• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting started as a hobby

fmg

Yes do please explain your self why? You sir are a damning example of what is giving this place a bad name. I am all ears as to welcome your explanation as to why I Am a POS and you would like to kick my ass.

Bradster941

Gino.
Must be honest and say out loud.You sound like you have one big hang up when someone new comes onto these forums and asks advice about the sign business.
Look back in your posts and you will see anger.Man you spend too much time behind a screen and not enough time making signs no wonder you are angry at the newcomers in the biz!!!
Calm down sunshine and give the new breed the benefit of the doubt.And no one does not have to work in a sign shop these days to learn the biz' this is the wonder of the internet a fantastic learning tool!
Welcome WGR and please ask any questions you feel you want to.
You may or may not get the answers you want but at least you can use the cliche ask and you shall get.
Thanks

Ahhh what's the matter Gino You seem a bit quiet now that someone has shut u up.You think you are always right and your patronizing welcome from PA greeting everytime someone poses a question without introducing themselves.
I fear your time is up here sunshine on this forum and suggest you retire to the oldies section where you can moan and grump all day cos that's how you come across ...A grumpy ol man!
P.S Welcome from CT!

Uh Oh another self righteous ol timer gettin in on the drama.
God u gotta love this place for a bit of entertainment!

Yes do please explain your self why? You sir are a damning example of what is giving this place a bad name. I am all ears as to welcome your explanation as to why I Am a POS and you would like to kick my ass.

FMG
Are you sure you want to push our Patience with you any Further :help

Bigdawg

Just Me
fmg - just a note...

just because I jumped on someone else who's been here quite a while... doesn't mean I don't expect the same courtesy from you or will not call you out on it either. If you want to nanny-nanny-boo-boo take it somewhere else. Same rule of thumb applies to you too...

Gino

Premium Subscriber

This whole thing has gotten way out of hand. Yep, I helped, but not with the onset that some of you are now sporting around.
I'm going to start a new thread with some of my concerns, observations and be looking for input from both sides of the fence.... and even those on the fence.

I know this is Fred's place, but we're all with different opinions as to why or how some threads take twists and turns..... for mostly the bad part.

I'd like to explore those many reasons and hear both sides without getting this thing locked down. Anyone wanna participate.... see ya over there later on.

:noway: I'm going to do it in the 'Premium' section so we can talk among ourselves and come to some conclusion.

And No fmg, I'm not running, but I have enough sense to know when to shut up for a while and listen so to let emotions settle down a little. :rolleyes:

Tim Aucoin

...I think the veterans should have a little more faith in their admins and work with them to improve what is a difficult process of screening members. Just because a member has a different understanding of a hot button word than you or others do does not justify jumping to the conclusions that were evident in this thread.

It's also because the lack of courtesy and rudeness to new people is often so outrageous.

Ain't that the truth Fred! Well put.

I've referred a number of fellow franchise owners to this site to further their knowledge in this part of their businesses. They are professionals who want to grow their businesses by expanding their offerings. Signs (and everything associated with them) has been a very natural expansion to our well established business model, and this forum has been such a tremendous help for the last 2+ years. That's why I've referred a few of my colleagues and encouraged them to join. I know they have spent time on here just "checking it out, but I'm not sure if any have actually signed up. I pity the one(s) who have if they're treated the way WG was. :banghead:

I'm headed to our Corporate Conference next month and would love to recommend Signs101.com to those franchisees who have recently added sign-related services to their business model. I know I'll be asked many questions about my growth and success in this area, and I'll be giving Signs101 a lot of credit for that. I'll be honest and say I'm concerned how they may be treated if they join and happen to say the wrong thing in their new member welcome post. I guess my recommendation will just have to come with a disclaimer! :covereyes:

skyhigh

Absolutely K-G... and the original post coulda, woulda, shoulda been worded a little more artfully. I understand that.

But it's not just this thread. Take a read around the newbie posts and you'll see a recurring theme. I talk to a lot of people on this board - newbies, oldies and some that just read and don't post. EVERY SINGLE one of them has mentioned at some point that this board is very unfriendly to newcomers.
I don't have the time to read this whole thread, but I will address what Stacy had to say.
the original post coulda, woulda, shoulda been worded a little more artfully
Could it be, the Original Post was worded exactly how it should have been? Honest. Sounds like you want to "re-word" it for the OP, so he will be more accecpted?

this board is very unfriendly to newcomers.
Could it be, some are simply unfriendly to Hobbiest?

I have to disagree with your statement Stacy. I have seen newbies come here and be accecpted with open arms. You say you would like the old friendly 101? I say I would like to see a more PROFESSIONAL sign forum, along with the members here @ 101

Maybe its not the OP that dosen't belong here (hobbiest, "do it themselvers", or lowballerMakeSomeMoneyOnTheSider) , but rather the full time shops owners shouldn't be here? (ya know, those of us who make our living doing this work)

I would think the quality of the information on this site, would go down hill rather suddenly......don't ya think?

ps. I'm sure you know, that I rarely post in any "new member welcome" thread (good or bad).....and I'm not here to bash this one. I say WELCOME TO :signs101:

Last edited:

Bigdawg

Just Me
Could it be, the Original Post was worded exactly how it should have been? Honest. Sounds like you want to "re-word" it for the OP, so he will be more accecpted?

C'mon - you know me better than that. I saw the OP's registration... I don't need to reword anything, because I knew his intent.

Could it be, some are simply unfriendly to Hobbiest?
Could it be you don't have full information and he's not?

I have to disagree with your statement Stacy. I have seen newbies come here and be accecpted with open arms. You say you would like the old friendly 101? I say I would like to see a more PROFESSIONAL sign forum, along with the members here @ 101
Point me to those open arm welcomes when they ask a question... please...
Maybe its not the OP that dosen't belong here (hobbiest, "do it themselvers", or lowballerMakeSomeMoneyOnTheSider) , but rather the full time shops owners shouldn't be here? (ya know, those of us who make our living doing this work)

I would think the quality of the information on this site, would go down hill rather suddenly......don't ya think?
Hate that's how you feel.. but there's not enough support for a closed, paid for forum that could possibly do what you want...

ps. I'm sure you know, that I rarely post in any "new member welcome" thread (good or bad).....and I'm not here to bash this one. I say WELCOME TO :signs101:
Although I think you're way off base in criticizing Gino for his point of view.

I did not criticize Gino for his point of view. Try reading again. What I did was criticize the way he (and others) treat the new members. Not just this one.

What exactly do you want to happen? You want license and registration at the door? Do you want to check all those? We MANUALLY screen each registration. Most sites don't. Do some people slip through that shouldn't be? Yep. And we get rid of them when we catch it.

But like Fred said. We see the registrations. We have an idea of the intent of the member. And if we have any doubts, we damn sure watch them.

So what is your answer? You tell me how it gets more "professional" without additional expense and personnel to manage it.

Everyone seems to forget this is a free sign board. With a paid "behind the curtains" section. Use that section when you don't want to share with others.... is it a guarantee that one of your competitors didn't pay too? No, but it's a start.

There was/is/has been some discussion of how to change things. The bottom line always ends up being that:
1. Participants still won't share because they don't want a competitor to be able to join and see what they post.
2. They don't want to pay to keep a board totally behind closed doors.

I love this board. I love the people on it. Good, bad and ugly. But there is some harsh opinions on both side... and sometimes they make this forum a very ugly place to be.

GoodPeopleFlags

Ya know, there's always the option to not reply to any particular post you don't agree with. I have an opinion on it, too, but no need to voice it. I'm not directing that to anyone in particular... I'm just sayin'...

MachServTech

hatefest for newbies.

I agree

A great way to kill S101...slowly

Remember its not just newbies that stumble on Signs101 it also professionals. If you feel the rarefied experience that hobbist scabs can glean from Signs101 is too important and sacred then IT SHOULDNT BE POSTED!

If we continue to burn newbs at the stake it will scare off more than just noobs and garage hacks.

fmg

I agree

A great way to kill S101...slowly

Remember its not just newbies that stumble on Signs101 it also professionals. If you feel the rarefied experience that hobbist scabs can glean from Signs101 is too important and sacred then IT SHOULDNT BE POSTED!

If we continue to burn newbs at the stake it will scare off more than just noobs and garage hacks.
Not only newbies or professionals alike but potential customers will stumble across these forums too! Now there's something to ponder over!

routierracing

I'll rant too

I would just like to address the anti online entertaining attitude. It was said to instead go do it the right way and take class or etc. Half of my graphic design classes are centered around online tutorials and a lot of it involves posting to discussions online with other students. Sound familiar?

Being against learning online is like being all for snell mail as the only form of communication.

And I more than that hobbist are bad for the industry and I am behind you guys on that one. But the whole clique and anti newbie attitude is pointless. Look at my post count and you'll see I'm a newb and bash me how ever you like. You see racing in my screen name too. Bash that but I'm proud of my background although the only racecar I wrap is my own. Live by this. When someone gives you some trouble brush it off and smile.

All this said, I do (as do MOST other newbies) greatly appreciate and respect the advice and experience offered from those who give help in a respectful manner.

skyhigh

C'mon - you know me better than that. I saw the OP's registration... I don't need to reword anything, because I knew his intent.

Could it be you don't have full information and he's not?

I've heard you chant that before.....but you never back it up.
I say bs.

Point me to those open arm welcomes when they ask a question... please...

Cammon Stacy, I've seen it, so I'm sure you have too. I'm not going to waste my valuable time, searching old post, just to make a point we both know is true.

Hate that's how you feel.. but there's not enough support for a closed, paid for forum that could possibly do what you want...

Now to that, I take offense. (oh, and is the reason for my attitude in this post)
Where in my post did you see anything I said as hateful??? I nicely stated my opinion, to which you felt the need to lash out. Gently give that sideways board a twist, and remove. Then if you care to respond without all the accusations, I will be more inclined to listen.

Back to work.....have a wonderful day.

Joe Diaz

Ya know, there's always the option to not reply to any particular post you don't agree with. I have an opinion on it, too, but no need to voice it. I'm not directing that to anyone in particular... I'm just sayin'...

:goodpost: Yup I think we can all learn from that. I know I personally will be trying harder to implement that into my online behavior, because I can remember a few occasions where, like Gino, I lectured a new member for saying they were making signs as a hobby.

I can relate to Gino here. It isn't so much a fear of competition for me, it is more of a reaction to an unintended insult, where someone thinks what I do for a living that pays my bills and fills my fridge, is something that one can just pick up and do as a hobby. But the unfortunate reality is if they have the money they can. AND I use the word "unintended" because I'm guessing most of the time they aren't meaning to insult what we do. And really, it's only an insult if we allow it to be.

But I trust Fred and Stacy's abilities as gate keepers. If a few stragglers somehow get past them I can always take BlueFish's advice and simply not respond.

I have learned something from all of this though.

The truth is if we want these individuals to understand where we are coming from, tearing their heads off may be counterproductive. And who knows, one of these new members may be the next Gary Anderson, John Deaton, David Butler or Grandpa Dan. And how awesome would it be If I were one of the many signs101 members that helped them out earlier in their careers? ...All because I didn't jump to conclusions and waited for those new members to discover that sign business is serious business and can make one hell of a career.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Now to that, I take offense. (oh, and is the reason for my attitude in this post)
Where in my post did you see anything I said as hateful??? I nicely stated my opinion, to which you felt the need to lash out. Gently give that sideways board a twist, and remove. Then if you care to respond without all the accusations, I will be more inclined to listen.

You misunderstood. Totally misunderstood. I was NOT calling you hateful. Let me rephrase.

I hate that you feel that way (that you should just leave)... was what I was trying to say...

no accusations... no lashing out.

You have a good day too.

fmg

why don't you all have a good day and get on with some work or something like that!!! Cos we are all busy are we not!

skyhigh

my bad Stacy... you know I :loveya:

I don't know what the answer is. All I can do is be selective to whom I offer advice, and most important, WHERE I offer advice (premium). And I do HATE the fact that I feel restricted with my participation here. I hope you know me well enough, that I will help ANYONE I can....at the same time, I'm not going to slit my own throat, or cheapen this industry with a "learn as you go", "open to the public" website.

Any newbie that feels I may have the answer to their problem, please feel free to pm me. I will be happy to help on a "one to one" basis, or possibly in the premium section.

again, my bad I guess.