• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GLOSS or MATTE -- The Million Dollar Question

splizaat

So I've been printing and handling gloss product all my (printing) life. But lately I feel like printed matte vinyl has such a more expensive and deep look to it vs glossy printed vinyl.

So the million dollar question...Are you or your sign shop using GLOSS or MATTE vinyl to print on?

No explanations...or debates. Just a simple answer.

Matt

HulkSmash

So I've been printing and handling gloss product all my (printing) life. But lately I feel like printed matte vinyl has such a more expensive and deep look to it vs glossy printed vinyl.

So the million dollar question...Are you or your sign shop using GLOSS or MATTE vinyl to print on?

No explanations...or debates. Just a simple answer.

Matt

I stock both, and give the customer options. But 70% of the time it's gloss.

anotherdog

we use gloss and matt lam as needed...but I have heard things about the matt...
does it take the color better?

is it worth a trip to the dark side?
I know it says don't, but please debate!

ucmj22

different vinyl for different uses. Matte does give a more elegant feel, but glossy will show more detail.

Ponto

...both,...usually depends on the application...and I'll complicate things and use a semi-gloss or lustre laminate........

JP

rfulford

We probably only do about 10% gloss on any product / printer. Matte is preferred by far by our clients.

Rydaddy

Matte is where it's at. Sorry, couldn't resist. If I could I would do everything matte, but it's not always an option.

Sticky Signs

Matt prints so much better than gloss. At least on my XC540. Plus I find gloss is hard to read because of the glare.

J

john1

I print on matte material and laminate with luster or gloss laminate. Matte prints less grainy and more smooth than gloss.

Suz

Matte

When I was having my digital printing subbed out, I always did matte. Now that I'm doing my own digital printing, again: Matte!

petepaz

Matt prints so much better than gloss. At least on my XC540. Plus I find gloss is hard to read because of the glare.
same here. we use matte on both our xc540 and vp540 just lam gloss if need be. the matte seems to hold the ink better, crisper print, less banding, deeper colors.

splizaat

ahhhh Looks like I'm requesting some matte vinyl samples and going to throw those through the beast. We'll see what happens. I printed some matte BANNER material yesterday for the first time and it looked nice and bold compared to our gloss sign vinyl....that's what originally got me thinking.

sfr table hockey

our printer prints so much better on matte, gloss is more grainy....but we use both. i prefer the matte though

I print on matte material and laminate with luster or gloss laminate. Matte prints less grainy and more smooth than gloss.

same here. we use matte on both our xc540 and vp540 just lam gloss if need be. the matte seems to hold the ink better, crisper print, less banding, deeper colors.

I would say +1 to all of these and I print on a converted CJ. Way easier to get a nice print on matte media unless you go with a high end cast media.

Kevin-shopVOX

i've also noticed that matte is more forgiving especially when using an eco or solvent ink. If the print accidentally hits inks to ink off the machine the matte seems to stick less often if at all to itself whereas gloss is almost an instant stick.

quicksigns

Matte print better for us but we carry both too. We alway print matte for indoor so there wouldn't be a glare.