• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Glossy "Wet" Carbon Fiber Wrap Film?

Fastsigns2041

Fastsigns Palm Harbor
So, a man spends $100,000+ on a car but can't afford a $2,000 option from the factory? I don't understand people.

Hydrodipping is your best bet, if he is too poor after buying his ultra luxury sports car. Have it sprayed with a few coats of clear afterwards to give it depth.

Haakon

So, a man spends $100,000+ on a car but can't afford a $2,000 option from the factory? I don't understand people.

You do realize that it is possible to buy a car secondhand? And not being able to choose options from the factory? The M6 has been around since about 2005..

splizaat

You do realize that it is possible to buy a car secondhand? And not being able to choose options from the factory? The M6 has been around since about 2005..

That is correct :)

I never understood why all you sign guys on here have such negative attitudes...If I can wrap the interior pieces with a wet looking carbon fiber and make $300 real quick, why would I turn it down? Customer removes and provides pieces, we wrap and hand em back.

Atomic DNA

Two pics are 4-wheeler parts with gloss clear and the other is a matte finish on a gun barrel.

Attachments

• 2013030795144909.jpg
    2013030795144909.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 2013031295233829.jpg
    2013031295233829.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 112
  • 2013031295233722.jpg
    2013031295233722.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 110

Atomic DNA

He does great work. I've seen other company's stuff and the extra time he takes (better prep and double dip vs. single) definitely shows. He stays covered up and has a 4 to 6 week wait. He has anywhere from 30 to 40 jobs waiting. It's crazy.

TDFcustomSL

didnt realize you could double dip haha, i figured itd be impossible to line the film up to get a duplicate transfer, learn somethin new everyday. Those do look great..but back to what i was going to post here, if you are dead set on wrapping them yourself i would consider using the new 3m gloss carbon fiber.

splizaat

I just called the di-noc architectural film department at 3M and the girl asked others in the office....they had never heard of the gloss carbon you are talking about...

Atomic DNA

Basically what I meant by double dipping is that he will do one side and flip it around and do the other. Most of the dippers I've seen do it all in one continuous motion, distorting the print.

401Graphics

all of decalfx CF sheets are polyester / metallized film. you cant wrap with it! I dont care what it says in the description. I guarantee you its a lie!

TDFcustomSL

Welp im out of advice, still find it funny that "3M knows nothing about their own gloss Di-Noc Carbon Fiber Films" Good luck with this one.

Fastsigns2041

Fastsigns Palm Harbor

This is just the regular textured 1080 carbon fiber. Ebay sellers aren't the most accurate with their products, especially in our industry.

Anyways, my point still stands. besides hydrodipping and a clear coat afterwards, you don't have any other options besides the real deal factory inserts that the customer will be happy with.

So you do all the leg work pricing out a fake finish that the customer might not be happy with in the end that might only be a few hundred dollars less than the actual carbon inserts.

TDFcustomSL

a google search for "3m Di-Noc carbon fiber matte vs glossy" resulted in this http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/blog/how-one-customer-made-his-3m-carbon-fiber-di-noc-glossy/ this could potentially work, if you dont put it on too wet, Thinking back to my expierement i was using an automotive spray gun and a high build clear, so i guess it would be possible that i put it on entirely too wet compared to using a few medium wet coats out of a spray can. If anyone else decides to try this id be curious to see the results.

TDFcustomSL

a google search for "3m Di-Noc carbon fiber matte vs glossy" resulted in this http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/blog/how-one-customer-made-his-3m-carbon-fiber-di-noc-glossy/ this could potentially work, if you dont put it on too wet, Thinking back to my expierement i was using an automotive spray gun and a high build clear, so i guess it would be possible that i put it on entirely too wet compared to using a few medium wet coats out of a spray can. If anyone else decides to try this id be curious to see the results.

this site also shows a comparison of the 3m gloss and the matte carbon fiber films. http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/blog/how-one-customer-made-his-3m-carbon-fiber-di-noc-glossy/

STSMotorsports

Print a carbon fiber pattern and use a gloss laminate. I've done that for SK modified dash aluminum pieces and inspection was about to dock them for using caborn fiber. Just a suggestion.