• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Give Up Hire a Professional

Locals Find!

This is something I see a lot in this Forum. Why is it that when people attempt to post a logo they put effort in so many members, Tell them give up and Hire a Professional?

They are posting for feedback and trying to improve their work. Am I wrong in thinking that this does nothing to improve our industry in the slightest with these kinda comments??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Some people learn with an iron fist, rather than having everything sugar-coated.

When you were in school and you couldn't add 2 + 2.... did your teacher say good try Addie..... when you came up with 3... or did she tell you to do more homework and learn your tables ??

Ya wanna be thinned skinned ?? Go to a hobbyist forum and hang out with them for a while.

Flame

This is something I see a lot in this Forum. Why is it that when people attempt to post a logo they put effort in so many members, Tell them give up and Hire a Professional?

They are posting for feedback and trying to improve their work. Am I wrong in thinking that this does nothing to improve our industry in the slightest with these kinda comments??

Yes you're wrong. Not everyone who picks up a wrench is a mechanic, not everyone who buys a toolbox full of tools deserves to be a mechanic, and everyone who trys to remove a 3/8 bolt with a 3/4 socket oughta be slapped.

J

john1

Gino is right, You need to be thick skinned in this industry if your asking the guys who are selling these things if yours is up to par.

I learned that a while back and am now confident with posting things because if you knew how to do it so well, Why would you post it for crits? lol

WildWestDesigns

Some people learn with an iron fist, rather than having everything sugar-coated.

When you were in school and you couldn't add 2 + 2.... did your teacher say good try Addie..... when you came up with 3... or did she tell you to do more homework and learn your tables ??

Ya wanna be thinned skinned ?? Go to a hobbyist forum and hang out with them for a while.

Very true. Unfortunately, there are a couple that aren't saying study up more on this or that, they say hire someone else.

That would be like, to use your example, instead of the teacher saying to learn your tables, they say hire a mathematician.

Now, having said that, not everyone is cut out for whatever they are trying to do, I'm not trying to say that. However, I do believe that there needs to be constructive criticism. How many here weren't perfect when they started? How many here understudied and learned by practice? I for one wasn't someone that just got it, and trust me, I've had a lot of designs ripped up and I'm still no where near the level that quite a few are here, but just saying to hire someone doesn't help me be a better designer. Now if I've peaked as a designer that's one thing, but as long as you keep on learning, it'll be very hard to peak.

I really don't care if you call my design a worthless piece of shit, but tell me why it is and if I'm serious about being a better designer I'll do my best to correct that mistake. If I don't get it, then I don't get it; I haven't had that happen yet though I can say.

Now I'm not saying that anyone here has said things like that to me(except one person alluded to such things, but never stated why, so I don't know if they were just being a horse's ass to a newbie or not), I'm just going by how I would approach the situation if it directly affected me. Unlike quite a few of y'all that had natural talent, I had to learn everything by having my art ripped a part by people, but they always gave me hints(look at color, layout, weight etc) and I would like to think I've gotten better. If I had people only telling me to hire a "professional", I wouldn't have advanced at all. I might even get to the point of earning the monikar of "artist", but I have to work every single time I go to do something as I have to get over the hump of not being naturally inclined.

Last edited:

grampa dan

Sadly there are many in this industry that are not capable of designing a professional looking logo. It may be that this is a skill that can be learned, although I believe it takes a certainly amount of talent and a whole lot more passion to get good at.

With the proliferation of modern software and tools there seems to be a lot of folks entering the game who simply type something into their computer and call it art. Others, not able to draw, and not willing to learn the basics use clipart to get by. They may even produce something that does not look half bad on occasion although without understanding the basics of design most likely do it by chance.

While these folks may be good business people they simply don't have talent nor skill to do artwork. That takes time and in today's 'instant' world they don't want to take the time. These folks should hire someone to do their artwork just as much as those who have no business sense (and don't care to know) should hire someone to do their books.

If my truck needs fixing I get a professional to do it. While I could probably muddle through it (with a manual to help me) chances are I may not tighten something right or I may even do more harm than good. I'm best leaving that to others.

Others who may be good at all of the above don't have people skills or perhaps management skills. They should hire people that can help them out in these areas.

I believe the way certain things are expressed on occasion may be a bit blunt... but needs to be said nonetheless.

-grampa dan

J

john1

well said Dan, I always say "you do what you do, and i'll do what i do"

No need for a jack of all tradesman here.

Nothing worse than someone who thinks they can do EVERYTHING. Their business cards probably read....

vinyl lettering
house painting
automotive collision work
private investigations
lawyer
master chef

lol

thinksigns

SnowFlake
If it's not there specifically, there is an implied "In your professional opinion". A professional can tell if a design has potential or if it doesn't. If it doesn't, then they are improving the industry by keeping bad logos from seeing the light of day.

John Butto

Project Runway on Bravo

It is reality sign designer logo TV show. You have your panel of judges and they give their opinion on your design. They have the professional backing and "you will be back" if they don't like it and "your out" if you don't have what it takes, "carry on designers". And I am not gay, "not that their is anything wrong with it".

Bigdawg

Just Me

Why yes you are...

We cannot teach someone how to design. Balance in color, white space, font choices (and why), legibility, etc. If they don't see those things when they have posted their logo - most times they never will. As much as I hate to say it... some people just cannot see those things.

I am not saying that's the case here. But if you don't know how to design and don't realize what you don't know - it's best to have a professional do it for you.

Just because I know what a scalpel can do and in theory know how to use it (I did work in a hospital lol)... doesn't mean I should.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why yes you are...

We cannot teach someone how to design. Balance in color, white space, font choices (and why), legibility, etc. If they don't see those things when they have posted their logo - most times they never will. As much as I hate to say it... some people just cannot see those things.

I am not saying that's the case here. But if you don't know how to design and don't realize what you don't know - it's best to have a professional do it for you.

Just because I know what a scalpel can do and in theory know how to use it (I did work in a hospital lol)... doesn't mean I should.

Yeah.... just look at Hannibal Lecter. :ROFLMAO:

GoodPeopleFlags

I really think the only reason the OP posted this thread was to start some fiery debate. I will not fall victim to it. Save yourself the trouble and don't get played.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
guido.gif
You are asking for advice and the judgment that comes with it when you put anything up for critique. The adviser/judges may or may not be qualified to answer. So you get what you get and the wise student will sort out the good from the not so good replies.

Telling someone they might want to hire a professional is a blunt way of saying that the product has no merit or saving grace, in the eyes of the respondent, so you must still take it for what it's worth. OTOH, it's also a bit like auditioning for American Idol. If you croon like Sinatra they'll tell you so and if you screech like a banshee, they'll also tell you so.

In my view, blunt is far preferable to undeserved attaboys.

Pat Whatley

Because for some reason 99% of the people in the sign business think:
-they are graphic designers
-they are branding professionals
-they are in the apparel business
-they are carpenters
-they are artists
-they are writers
-they are lawyers
-they are painters
-they are accountants
-they are web designers
-they are print brokers
-they are wrap designers
....when in reality they just know how to stick sticky stuff to stuff.

Do what you do well for fun and profit, sub out what you can't do correctly or profitably to someone who can and you'll still profit.