• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Goodnight Irene

Tony Teveris

We'll it looks like we’re going to get hit by Irene here in Connecticut. The rain will not be the biggest problem but the wind is going to make a mess. This year the apples trees are loaded on the farm and we are only into our 4th variety. This is going to be a mess, apples on the ground, broken limbs, etc. The peaches, plums and pears will fare much better but we will still lose some of them also. We have cold storages but the problem is you can’t just go out and pick everything as it’s not ready. We do have a huge PTO generator so power is never a problem for the main farm house and cooler.

So I guess all I can say is Goodnight Irene

iSign

good luck Tony
I hope an unexpected break in the forecast gives you good news to awaken to ..(oh, I guess you're already awake for the day... almost forgot... almost still yesterday here)

Typestries

The overnight westward shift of the models puts us, doh, right in the crosshairs here on LBI. Fortunately I am a weather wacker and have been following this (preparing) for days. It's amazing how many folks, ON or NEAR a BARRIER ISLAND are totally clueless about the seriousness of this. Then, they put rescuers, and other peoples property, in danger because of their ignorance/complacency.

Good luck to you Tony, and everyone else. If you are not paying attention to this storm, you should be.

Hopefuly this will push to the east some and you will not take a direct hit. Living on the Gulf Coast I feel for you and everyone in the Carolina's and the Eastern coast. You are difinitly doing the right thing by being prepaired for it. Take care and be safe.

Locals Find!

You guys should be fine. Just do like us Floridians do. Make sure you got food, water, & toilet paper packed up in watertight containers. Board up the house, pull out of bottle of your favorite booze:bushmill: and some cards. Kick back and wait till its over. Nothing that makes it that far up will be too strong. Your water is too cold for them to build up strength. Irene will weaken quite a bit by the time she reaches you. Good Luck!!

Marlene

as of this morning, the eye of it, after it passes over you Tony, is set to go right up along the border of New Hampshire and Vermont. so after it is done with your neck of the woods, I'm going to get nailed. they are putting agencies in place to deal with like the Red Cross and have advised us to stock up, fill the gas tanks on the cars and have some cash on hand.

SignManiac

The twenty five years I lived in Montauk, I experienced sixteen hurricanes of varying degrees of strength and damage. Being without electricity was by far the worst part. The best part was the surfing condition before and after. I was pretty good at boarding up windows and battening down the hatches. Hurricane Bob my namesake was a pretty damn good one, but the one in 38 totally destroyed Montauk. I personally prefer hurricanes over every other disaster. At least you have plenty of warning unlike earthquakes and tornadoes.

Techman

depends on what side of the storm you will be.
Katrina come over right my house and every thing East for 100 miles was tore up. Just 10 miles to the west was barely touched. I wish you the best. Its actually more stressful waiting for it than getting it.

Marlene

I personally prefer hurricanes over every other disaster.

the ice storm of 1998 was scary but beautiful. I was living directly in the middle of a delcared disaster zone at the time. everything was coated with ice so that the whole world looked like it was in black & white. the trees (that were still standing) were just beautiful.

NEGD

I personally prefer hurricanes over every other disaster. At least you have plenty of warning unlike earthquakes and tornadoes.

Agreed! There's something outstanding about hurricanes... I'm completely obsessed with weather... in a different life I would be chasing tornadoes and flying into the eye of hurricanes.

Billct2

It could get real messy here in coastal CT. We haven't had a good one since '85? So there's a lot of stuff that's ready to go down in a good blow. Especially when the trees are heavily leafed out.

SAS

The twenty five years I lived in Montauk, I experienced sixteen hurricanes of varying degrees of strength and damage. Being without electricity was by far the worst part. .

I agree no power sucks, I was without power for seven days from Floyd and four days from Fran. I have been thinking about my printer, I don't know if I want to unplug it for about 24 hours until the storm passes or just hope for the best. I had a power surge that set a small fire in my apc about a year ago. That burned up my main board and cost $2k to fix. If the power is out for more then a day guess I can power it up with a generator to get ink to the head. Any thoughts?

MikePro

its ok!... there's an Evacuation plan in place for all those to be affected
Picture 4.png

Tony Teveris

Well back to work - here it is Tuesday and no power at the farm or at home and no one knows when it will be back. Lots and I mean lots of apples on the ground, mostly Macs and not quite ready for cider. Many young trees 1" in diameter just snapped. 2 out of 3 coolers are running from the PTO generator and we sorted / emptied the 3rd cooler moving everything into the other two. A mess it is but we've had worse.

At home I had a huge 28" dia Ash tree fall on the house, ripped the roof ridge shingles off, put a 5" hole in the roof. The tree then rolled off the house onto the deck where it sits until the insurance guy comes around. The tree is about 80' long. Lots of fire wood. Lost some smaller tree tops - just really want the power back.

Marlene

back to work today too. we just shut down the shop as most of us live in the boonies. a ton of roads closed up my way due to flooding. the whole state got hammer with floods. not much with winds, but water. thre are over a dozen towns totally cut off with all roads and bridges into them gone. our roads flooded but where there when the water started to receed. some places, it just took the entire road and everthing under it. real mess for a lot of people.

signage

Glad to see you made it through it also Marleen! News said Vermont got hammered, so good to see you seemed to have faired well.

Marlene

Glad to see you made it through it also Marleen! News said Vermont got hammered, so good to see you seemed to have faired well.

thanks. I live up by the Canadian border and one of the major rivers flows thru here and we have a lot of run off from the near by mountians. that river flooded but because it always floods, things have been built so they aren't so much in the way of the river. the places that got hammer are places where there really isn't much of a flood issue.