• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting FC7000 to work serial... help?

os101king

Screwed the pooch, broke the USB port off the board on my MK2. Got the old port off, waiting to get new ones in the mail (not a warranty covered item...) so I can have it soldered on. Problem being, I wanted to be able to run in the interim (it's damned hard to find anyone to solder on PC boards these days) so I ordered a 9-25 pin serial cable to connect it up.

So far, no go. Matched the settings (baud, parity et cetera) but nothing's happening. Any things to look for specifically? Had read in another thread about a proprietary serial cable being necessary, but couldn't find any other reference to it. Also that I would need a "null" cable, not a standard serial....

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

os101king

Great. So much for my "computer guy"... he steered me away from the null cables. FRICK. Thanks for that tip, may as well not bother banging my head on things....

Techman

you need a new tech. This is so basic that almost all techs know that many cnc type machines need the "other " serial cable.

MPM

Yea dude, i've got the post with the graphtec wont cut for topic. If you have gone onto my post you'd by now know what i said in there if not then yea you need the "other" serial cable. I went to shop to ask for the null serial modem cable but what they sold me was just normal serial pin cable. I got in touch with a guy in Japan from graphteccorp and he told me u need a proprietary serial cable. i found a guy here in AUS who makes them up, he repairs etc cutters, computers etc. But ye it not just normal serial cable.