just sit my *** at the house and not answer the door. It will go away eventually. The traffic here will pick up and give me something to do

Most healthcare professionals have always advised people to turn your face and cough or sneeze into your bicep shirt sleeve, creating some distance between it and my hand in case it's not convenient to immediately wash your hands.

The chaos factor this outbreak has the potential to create is dead serious to use a bad metaphor and we're seeing that even the experts don't have a handle on when exactly it started, how far it has spread or if it could be confused with other flu type illnesses.

Johnny Best

poster party.jpg