• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Forget Tariffs, what about a Pandemic?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This'll be me...................................

Please don't bring anything sharp to the party.​

wetsuit-3.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber

Hey Johnny Best........ I think for the best bang for our buck we should advertise in each and every thread. So get started. :sleepin: I can't, cause I hafta rest up for this big shindig. Hafta order job johnnies, extra beer, munchies for the people bringing gummy bears, extra burritos for those who drop them on their pants and party favors. Please, no pets. They might disappear by some of the neighbors. We have 'Take Out' places right across the street and they ain't fussy. They even like rats. :munchie:

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Not sure you want me there... I'd be coming from WA state, and I think Inslee is going to quarantine the whole state. :awesome:

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
...any one here have a chicken pox party when they were a kid? Remember those?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not sure you want me there... I'd be coming from WA state, and I think Inslee is going to quarantine the whole state. :awesome:

You can still come. We just won't let you outta the cage we built just for this purpose. Or, ya can take a raincheck for the next one.

And tex...... only if you're bringing fresh caught salmon. None of this store bought sh!t.​

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's sad and I feel for the families, but I'm trying not to dwell on it. So, pardon my fun part of this thread. In my state, they've given a warning of things to look for, things to do and pretty much, it's like any other sickness. Ya need to use better hygiene..... bottom line.

This is all about some virus which was made by them and they are trying to cover their a$$es over there. They can afford to lose 3, 4, 10 million people and still not feel the effects. That's just how it is over there. I've talked with people with close connections and it's really nothing like what we're being told. I have full trust in our health system to do it's job and rid of of this, but we will pay a small price. They say, it's about 2.7% of all people who contract the disease who will perish. I just pray, they contain it quickly.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
More scientists are saying it's really hard to pin down a clear percentage of mortality in COVID-19 cases. Un-tracked community spread of the virus could ultimately dilute the figures. Some people who contract the virus don't show any symptoms while others may experience symptoms no worse that a minor cold. It's unlikely those people will go to a doctor and get tested.

So far it still does look like this type of coronavirus is more lethal than typical seasonal flu. Scientists and medical personnel have been giving the news media estimated mortality rates ranging between 1.5% and 3%.

One bright side to the situation: there appears to be few if any pediatric deaths from COVID-19.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
An excess of testing kits should have been available months ago in addition to proper procedures for doctors offices and hospitals. There is no excuse for this clusterf*ck going on right now. This is what happens when you fail to plan and brush it off as another flu. Short term economic stability at the expense of long term instability. It's about what I expected so whatever. It is what it is.
Gino is going to revoke my invite.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Most healthcare professionals have always advised people to turn your face and cough or sneeze into your bicep shirt sleeve, creating some distance between it and my hand in case it's not convenient to immediately wash your hands.

The chaos factor this outbreak has the potential to create is dead serious to use a bad metaphor and we're seeing that even the experts don't have a handle on when exactly it started, how far it has spread or if it could be confused with other flu type illnesses.
I just saw this morning they believe the world wide death rate 3.4%. I still plan to travel from WI to FL again in May. Tickets are cheap now but I may purchase insurance for the first time in my life just in case there are any restrictions in place at the condo we stay at. They are no longer reporting those they are tracking. I had no idea it was in the hundreds just in my state alone. My sister was planning to vacation in Italy this May, flights are all cancelled. My parents have a European cruise planned for Fall...they can cancel up to May 30 and are going to wait it out until then to decide. The chaos is creating a disastrous situation for tourism around the world.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I'll bring some Blackberry Brandy and some plastic shot glasses (safety precaution considering Gino's attire). Blackberry cures everything!

Did you say PLASTIC? You might as well put them in an asbestos container lined with lead. Plastic is the new thing to hate.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not around here. Ya can't recycle lead or asbestos without all kindsa red tape. Plastic..... just throw in the recyclable bin.

As for traveling.... I'm kinda glad I have nowhere to go coming up. :supersmilie:

Yeah, passing the bottle is easier and we have bottles of listerine laced with peroxide for rinsing out your mouth between gulps. Better bring 3 or 4 bottles of brandy.​

unclebun

An excess of testing kits should have been available months ago in addition to proper procedures for doctors offices and hospitals. There is no excuse for this clusterf*ck going on right now. This is what happens when you fail to plan and brush it off as another flu. Short term economic stability at the expense of long term instability. It's about what I expected so whatever. It is what it is.
Gino is going to revoke my invite.

Months ago? How many months do you think it should have been?

The first cases of the virus were identified in Wuhan, China, in December 2019. That is less than 2.5 months ago. The World Health Organization declared the outbreak to be a public health emergency on January 30, when it became clear that the outbreak was not contained within China, and that international travel had spread it to 18 countries. The next day our Health and Human Services Secretary declared a Public Health Emergency for the US. That was 5 weeks ago (almost).

When the virus is identified and sequenced, it still takes manufacturing time to develop and manufacture testing kits for it. By the time of the WHO declaration on January 30, there had been 7700 confirmed and 12100 suspected cases in China, and 83 others in 18 other countries. That means that in the first month, they had already made and distributed testing kits in the tens of thousands, possibly even hundreds of thousands. This week it was announced that over a million test kits were now being distributed. That's in the second month since the virus was identified. In addition, hospitals and doctors' offices all across the US received a 70+ page report on what to do, how to identify cases, and how to handle the outbreak from the CDC last month, after the PHE announcement.

I don't think that constitutes "brushing it off as another flu", and neither did shutting down all travel from China and immediately setting up airport screening and quarantine centers. I have a friend who is originally from Macau, China, who now lives in Ames, Iowa, that traveled to visit her parents in Macau for Chinese New Year. She had to delay her return home to Ames until today because of our quarantine process (after 14 days without symptoms).

You may think the situation is being handled badly now because you believe the idiocy coming out of the news media. But to a sane observer who knows how to identify what is going on, things are being dealt with as well as they can be, and very quickly. The truth is, by the time the virus was identified in Wuhan, and China notified the rest of the world (if you want to blame anyone for delay, you can lay the blame there, because China dealt with it initially by jailing and punishing the doctor who identified the first cluster of patients for spreading bad news about China, then refused to let the world know for some weeks that anything was going on, as well as refusing to let any researchers from other countries in to work with them on identification or containment), there had already been several weeks of spread by unsuspecting travelers from China, who went on Mediterranean and Pacific cruises or other vacations such as to Vancouver or other places in the Western US where there are large populations of Chinese (Chinese New Year is a national holiday there where you get a whole week off) while carrying the virus but not very sick or not sick at all yet. That is why we are now seeing cases pop up in clusters all over the world, seemingly not connected to having been in Wuhan.

It is also becoming clear, now that more cases are being suspected and identified, that the vast majority of people who get this virus do not get the SARS component, but instead have anything from a mild cold-like illness to a moderate flu-like illness. That's why you have seen the recorded mortality rate drop from the initial 17-20% they recorded in January to the 2-3% range it's in now. As more people get tested and identified as having contracted the virus, you would expect to see the mortality rate decline because of increasing the number known to have had the virus.

It also appears that the health of the person prior to contracting the virus has a great deal to do with the outcome. The cluster of deaths in Washington state are primarily among the residents of a nursing home, and all who have died had pre-existing pulmonary or cardiovascular disease which compromised their health. You have the contrasting experience of the people who came off the cruise ship that was stuck in Japan. Something like 22 of them were tested positive for the virus before or since being flown back to the US. Yet they are doing fine, and some have been posting on social media that they don't feel that sick at all.

Just because the media, and possibly you, hates the president doesn't mean that public health officials aren't doing a good job or that the administration's action has been incorrect.