• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Full wrap solid color

Patentagosse

I have a request from a customer to cover his new work truck, a 2009 F150 long box with big fibergass box. He bought it used because of a sweet deal but the vehicle is white while the rest of the fleet is black. He want it fully covered so he's inquiring if it cost less or more than sending it to bodyshop for painting. I know he already has the "paint" price but as I never fully wrapped a vehicle in solid color, I'm not sure what to charge (how long it will takes to hide every white spots... I'm thinking at the back of the cab where I'll be forced to unscrew the box... and all curved spots on fiber box that will force many joints/overlaps...) I'm not sure I want to jump in it but as he's already customer here, I'd like to give him an average price. Any suggestion?

:thankyou:

Attachments

• FORD.jpg
    FORD.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 76
Run my friend, I tryed to help a guy out, he wanted his truck wraped in all red I told him to paint it but he insisted to wrap it.... Let me tell you I feel like I took on a new wife, he finaly got it painted and I lost a friend. People dont understand how much work goes into these jobs, RUN and dont look back. tell him to paint it!!!!

I agreed with all the above, I do mostly only one color wraps here in Germany, and when a customer comes with this kind of Job, I explain to him painting would be cheaper for him ,because to wrap his vehicle would most likely exceed the paint price...and if he still wants a quote, then he get my wrap price + stress price + 50% extra material + 3 day minium wrap time + 50% up front...:) and some have still give me the job...:)

Patentagosse

That was my 1st idea (by miles) as this guy is always trying to negociate when it's time to pay (I usually start my quote higher knowing is such a PITA...).

Just the pickup itself wouldn't be that much pain but the "over cab thing" will get the worst out of me (I already hear myself swearing I'd never do that again...)

Ask him to take the cab off...with two wrappers it is possible. What kind of film would you use? He met have in mind to resale the vehicle later and then an expensive wrap would make sense...

WB

I vote paint aswell.. I wrapped a full sized tractor White.. Owner was expecting a paint job not a warp... We should have walked away from that one.

Also something to think about is something like that will be on the road way more then your average wrap, so there's going to be alot of wear and tear that he migth expect to be covered under warranty.

Patentagosse

I expect him to be told around 4-5K for new paint so I figured no way I would work under $3000 for this wrap. 25yds of black wrap film in Avery (or Oracal, 3M...) would cost me around $800 but, as I work alone here, it would ground me for few days so I decline. I'm gonna call him back right away.

Thanks all for your inputs.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I expect him to be told around 4-5K for new paint so I figured no way I would work under $3000 for this wrap. 25yds of black wrap film in Avery (or Oracal, 3M...) would cost me around $800 but, as I work alone here, it would ground me for few days so I decline. I'm gonna call him back right away.

Thanks all for your inputs.

If you are insistent on torturing yourself, and you know the cheapest he's gonna get it painted for is $4K, then you need to charge $3,999!

Patentagosse

After 23 years in business, when you said YES to too many "hair pulling" jobs, you need to take that kinda decision. Sometimes it's better to let a customer go than working for nothing or blaspheming against it during the whole process. I have a stack of fun jobs waiting for my on the corner of my desk, why would I be forced to do it if I don't feel it?

You'll learn...

Patentagosse

Well, I'm glad for you if you can get decent paint job under 4K for a pickup truck. In my area, a color change done with according meticulous sanding, prepping and basecoat/clearcoat premium urethane paint will cost that. Add that fiber box (many sq.ft to prep and paint) and you can easily get up in the +6K range. No kidding. I'm sure we can found some lowballers who will do this for half of that but in case of problem (i.e. paint peeling), they won't do it for free IF they're still around (some likes to "desappear" after few "fast shots"...

'Just call my uncle who owns a bodyshop. He says: $3000 for the pickup + $1200 for the box. Minimum. Just in material, you're in the $1500 range. Adding around 40 hours for man labour (figure taking off the fiber box and the truck's box off the frame to access the rear of the cab...) So with my 4K-5K, I wasn't off track.