• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Got a check from a scammer today!

Pat Whatley

I can't believe it. I finally got a scammer to send me a bogus cashier's check!

I had a dishwasher for sale in the local classifieds. The dishwasher was $100 Here are the emails

SCAMMER: Hello. My name is Baugh Jr. I would like to buy the DISHWASHER_-_WHIRLPOOL dishwasher from you. But i would like to have some pictures,the current condition with the last asking price. please get back to me with this. hope to hear from you soon.

ME: Dishwasher is $100 but if you can get it before Monday I'll let you have it for $75. There's nothing wrong with it, we just changed the color of our appliances. Sorry, I don't have any pictures of it.

SCAMMER: Im very sorry for the late respond. the price is good. Dont worry about the pictures Ok. please calculate the shipping cost to Indianapolis, Indiana and get back to me with the total cost, let me know if you accept check? I will need your Full Name, Address in full (No Po Box) City, zip code, and Phone Number. You can also provide any other information for me that would assist the transfer to be complete.
I would need the following information from you ASAP because we are moving to our new apartment very soon,I would be happy if we can finalize this deal within 4 days.just get back to me with the required information so that I can make the transfer to you. Hope to hear from you soon.
Regards

ME: Crating and shipping on the dishwasher will be $320. Honestly, you're probably better off going to a local store. You'll be able to get a new one for less money.

SCAMMER: No, new one won't work. Our apartment has cabinets specially made for your dishwasher. Other models won't fit. We tried them all and we just have to pay for original type. We look for a year before finding your ad. I will send payment out today, look for it by Monday.

TWO DAYS LATER

SCAMMER: i wanna let you know the the check has been sent to you yesterday. but there was a little mistake in the check. the amount on the check supposed to be $103 but there is mistake. I issued out $3,105 to you. i want you to do me a favor. please what i want you to do for me now. When the check get to you please get in touch with me. you might receive the package this weekend or next week. Im giving you extra 50$ to remove the AD from bullentin board. it was a silly mistake.But Im very sorry. Get it cashed and deduct your money $55 and send the remaining exces fund back to my client. You will get the check real soon,it is out already. please help me send the the excess fund on the check to my client when you get the check cleared. The check is out already. you will get it real soon. please update me when you get the check. so i can let you out my client information for you to send the money. waiting to hear from you. have a nice day.

ME:
Whoa! That's a big mistake. I'll let you know as soon as it gets to me so I can get that back to you.

SCAMMER:
Thank you so very much. The check is already out and my client needs his moneys. For your honesty he has offered to let you deduct an additional $100 if you can transfer the funds to him as soon as possible the day you receive the payment. It was my silly mistake.

Attachments

• check.jpg
    check.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 90

Kottwitz-Graphics

I got the same thing when I was trying to sell a trailer...

Funny thing is I got the check, took it to the local police. Then I got a call from the guy a couple of days after, wanting to know when he would get his "refund".

Pat Whatley

I just noticed that the envelope is postmarked Northern Ireland. Now what a guy in Northern Ireland doing getting a cashier's check at a bank in Atlanta, GA to have a dishwasher sent from Montgomery, AL to Indianapolis?

Police hell....this is going in the office on the Wall of Fame!

Now I'm going to see if I can get him to send me a picture of himself to verify that he is who he says he is before I send the money back to him.

GypsyGraphics

I realize this is a bogus deal, but what does he want to happen? Is he thinking you're going to send him the overpayment and the appliance before it clears? Is the scam that banks don't know right away if that kind of check is legit, so it seems like it clears but then comes back to bite you.

Pat Whatley

He's expecting me to deposit the check, then wire him the money. By the time the check gets returned it'll be too late, he'll have the money and be gone.

He could care less what happens to the dishwasher.

GypsyGraphics

He's expecting me to deposit the check, then wire him the money. By the time the check gets returned it'll be too late, he'll have the money and be gone.

He could care less what happens to the dishwasher.

Well i don't think the misses will be too happy when she has to the dishes by hand again tonight... that guy's in big trouble.

speedmedia

Why wouldn't you be able to just take that to some check cashing place like some of our local larger grocery stores and just cash it and keep it and teach that a**hole a lesson?

Either that or call the FBI...

Thanks,
Kurt

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Very cool - keep us posted on what happens next.

You should tell him you can only send the excess funds back to him by company check.
Get his return info and send him a nice coro 3x8ft presentation check by FedEx or UPS with the shipping COD.

wayne k
guam usa

SignManiac

Pat, you should write back and confess to him that you cashed his check, then spent it all on cocaine and hookers while gambling in Las Vegas, which is what I would have done!

Apologize profusely, and swear to him you will personally return every last penny to him in cash, if he can give you the location he lives at..

SignosaurusRex

Same shit just happened to my youngest son today. Received an $1,875 check for a $75.00 item. Same basic situation. I gotta compliment my son, he was onto the scammer instantly.

weaselboogie

I'm assuming that even though it's a cashier's check, it will route like a regular check with nothing in the bank. The reason that people are falling for this is because it's a cashier's check, which aren't suppose to bounce.

You deposit the check, send them their 'refund' and then a week later you get a letter that their check has bounced and the money that you already sent is gone forever.

Check cashing places probably verify that the money is in the account, so that wouldn't work either.

Here's a good read on how someone scammed a scammer... http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

Si Allen

Pat ... am I mistaken ... or are you a magnet for every four flusher, scammer, and pain in the ass that comes along?

:omg2:

SignManiac

LOL Si, I was about to start a new thread about how Pat manages to fall into every possible bad deal imaginable in this business.... I've heard of being a tool, but Pat is a magnet, and I don't mean a chick magnet :)